Wunderlich side stand alternative

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Coach Z, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Coach Z

Coach Z Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the style of he Wunderlich side stand enlarger for the 850 adventure but its out of stock. Anyone have an alternative that is this style where the fastener head catch the stand and hold it on that way?

Thanks for the help
  2. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Touratech version is pretty darn nice.
  3. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    It is a hunk of metal that has a simple purpose and both will perform that purpose satisfactorily. Few people will notice and fewer will care what it looks like. Get the least expensive one that will work. Both TT and Wunderlich sell some good stuff, but they are very over priced especially of something as simple as a side stand enlarger.
  4. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you seen and installed the Touratech version? Yeah it's hella expensive, it is also amazingly engineered and will not corrode, made with top quality materials and precision and will stand up to anything you throw at it.

For me, worth every single penny over buying some POS that will rust or fall apart or allowing some scumbag douche steal another's designs and sell knockoffs with all money going to them and thier country.
  5. Coach Z

Oddometer:
    Touratech is super nice kit and I've had it on multiple bikes. I sort of prefer the CNC's style of the wunderlich to the plate style of the Touratech. For what wunderlich is charging for 50 cents of aluminum and 25 cents worth of fasteners I have zero issue with buying a knock off if I can find one.

I do also love wunderlich and have their crash bars on the bike
  6. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much did the CNC machine cost? How about the cost to R&D the item? What do the labor costs for Americans who work in the warehouse run, what is the value of the taxes paid here, what are shipping costs, what does the labor at the ports to off load the cargo cost and thier impact on American economies.

Yeah, I get all this stuff is mostly made overseas, but the profit is not as high as some may think based on bill of material costs and there are many other values that go into the cost of something locally vs a direct import knock off.

But this is a different topic, your money, absolutely spend it how you see best, no issues there.

Me, I try to support companies who at least higher local people and pay some sort of taxes locally vs a direct import knockoffs that does nothing for my own country and everything for someone else's.

Righteous, I know. Rant over.
  7. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    The term "some scumbag douche" can equally be assigned to those who inflate the price of their products beyond what is reasonable. I don't think the TT version is a demonstration of precision engineering at its finest or made of unobtainium. It is essentially like all the others and preforms no better than a flattened beer can. I've never had an enlarger fail part. I guess I'll never experience the joy of having people gather around my bike to admire my side stand enlarger. I hope you enjoy whatever you buy.
    Coach Z likes this.
  8. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's what I do, lol, I pose for people to admire my bikes....you do you man, like I said, your money, buy what YOU WANT for your reasons.

But to crap on mine and insinuate I'm a poser is laughable, beyond your imagination laughable.
  9. Coach Z

Oddometer:
    I’d buy the wunderlich if it was available but it isn’t currently….moving right along!

Anyone know of a solid style stand enlarger similar to the wunderlich that is available?
  10. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Well you could buy it direct from a European supplier. Sometimes it ends up being cheaper since you don't pay VAT, favorable exchange rate.
    Wunderlich side stand extension BMW F750GS F850GS (sdmoto-parts.com)

R&G From Twisted Throttle? $50
    [​IMG]

Or a $0.60 oversized washer from Tractor Supply, a dab of spray paint and a welder....Different bike, but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

Or add a couple more tools and get to here
    [​IMG]
  11. Coach Z

Oddometer:
    The shipment from euro supplier comes to just a hair shy of $100, the R&G doesn't fit the adventure model. Parts for the 850 adventure seem to be slightly harder to find then the 750/850 which is a bummer.

I may break down and get some plate from McMaster and toss it in the manual mill. trying hard to just buy this before the MOA rally. TAKE MY MONEY!
  12. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    No, you are making this harder than it needs to be. Per the parts fische, the 850/850ADV share the same sidestand.
    sidestand.PNG
  13. Coach Z

Oddometer:
    Well that's certainly puzzling. When I got the bike in 2019 I had purchased two different feet for the stand that were for the 850gs and they didn't fit at all. The R&G site also shows that for the 850gs but not for the adventure. Looks like I'll give that a go and see if it fits. Thanks
  14. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it possible the sidestand is the same part, but clearances are different between the GS/GSA versions such that the foot expander creates interference when folded up or while swinging down?
  15. Coach Z

Oddometer:
    Possibly? Just to keep the confusion going Touratech shows two different parts for the 2019 GS vs GSA
  16. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    A factory lowered version of the GS/GSA may require a different version of the side stand enlarger.