WTF? Well that aint right.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RyLaN, Jun 3, 2015.

1. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
    Bought a 2014 800GSA brand new from the dealership.
    Not long after purchase I replace skid plate with a better one. While replacing I make sure to not over torque the mounts, everythings good.
    The other day I do my oil change and take the plate off only to discover my forward mounts stay attached to the plate, the rear ones are fine.
    I notice that the rubber part of the mount looks smooth and cleanish. Thinking that the forward mount must be "glued" to the pan, I mount the plate after completing the job only to have one rear mount fall off in the socket, i was still carefulcareful not to over tighten these mounts but I think they are a week point to begin.
    Anyways, I call BMW and try to order new ones, apparently all the mounts are the same and let him know my forward ones dont have the upper part threads. I go home and take pics and it looks like I have a defect.
    What do you guys/gals think?
    Cant uplaod photos, can some pm me an email and maybe post for me?
    Have to get up to speed on how to use this thing.
  2. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
    So I called BMW to set up an app and they said my "Rubber had torn in half", which got me thinking.
    The mounts are made of two galvanized, "carriage" type bolts, each one vulcanized to either end of the rubber. On the forward two mounts the bolts were not secured deep enough in the rubber and, when I applied pressure, I spun the rubber off the bolts that were secured in the oil pan thus to me it appeared to be just "glued" to the mounting points when in fact I was looking at the "head" of the upper "bolt" still in the engine.
    What an awful design.
    Anyways, can't get in to the dealer until the 26th to get a fix, so might do myself.
    Still trying to post pics but I'm an invalid when it comes to resizing pics and such.
  3. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
  4. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
  5. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you "bash" the "bash plate" in standard off road type situations...going over logs...sump it out on rocks...etc, you will kill the rubber mounts.

I'm on my 4th complete set, with a spare set in the tool box.

Cheaper than rigid mounting and punching holes in the sump.

It's largely because they took a road bike engine and crammed it into a trellis frame in such a way as to allow for a "long travel" front end. The GS incarnation of the Rotax engine is actually sitting in the frame with the cylinders more upright than the road going models of the bike. I can't remember the exact angle, but it was rotated rearwards about 15 degrees to allow for the longer travel front end of the GS version. The sump is different in order to have the base flat. I haven't had a real good look at the road going versions, but I think it affected the depth of the sump as well, in order to have the bashplate mount flat.

The balancer assembly underneath the engine produces the extra low sump. Not a problem in a road bike.

Most "Adventure" style bikes use recycled Streetbike engines to save costs, with a trellis style backbone frame in an effort to save weight and give rigidity to improve on road handling.

The trade off is compromised ground clearance, and nothing solid to mount bash plates to.

Don't rigid mount it, whatever you do. It wont last long if you do.
  6. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
    Hi Snowy,
    Thanks for the reply and info.
    I used to have the older 650 dakar and remember how nice it was to be able to mount the plate to the frame.
    I have only been using my bike for more of a commuter and maybe 500kms or so on gravel/logging roads so to have the mounts come off after only riding kinda sucksÂ… for sure it makes me apprehensive about hitting anything with the plate as it looks like I will have to pack it home on my back.
    I had thought of rigid mounting the plate but then of course the force is then transferred to the oil pan and that is bad for obvious reasons.
    In your experience, what is the best way to remove the old bolts from the pan?
    Are they reverse thread? Can I just throw a socket on them and wrench away or is there a trick?
    Any info would sure be appreciated.

Has anyone ever thought of maybe adding a couple cross members to the frame below the engine and mounting the plate to there? Without measuring it up Im not sure what clearance would be lost.
  7. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    if the rubber is just spinning. yank or cut it off. the you can grab onto the rest of the bolt with pliers.
  8. greenthumb

greenthumb b00b

Oddometer:
    The original plastic skidplate has a hexagonal recess for the mounts that prevented this. It's a shame that the aftermarket plates haven't incorporated this feature.

When I take my skidplate off, I hold the metal portion of the mount with a wrench.
  9. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
    The rubber spun completely off, dont know when this happened only that it was seperated when I removed the forward nuts. Strange thing is that when i went to unscrew the forward mounts they just spun around and around pretty much by hand, so it is possible that they were that way since I installed the MOD plate as they have two extra bolts right up front and still held the plate.
    It would make sense that the original plate was better suited for the bike design wise in regards to the mounts but I think they could have made a better fastener.
    Either way I bought a new mount kit and will try one more set before I buy the stainless ones from the link The Maz sent me.
  10. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure I just put a socket over the broken off bit and unscrewed it.

I don't remember anything hard about it.

The last time I looked my rear ones were stretched really badly to the rear from an impact of some kind. The bashplate end was literally 15mm further rear than the sump end. They hadn't come apart. So they seem to be pretty tough.

It's usually because an impact has bent the front bracket, and everything shifts rearwards. When it happens bad enough, on or more of the rubbers separates.
  11. RyLaN

RyLaN 14 F800 GSA

Oddometer:
    Great everyone,
    thanks for the replies. I'll give it a shot this weekend and see if the install works out. If I have any issues I'll write it up.
    Thanks again.