Wunderlich adjustable gear shift lever (China version)???

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by mackdaddy, Aug 29, 2017.

1. mackdaddy

mackdaddy Finding my way Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey gang,

I have a 2014 BMW F800GS Adventure. I was thinking of changing the gear shift lever to the Wunderlich adjustable gear shift lever. It seems like a quality product. I noticed that there are china "copies" of the exact same model on Ebay for a substantial discount in price. I wanted to know if any inmates were using the "copy" part on their bikes and if so had your run across any quality issues. Thanks in advance for your response.
  2. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    I have bought my share of Chinese farkles and felt the quality was outstanding for the price and did so because of ridiculous pricing by Wunderlich and other big namers. I'm sure the shift levers follow suit.
  3. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Tigershark,

Thanks for the reply. I have to say from what I have seen the quality looks to be pretty good. I am trying to really understand on the why the super markup by Wunderlich and the others. I think the simple answer is "because they can". I really appreciate the honest feedback. I think I will give it a shot :-)
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    you kinda said it in your first post. the "china copies" are just that.. copies. original wunderlich parts had the design and testing done by them, that money needs to come from somewhere. i'm also pretty sure that altho you'll find the copies adequate quality, they'll also be made of cheaper, softer, stinkier materials.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  5. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Everyone to their own opinion.

Chinese copy the design, but they still have to build the tooling and equipment to make the stuff. I worked in U.S. R&D. My salary and benefits certainly added to the final price of the product, so I won't argue your point. After buying a number of ebay China accessories though, I would argue the quality issue. My $30 risers are top quality and every bit as good as Rox. I've bought levers at $20 for the pair and seen Brembos priced at $199 per lever. If you buy the stuff and it's junk, then it's a waste of money. But, none of it adds value to the selling price of the bike and if the quality is 99% - 100% equal, then the premium prices are just as big of a waste.

Sometimes I choose Revzilla or Twisted Throttle over Chinese. One example is my Puig crash bars. But, Wunderlich is way, way overpriced. The only way I'd buy from them is if they were the only choice.

One Chinese ebay item that typically is junk are LED turn indicators. Probably true for most Chinese electronics. Machined metal components tend to be the opposite and are amazing quality for the price. Not cheaper, not softer and seem to be pretty much odor free ;-)

Strictly my opinion (based on my experience).
  6. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Hey gang,

Thanks for all this great feedback and info. It is very interesting to hear all the feedbacks on this topic :-)
  7. trampstamp

trampstamp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll dig up the info if you want, but I bought an ims adjustable lever for my 800. Found the part number here on adv rider. Amazon purchase I believe
  8. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    x2 on the ims lever. Mine isn't adjustable it just has a folding tip, but it fits perfect for me.
  9. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered a $5 side stand foot off eBay from China because- well, why not for $5 shipped... Its just a hunk of Al with 3 screws in it. Heck, I can't buy 3 screws from Lowes for $5....

It looks the same as some name brands. Has been working well for a few months now.

Markup on simple items like this is absurd!
    Tigershark48 likes this.
  10. SubAtomicGenius

SubAtomicGenius Moto Villian

Oddometer:
    I have the adjustable folding levers from Touratech. They BLOW. Wobbly and loose at all connections due to shitty machine tolerances, adjustment knob only seems to shift the levers further away from the grips, and the shortest lever length adjustment is just as long as the stock levers. Overly expensive garbage. I'm about ready for some cheap Chinese knock offs.
    ADVwxyz likes this.
  11. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to mess with this thread but can you link to the risers as good as Rox for $30, I really need a set!! Thanks!
  12. cjw25

cjw25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I purchased the $56 Chinese folding lever over the winter off eBay after coiling the stock one into a pretzel. Everything seems great...except, the spring for the folding part. The arms were cut too short and the thing was totally limp. I went through many springs trying to get it working again (need 120 degree, not 90). Spring is not as strong as I would like, but will give it a try.

Shipping was very slow, 3-6 weeks. So if you need something asap, look elsewhere.

Not sure how I would go about returning it or how long it would it would take if I chose that route.
  13. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Buying from Chinese sources is best done on Amazon if they sell the item. There’s more stuff from China showing up there every day. Returns are simple. I recently got a dog bed cushion that ended up being junk. I went to the return item button, printed the no fee return label and Amazon issued a refund. They stated that if the seller argued not receiving it, Anazon could still debit my account, but that never happened. I tossed it in the mail and was done. The Chinese tend to be very accommodating in order to keep Amazon for sales and marketing. The ease of returns and exchanges has me looking there first. I’ve even returned cameras and lenses for refunds because I didn’t like them. Some were Amazon direct and some were from other sellers through Amazon. Never a problem.
  14. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    Good morning everyone. This is great feedback. I pulled the plug and ordered the folding adjustable lever late last year and have to say that I have been very happy with the purchase. The quality has been great and the install was a piece of cake. I have to say that my opinion is that the markup on some of this other stuff (Wunder, Tour, etc...) is absolutely insane at times.
    Tigershark48 likes this.
  15. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
    Agree. I was just looking at a Canadian distributor. Everything was overpriced. For example, a radiator guard was $247. I have a stainless one on order from $30 with free shipping. The Canadian store also had a skimpy looking headlight guard for $241. Crazy.
  16. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    I got my Wunderlich knockoff shifter as stated above. I am trying to figure out what else to go for in the knockoff market.
  17. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
  18. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I have noticed that most of the Chinese sites sell the same radiator guard for the F650GS and the F800gs although the radiator sizes are different. Not confidence inspiring.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
  19. Tigershark48

Oddometer:
  20. mackdaddy

Oddometer:
    I have a ton of Touratech knockoff stufff out there. We’re they having some financial issues at the company a while back?