Wunderlich skid plate

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JGoody, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I agree with what you are saying here except I'm sure my bike weighs quite a bit more than 450 lbs with all the crash bars and stuff! My personal theory is that a stiff plate spreads the impact to all the mounts. My MOD plate is certainly holding up really well to my "normal" off-road rides which did in the Touratech BMW plate so I guess that is all that matters for me.

2. Tom Morrison

Tom Morrison Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Blah blah blah... LOL... Who says the English aren't emotional. Seriously, when it comes to argument, less is more. Less specious reasoning, less hyperbole leads to greater credibility.
  3. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    People used to say that Canadians were polite as well.
  4. Tom Morrison

Tom Morrison Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some claim we are a nation of peace-keepers. Plenty of Left-wing pop-culture myths out there about us Canucks.
  5. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Yes, only the left has has myths.....

6. Tom Morrison

Tom Morrison Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Given the events of the last few weeks in Montreal, it is more than a liitle laughable that anyone would brag about how polite a nation we are. LOL!

From what I've seen of the world, Canadians are nothing special in that category. Mind you, when it comes to a sense of entitlement, you Quebecers are second to none.
  7. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    Hey don't get all emotional on me.

8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys are funny...... Seriously.... Is 4mm aluminum enough..... I thought 5 or 6 were desirable..... I think 4 is a little thin for the good bashing. Of course diff. alloys differ in tensile strength. Seriously though.... As we Danes are extreemly nice....:DNot want to step on any toes here..... but a sincere question......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  9. Motoriley

Oddometer:
    It sure seems solid enough. I mean the thing is pretty heavy. I really do think that anything that would destroy that plate would push one of the mounts through the oil pan. Don't worry about toes, it is always hard to discern the tone of someones writing when they are being funny or in my case trying to be funny!

10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D..... Nice.... I would also like to think the company making it....did their research and found it plenty strong..... Good enough....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  11. Tom Morrison

Tom Morrison Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hey, what do you construe as emotional? I did not swear, I did not use ALL CAPS, I just matter of factly stated my view. Dispute it logically, if you can.
  12. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Yes! It's working very well!

We have been making the skid plate for over three years now and no punctures and no problems at all! Literally a few broken brackets as they are supposed to sacrifice themselves in the event of a major impact and of the four, three were the original thin ones before we made the current CNC'd alu one. One skid plate was consequently bent a bit (a hardcore inmate on here, I've seen his footage) and he admitted to it being a very significant impact with big rocks. That skid plate is still in service too, just with a new front bracket and he was happy his bike was protected!!

We aren't a big manufacturer so I'm not going to claim we have thousands out there but there are more than a few hundred around the world. That includes some local riders that I ride with that have F650 GS (therefore lower) and the skid plate has certainly been put through it's paces as well as some other crazy locals that push where these bikes should go!

As I mentioned it's a mix of material, thickness and design that works together.

4mm is excellent for protection without going TOO heavy for the skid plate. I trust it on my bike!!
    Going to 5mm is possible (any super toughies out there?) but 6mm would be REALLY heavy and overkill unless a different mounting system went with it.

Love your carbon work btw! :thumb

Dave
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That makes sense Dave......:thumb...Good looking plate as well. The mounts were/is a concern of me as well... I don't particular want the motor to handle all the impact..... I would like a frame mount.... But...ohhhhh....well....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  14. GrendelMk1

GrendelMk1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol, I'm English? By the bye, always attack the poster if you can't say why he's wrong in a semi-coherent manner ;) Shit, tell me where I'm "specious". Or maybe actually identify the hyperbole. Can you do that for me? Or perhaps actually address what I said instead of pretend that calling me "English" is some sort of debate-ending triumph :p

Fuck you :p Seeing as that was not my first attempt at getting the idea of "protect the basics" across, I'd kinda lost interest in being all shiny happy fuzzy and decided that swinging some obvious was required. Frankly, I don't care if you like it. In all seriousness, if you don't agree with what I'm saying, you REALLY have to do better than "aww, the Canuck is acting up" :p You know, maybe actually address something related to skidplate performance or offroad riding or something else at least tangentially related. Sorta like the fail of the guy above you, yes?

Finally, I can't stress enough how well the MOD plate has worked for me. I beat the shit out of my GS, and the MOD plate has eaten everything I've chucked at it without a whimper. It also fills the "one piece, job done" criteria. Some piece of hardware that required extra pieces just to cover my filter and exchanger would have left me stranded 50+ km from the nearest pavement on my last dirt ride. Something about all that big chunky rock they built the road with. Shit, my rad guard has a couple of tweaked fins from all the flying crap. Oddly, I never airdropped my bike onto a pointy rock the whole trip.
  15. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Thanks GrendelMk1 for the words on the MOD skid plate! I'm very glad to hear you're happy with it :thumb

As for Motoriley's posts I'm not sure that the "tone" is being read correctly. At least that's what it seems like since Motoriley is a big supporter of MOD and has every part we make for his bike. He got the MOD skid plate after finishing off a lesser one actually, so he's a believer.

See you out there!

P.S. Going on the Orca Run this w/e?

Dave
  16. GrendelMk1

GrendelMk1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol, I'm a supporter, too, I've got everything but your toolcase, and I'm contemplating repurposing one inside the right mount of my hardcases :p I just can't call anything right behind the front wheel a good place for tools, no matter if you made it out of unobtanium ;) Every rock hit and drop of water the plate's seen from up front would instead be shitkicking the toolbox, and all I need is a single millilitre of water to infiltrate the case and sit there for a year ;) Not saying your stuff isn't good, but I'd rather mount it outside of the really wet place and just avoid testing the seals entirely.

Motoriley's "tone" is entirely clear, at least IMO. He's got nothing to say to debate anything I posted, so he's poking at my lack of couth. Screw 'im. I don't own any couth, and I don't intend to go buy any :p

I'll miss the Orca run. Bike's in for steering head bearings and front brake pads this weekend in prep for a 7-8 week, 20k+ km north america tour starting June 3. Maintenance, last-minute installations and prep beat out "fun" right now :p