WUMPA - my DMC R1150GS Adventure rig

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by DRONE, Apr 26, 2011.

1. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    DRONE:

Re tilt control/linear actuator problem.

I know you were having trouble with it at least as far back as early June, and that Jay thought it was an electrical short.

Were you able to chase down the problem, and fix it, before you left on your CDR trip?

From your description of what happened on the CDR, it sounds mechanical rather than electrical. Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Duncan
  2. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    They teach superstition where you went to school ? Or did you start out in the Roman church ? Claude warned me that the lads will all be superstitious now :lol3
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Before I left on the trip, I should have disconnected the power supply to the actuator then checked to see if it would stay in place or continue to back down on its own. I never got around to it. Anyway, the actuator crapped out in Lima, MT. There in Lima (after it was too late) I disconnected it from the power supply and turned the shaft by hand to the middle of the length range. It still backed itself down. This suggests the problem was mechanical. Unless the electric motor inside the actuator needs power to "freeze" the shaft -- but I kinda doubt this.

When I get the car back, I think I'll take the actuator apart and see if there's something inside that broke.
  4. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I have met Jay,and talked to him a few times when I was starting my hack adventures.He is VERY opioninated and can come across very harsh.I found that the REAL person there you want to deal with is BARRY !!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hve to agree with DB.I have a DMC rig That has broke more times than I want talk about..Right now its sitting with a broken mount on my camber adjuster.Something that small can shut you down..I'm right now thinking and figuring how I can get some cash up to send mine to Claude for a proper built rig..I have the same GSA as DB mine has a Ural tub and I like the setup,BUT I've lost the trust in the builder..I will go uot of my way to talk another rider from going to the PW instead of nearby..
  6. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, Burt. But I hear you. About the third time something fails you start losing confidence in the product or the provider. I have nothing but great things to say about Claude, have never felt like I was getting a hard sales push, just honest information from a very above board man.

If I had one complaint about his work it would be that it's so good I soon started pushing my rig much harder than ever. I could never do a three tire power slide before getting his swaybar installed! His work has turned me into a maniac on the back roads! :D

Give him a call.
  7. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Hey Pete,
    Do you have some pics of the swaybar install Claude did on your Hannigan, or a link? Thanks,
  8. Boondox

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, that means I'd have to stop riding long enough to take some pix. I'll try to do that this weekend since we're supposed to have nasty thunderstorms this afternoon. In the meanwhile, here's a teaser taken near the top of Beartooth Pass, a twisty road where I really noticed the difference. The OEM Hannigan swaybar was about the diameter of my index finger and was easily overwhelmed by my spirited way of taking mountain curves. Claude's swaybar is, well, massive!

[​IMG]
  9. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peter: like they say shit happens agin &agin&agin..Yeah already talked to Claude..Just need the cash and its going Claude..Then we can shove all that DMC stuff where the sun don't shine..I'll try coming out next year... I'm sorry Drone for stepping on ypour thread..Good Luck my Hacker friend....:freaky
  10. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I ran a Heidenau K60 Scout on the front for almost the whole time I've owned the rig. I really liked the K60 and have posted up here before about it.

Here's a pic of one just mounted--

[​IMG]

And then when it's all squared off and near the end--

[​IMG]

When I was in Kalispell--Day 5 of the GDR--I mounted a TKC80. Never had one before (on any bike)--

[​IMG]

Only had the tire for 900 miles before my wreck, but I wanted to post up my impressions. First of all--loved it! :raabia

I was surprised to discover that it actually felt SMOOTHER on pavement than the K60 despite having a more aggressive knobby tread. Then on gravel, oh boy, really a confidence builder. The TKC front has a rep for being short-lived when mounted on a GS and used on pavement, and I'm guessing that with the added weight and lack of leaning on a sidecar rig the tire would get used up pretty quick on paved roads. But I think it would hold up pretty well on gravel. If I was planning a long gravel ride like the TAT or the GDR or a COBDR/UTBDR loop, I'd definitely want a TKC80 on the front.

Just my 2ยข.
  11. Boondox

Oddometer:
    Ned - I also just switched to the K-60 (all three corners) and was immediately impressed! I'd tried Tourance up front before, but only got 5k out of it. Tried Anakee II next and it was bald in 3500 miles! On the run to Oregon I used an ME880 on the front and while it still had tread left after 8800 miles its ability to initiate a turn on dirt or gravel was marginal at best.

Fall is coming up here in New England and with it my need for traction on the back roads gets bumped up a notch or two. So I decided to try the Heidies in the standard GSA sizes. My impressions:

Rear and Hack 150-70/17: The continuous center strip will probably result in decent life, but it also has much less grip on curvy dirt roads. Since I like power slides that's not a bad thing, but it did take me by surprise the first couple of times. After a few hours practicing my new found ability to slide, it's actually kinda fun. But my bet is that strip will severely impact my traction in mud and snow. :shog

Front 110-90/19: I really like this tire! It grips in the dirt even when the rear has broken loose. It's just a tad squirrelly on pavement, but our roads are so bad anyway that it really doesn't matter. Others have complained that they howl at 70mph, but I didn't notice it today while slabbing at 80. The truly surprising thing was this tire has completely eliminated the low speed headshake on my rig, and steering up to about 60mph is easier!

I experimented with various tire pressures on the Tourance, Anakee II and ME880s but never completely eliminated the shake. The 880 required a lot more steering effort than the other two even when brand new, possibly because it was a 120-80/19. But the Heidi was steady from the start, and steering is far more nimble than I've experienced since starting the hack thing 44,000 miles ago. If they wear well I might just have discovered my new fave! :thumb
  12. walkingbear

walkingbear Lets Play Chicken! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just took the R1150GS on her first trip from the house.

Got Thurs. worked on a few things. The first 2 miles down the road was fine. Carrying 100 lbs of sand. Was going to make a right turn and I forgot to steer and it went left fast. Learned a lesson and there is a sticker on the the windshild in bold letters STEER .

I have the same set up as you .. what did you do with the abs. Did you leave it on. I felt the side braking and it was pulling right. I guess I will get use to it.
  13. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Many years ago I had a Dymo label maker and but COUNTERSTEER on the top clamp.
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Crawl then walk then trot then run. It'll come.

No ABS. Brakes are conventional. Completely removed the ABS modulator.
  15. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    i've just returned to the forum after some time
    i just read of your mishap
    YOUR RIG was one of the main reasons i got mine
    everyone here knows that

so...
    i'm sorry about your crash
    i'm thankful you were not hurt more seriously
    i'm happy your shared this with us, but sorry you had to, obviously

i'm just now trying to ingest and digest all that you've written here, my friend
    in disbelief, quite frankly
  16. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    please keep us informed with more updates such as these
    thanking you in advance
  17. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Oh My GAWD!! :eek1:eek1:eek1 He's B-A-A-A-C-K!!!!

Welcome back, Doc! :clap:clap:clap

I thought maybe you'd decided to emulate your daughter and take up paddling full time--

[​IMG]

That's you kneeling in the Stroke position, yes?
  18. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    where'd you get that picture of my family? :rofl
  19. walkingbear

walkingbear Lets Play Chicken! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sat looking at the car this evening figuring how to wire a 2nd battery into the back of the car. Like you I carry a cpap when camping. I think I will use a dual switch. Do you run the connecting wiring directly to the existing battery or do you a different frame ground and just run the hot ?
  20. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I just have the one main battery. I'll send you a PM explaining my CPAP setup.

There are lots of threads discussing CPAP setups--try one of these.

Also lots of threads discuss dual batteries and isolators--here.