WV Historical Markers - Let's Find All 700

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by pnoman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. RebRider

RebRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't looked at this thread in a while and saw where Ft. Evans hadn't been tagged.
    if the one image is too fuzzy to read will get a better picture.
    IMAG0576.jpg image002-20151025-195635349.png

In 1752, John Evans received a land grant of 500 acres, containing the tract presently occupied by the Evans House and also including the “Big Spring” a natural spring well known by the Native American who populated the area; Big Spring is east of Winchester Avenue and outside the boundaries of the subject property. Late in the Colonial period, the French and Indian War touched that section of Frederick County which would become Berkeley County. John Evans built a stockade fort which bore his name. Gen. Edward Braddock’s troops encamped at Big Spring in 1755 and again in 1759, although Fort Evans is not mentioned in any documents associated with Braddock’s stay. It is known, however that Evans did erect a fort here and that it was subjected to attack by Native Americans in 1756. --- Don. C. Wood, “The French and Indian War in Berkeley County,” Martinsburg Journal, April 25, 2004, p. E-4.

Below link is the the registration form to place the stone house on National Register of Historic Places.
    http://www.wvculture.org/shpo/nr/pdf/berkeley/06000168.pdf.

The house was listed this summer for $325K (de-listed now), no where near 500 acres either .096 of an acre....:nah

10/27/15 edit - John Evans' Fort [​IMG](1755 - 1766), Big Spring
    A settlers' stockade located one mile south of Martinsburg on Evans Run. It was defended entirely by women against an Indian attack in 1756. It was in use by the VA colonial militia after 1756.

39.426640, -77.987304 Rt. 11 South of Martinsburg

Until i can get a clear picture.
    06000168.jpg
  2. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Thanks, RebRider. Looks like that is one that was recently replaced. Rt 11 south of Martinsburg in Berkeley County.

I will update the spreadsheet.

3. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Anna Wallace - Pocahontas County

(I found this one quite by accident. Since I had photographed many of the markers in Pocahontas County 4 or 5 years ago, I was surprised to see this one. I stopped and took photos and planned to check when I got home. Sure enough, it was a new one.)

Location: Intersection of Rt 39/55 and Rt 219 at Mill Point, appx 7 miles southwest of Marlinton, Pocahontas County

GPS: 38* 09' 28.71" N --- 80* 10' 49.31" W

Article from Pocahontas Times, Oct 2010 - CLICK HERE

WV House Resolution proposing a sign at Mill Point showing it is the home of Anna Wallace - CLICK HERE

[​IMG]
    Historical Marker at the junction of Rt 39/55 and Rt 219 at Mill Point. Side #1 facing east.

[​IMG]
    Side #2 facing west.

[​IMG]
    House is located appx 100 meters southeast of the marker.

[​IMG]
    View westbound. Rt 39/55 splits to the right, Rt 219 continues left to the south.

[​IMG]
    View eastbound. Rt 39/55/219 combined from here to Marlinton, appx 7 miles to the northeast.
    Guy Young likes this.
  4. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Mineral County / Maryland - Located on Rt 46 in Beryl, appx 3 miles west of Piedmont.

This marker was listed as missing since the location was listed where Rt 46 crosses the state line in nearby Piedmont. However, Rt 46 wraps back around and actually 2 state line crossings about 3 miles apart. This crossing is at Beryl, next to the lumber receiving area for Verso Industries. Lots of large lumber trucks sitting by the road, so it's hard to see the marker unless you are actually looking for it.

[​IMG]
    Historical Marker - Side #1 looking southbound as you enter WV from MD on Rt 46 (to Jennings Randolph Lake)

[​IMG]
    Historical Marker - Side #2 looking northbound as you enter MD from WV on Rt 46.

[​IMG]
    View southbound entering WV. I got lucky and hit a brief window of opportunity when there were not lumber trucks lining this entire section of road.

[​IMG]
    View northbound leaving WV and entering MD. Up ahead, MD Rt 135 turns right to Piedmont or left to Bloomington.

5. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    James C. McGrew - Preston County

Located on Rt 7 (E. Main Street) in Kingwood, i block east of the Preston County Court House

GPS: Lat 39.472101 / Lon -79.686396

Historical House Website: http://www.mcgrewhouse.org/

FROM WV ARCHIVES AND HISTORY WEBSITE:

JAMES CLARK McGREW, of Preston County (now in West Virginia), was the son of Col. James McGrew and Isabella Clark McGrew and was born on September 14, 1813, n what was then Monongalia County. He was educated in local schools and became a clerk in a general store at Kingwood, Preston County. In 1841 he married Persis Hagans. McGrew went into business for himself and became a prosperous merchant in Kingwood, but he took little part in public life before 1861.
    He represented Preston County in the State Convention and was elected as a Unionist. He voted against secession on April 4 and again on April 17. His continued opposition to secession after his return to Preston County led to his expulsion from the Virginia Convention in June.
    McGrew was a member of the West Virginia legislature from 1863 to 1865. In 1868 he was elected to the federal House of Representatives and served from 1869 to 1873. He was also active in business affairs and was cashier and later president of the National Bank of Kingwood. He died on September 10, 1910, at Kingwood.

[​IMG]
    Historical Marker - Side #1

[​IMG]
    Historical Marker - Side #2

[​IMG]
    View eastbound on E. Main Street, Kingwood (Rt 7). House is to the left.

[​IMG]
    View westbound on E. Main Street, Kingwood (Rt 7). The Preston County Court House is just past the stop lights ahead and to the left.

[​IMG]
    Plaque at site gives more information.

[​IMG]
    View of McGrew House.

[​IMG]
    Another view of the McGrew House.

6. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    New historical marker in Glen Dale:

[​IMG]
  7. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Guy. I've been trying to find time to check the state's updated list to see how many new ones there are out there. It's a tedious process of pulling up each county then comparing lists. I will try to get on that and get a new list published.

NEW PROJECT COMING SOON??? - The state is busy making and setting out 160 sesquicentennial markers around the state. So far, 40 have been made. Not sure if any have been put out yet. I'm in contact with Charleston and will probably start a new thread when there are enough out there to get started.

8. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oddly enough, when they began restoration of the house a number of years ago, they found a booklet that had been published back in the late 30's that listed all the existing markers at the time. My BIL, who was on the restoration team, mentioned it to me after I told him about the quest to locate all the State's markers.
  9. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Very interesting - I looked through Marion and Mon counties online at the updated pages for each county, as well as the Marking Our Past Book, and don't see this listed. Is it for sure in Marion or Mon county?
  10. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Got a reply from Joe Geiger, the Director of the WV Archives and History Dept.

"Mike: I couldn’t view this image but went on-line and found a photo. It sure looks like ours but I don’t believe it is. The inscription doesn’t sound like us."

I also sent it to Matt McGrew, who is now in charge of the markers. We'll see if he finds anything. It sounds like maybe a local group paid for one privately.

Stay tuned. And thanks for sending that in.

11. Miamiman323

Miamiman323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was riding in WV a few weeks ago and came across this historical marker outside of Bowden Cave that looked to be in rough shape and instantly thought of this thread.

[​IMG]

Very interesting wording...
  12. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was by there this summer.
    Thought it was a regular WV marker, forgot to take a picture.
  13. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Miamiman323 - Thanks. i will check on that when I get home Tuesday. In Wisconsin with little internet.

If that is the one on old Rt 33 near the hatchery, I think I may have photographed that one, but not sure.

pnoman
    Miamiman323 likes this.
  14. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Looks like I got the Big Lime & Big Injun Sands marker back in 2009. See page 9 - post #173.

Seems they had money to repave the road since then, but the sign continues to deteriorate.

Thanks for sending it in, though. Sometimes that's how we find missing ones.

Miamiman323 likes this.
  15. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is another just like it as you are leaving Harman for Canaan.
    pnoman likes this.
  16. Miamiman323

Miamiman323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem, happy to help.

I hope you checked out the cave when you passed by. Very cool but after about 40 feet to have to get on your hand and knees which isn't my cup of tea.
  17. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    No - I missed the cave but might check it out someday. Thanks.
  18. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    MERRY CHRISTMAS to all who have participated in this marker project, either by photographing markers or simply reading and learning about our great state.

Still more to come - the state is putting out over 100 sesquicentennial markers next year. Now that I am officially "retired" from riding, I may have to get my photos on my Honda ('97 Civic). LOL

Have a Happy New Year too!
    WVhillbilly and Rider_WV like this.
  19. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always a bike here you can use, and a 50cc scooter if you want to take the slow path. :thumb
    pnoman likes this.
  20. Gabby

Gabby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    St_rydr likes this.