Wunderlich muffs

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by GSJon, Jan 15, 2011.

1. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have the Wunderlich handlebar muffs - http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8110360.html? got pics of them on? How do they fit around the piss bottle? Oh yeah, I do have the BMW handguards too.

I'm thinking I like the looks of these a little more than the Hippo Hands.

Thanks
  2. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    I've got a pair but I have the Barkbuster handguards.

They don't fit over the Barkbuster handguards...

I haven't fitted them yet but i don't remember an issue fitting around the piss bottle. There's a velcro strap that slips between the piss bottle and the mirror stalk to hold the muff in place.
  3. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Don't have them but I sure wanted some when I was riding in 19 deg F weather this week... The heated grips and heavy gloves were not enough to keep the tips of my fingers from freezing!!!!

I also have the BMW guards and want to know if they fit.
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
  5. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everybody. There is a guy on the BMWMOA forum who has indicated that he could not get them to fit properly and returned them.

Hippo Hands, here I come!
  6. H2R

H2R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let us know how the Hippo Hands work for you!:lurk
  7. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    They have been ordered and will be here soon. I will have to wait for the ice on the roads to, um, melt a bit. Cold does not bother me, the ice does somewhat.
  8. Big Duke 6

Big Duke 6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair really well made it's nice to have the clear window to look through Unfortunately........ I could not get them to fit. I tried them every which way and when I got them on the best way they fit the fastening tab had a pressure on the starter button that would engage it. It's my understanding that the computer won't let the starter engage when the bike is running but I'm not up for the risk. I could see eventually that I would put the key in and turn it to start and it would. I hope you guys have better luck. BTW Wunderlich was excellent to deal with- no problem returning the muffs. Gary
  9. danman

danman Tumbling Dice

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

I have had the Wunderlich Muffs on a 1200gs and an 1100s, they are well made and do the job, but the fit is very tight. The clear window seems like a good idea but don't know how well they would wear in the long term, I bet they would crack and yellow with age. Am now running the hippo hands on my 800GS and the fit seems pretty good, was able to slide the muffs under the brake fluid container. There is a wide piece of velcro hook material that I had to cut some slots in it to get it to go around/fit better and make a better seal over the various wire bundles and mirrors, but other than that no problems. I have the BMW handguards on this bike. The muffs make a HUGE difference IMO, amazing really. You can ride in really cold weather with 'normal' gloves on. Rode in 27 degree weather and was very comfortable. I have even been using them when it is in the 50's as the comfort level is that good for me and I can ride with lightweight gloves. Take a pair of old socks or your girlfriends hair 'scrunchy' (used to make ponytails) and stuff it in the space where the hippo hand meets the handlebars to fill the small space around the brake/clutch lines and wire bundles and you will have no or very little airflow inside the muff. I don't miss the clear windows on the wunderlich muffs, you know where all the switches are anyway, it feels a little odd during the first use but you will very quickly adapt. I also use hippo hands during the rainy season when it is cool (but not cold) and it is great for keeping your hands dry, better and more comfortable that 'waterproof' gloves. The muffs are a bit odd looking on the bike and you will get some funny looks from cagers while using them, but all in all, for me, a great product. Well made, easy to install and remove and easy to pack, taking up little room in the bottom of a case or duffel or strapped to the rear of the bike. I usually pack them on any long trip. Hope you enjoy them. Here is a photo;

Attached Files:

10. danman

danman Tumbling Dice

Oddometer:
    another view of the hippo hands;

Attached Files:

11. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Looks good!

Do you have hand guards? If so, what kind? Do you think they will fit over the BMW guards with spoiler? :ear
  12. danman

danman Tumbling Dice

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have the BMW handguards with the slim protectors and the hippo hands work with no problems. Wouldn't be a problem with the fatter handguards either, but I'm not sure if it will work with the spoiler but it might, depending on how tall the spoiler is. You won't really need the spoiler with the hippo hands anyway and the spoiler should be easy and quick to remove.

Take your time when you do the first fitting of the hippo hands, and see how everything fits, and them snug up the velcro, it is easy to make small adjustments, and pull it all together. Pay attention to where the muffs wrap around the handlebars (towards the center of the bike) as that is where any air flow will come in, they have a little flap built in to take up any slack, but there will still be some gaps due to the various cables and mounts you might have on the bike. A sock works great to really 'plug' any small gaps around the bars. Properly installed you should only have a very small amount of air flow in the muffs. Once you get them mounted, ride around the block a couple times without gloves and you will be able to tell if they are too 'drafty' or if you need to do further adjustment. They may be fine on first attempt.

Once you get the hang of it, it should only take you 5 minutes or so to put on the muffs and off you go. I think that once mounted you should leave them of for a few rides, they are real easy to get used to. Have fun.
  13. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    These do, if you remove the spoiler (I remove the whole windguard and just leave the bar on, only takes a minute to remove):

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239585
  14. Olvi

Olvi Ice Butt

Oddometer:
    I ride also in the winter. I tested some muffs but all of them were crap. Either you had to remove guard spoilers or you couldn't use controls.

Now, here is the first test version of custom made muffs (that may come to production) for F800GS. They are very close to "production ready". No need to remove spoilers and pair can be seated in less than a minute. They are made out of best materials (like Cordura), are very water repellent and have also insulation.

Attached Files:

15. Olvi

Olvi Ice Butt

Oddometer:
    Another shot since I can't upload several images at a time.

Attached Files:

16. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Olvi, those look really good. the hand openings look a little small in the picture though.

I have the Hippo hands now but it has been snowing when I've had the opportunity to go for a ride so I have not in a few weeks now. Maybe this week to try them out.
  17. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are pretty slick Olvi! They remind me of some overboots I had for mountain climbing. Velcro closures?
  18. Olvi

Olvi Ice Butt

Oddometer:
    Openings are actually flat due to unpacking just before taking those pictures. They are not small - at least I didn't have any problems when I was struggling in a deep snow for few ours and I had to take hand out (and put back) many times even when riding.

Zipper and velcro. Around the bar there is a lace closure to prevent wind coming in.

I will take more pictures when EVO II arrives. There are some enhancements.
  19. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    @Olvi. I am extremely interested in those bar muffs. Please PM me if they ever become a commercial product. At the moment I make do with the TT ones, but they are a far from perfect fit. These look much better.
  20. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally got to get out on the bike since getting the Hippo-hands. WOW! What a difference. It was around 0c today when I was out and I didn't really even need the grip heaters - I did turn them on when I realized that they were off. I had on a pair of mid-weight Joe Rocket insulated gloves and was very comfy.

I got the optional reflective stripes in them too. No real good pic of them on sorry but this one will have to do.
    [​IMG]