WSBK: Iberian Trifecta Pt3 (Spoilers from the Portuguese)

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was his thing. :nod

Trying to recall who won more than one championship at the wsbk/mgp with that style. KS got one, Haga maybe? There was guy who really backed it in...
  2. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well there was some good close racing which you don't always get at this track, so I'm happy even if my prediction was wide of the mark. As far as the Championship goes both Toprak and Rea had a win and a DNF in the two main races, so Toprak's sixth in the wet superpole race versus Rea's DNF making the difference overall. I should give credit to van der Mark and BMW for their convincing win in wet conditions, now if they could only repeat that in the dry. Also great riding from supersub Baz on Go-Eleven Ducati, maybe a replacement for Davies next year?

While I like Toprak and I'm very happy that there is some competition for the championship I'll admit that I'm not a fan of some of his overtakes. To get my biases out of the way I'm a Brit and I'm also a Ducati fan, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating good racing and giving credit to 'the other guy' whether that's Scott Russell, Jon Kocinski, Colin Edwards or Ben Spies. But, I don't like Toprak's 'barge someone out of the way' overtakes and apparently neither do Rea or Redding. They've both said that they prefer to race cleanly but they're both willing to scrap with their sleeves rolled up if that's what it takes. I hope that it doesn't.
  3. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see what you’re saying, but JR is as guilty as anyone regarding aggressive passes. And this is the thing. Razza knows there is only one way to beat him, and that’s to ride just as aggressively.
    It’s a dangerous game that I commented on after the Catalunya round. (The Superpole race was ‘out there’ between those two before it was red flagged. Crazy shit!). Redding is seeing this and is not afraid to voice his concerns….
    So I guess we’ll see how it pans out. Not in tragedy we all hope…
    But as far as racing entertainment goes, it doesn’t get much betterer!
    Scoozi, Bigger Al and RiderGary like this.
  4. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've seen Rea pull some very hard moves over the years, and it makes me chuckle to hear him gripe about someone finally doing it back. It's obvious how hard he's having to ride just to keep up with Toprak, having seen a boot or two off of the outside peg now and again.
    UngaWunga and Scoozi like this.
  5. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure that I'd call Rea a 'dirty' rider, I remember that year they used the reverse grid for Superpole races and he overtook lots of riders really quickly without running into anyone. There again the Kawasaki this year has been held back a lot and the way that Rea is riding (and crashing) it reminds me a lot of Davies on the Panigale which was also held back by the regs.
  6. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep yep.
    Not saying JR is dirty. But he is aggressive, in the strongest sense, particularly in the early stages of races.
    He’s met his match.
    Scoozi and Bigger Al like this.
  7. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    He ran of Davies head last year when racing hard... lol...