Wyoming ADV POI

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by bigmo, Apr 25, 2018.

1. bigmo

bigmo The Great White North

Oddometer:
    All, I'm actually seeking feedback if you see value in an "ADV" POI file. For background, I'm a cartographer by trade, so I spend most of my day sitting in front of GIS data. I was helping my daughter with an OSM project for her geography class tonight, and started goofing around while they sorted out some ideas. On a related topic, this week, I was planning a big ride for the summer and was struggling to find decent POI information - ESPECIALLY gas. After doing some scrounging, I realized that what's out there is hit or miss and quite out of date.

So what is this? This is a scrape from OSM (yesterday's build). I wanted to focus JUST on the things that I like to have awareness of when adventuring. So I created a POI file for Wyoming with the following categories included:

1. Gas
    2. Lodging (motels & hotels)
    3. Camp sites
    4. Medical (hospitals, clinics & pharmacies)
    5. Food (restaurants, cafes & fast food)

This didn't take much time, and the proper solution is to seek help from a buddy that can do this all in an automated process and post the data to a common spot monthly. There's a few functions that I cannot seem to automate for now - so it's canned for the time being. More importantly, it's OSM...so it's as good as OSM. Generally speaking, OSM quality and accuracy is quite good. Road features are better than POI info, but I spot checked about 100 items and found no errors. Are there some gas stations in existence that are not on this list? Sure. Are there some on this list that may have closed for good this winter? Possibly. The point is, PLEASE verify if you are building a route. You'll see some are named, some are not. Not a dig on Wyoming, but WY has one of the lowest OSM contributer populations in the US. I expect the attribution data to be better in CO & UT.

For me personally, adding this data in Basecamp allowed me a MUCH easier way to plan a route across the state. It allows me to stay on mostly dirt, yet get gas every 200 miles. That sounds trivial, but there's nothing else out there that I am aware of that makes this any easier.

Feedback is a gift.

If valuable, I can do other states. It only takes me a few hours.

Attached Files:

2. Vogel174

Vogel174 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thank you
  3. LApilot

LApilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I would say that Wyoming is probably one of the sparsest states for POI information along with Nevada and New Mexico. I am headed off on the NMBDR in a few weeks and spent many hours digging up data and plotting it in Basecamp. I'll bet I am still missing quite a bit. I don't know how to scrape OSM, or even what that means. However the 5 items you have listed in your post are what I spend my time looking for. If you have time to post up NM I would sure appreciate it.
  4. bigmo

Oddometer:
    Sure thing. If I get a spare hour or two this weekend, I'll knock out NM and post it here and in the NM BDR thread.
    LApilot likes this.
  5. bigmo

Oddometer:
    Just put New Mexico out. Hope that helps.

Here's a visualization (the link will go dead in 7-8 days):

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20180503190454-20022-map.html
  6. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be aware that both Wyoming and Montana are sparse for road data, as well. A lot of the TIGER import is wrong in less-populated areas; more-major roads are missing, minor tracks (sometimes private or not motorized-legal per USFS or BLM) are labeled as roads, etc. This is not limited to OSM; the Garmin maps I've checked, as well as the Delorme atlases, and to a lesser degree the Benchmark atlases, all have a fair amount of crap data in that regard.
    bigmo likes this.
  7. MTMicroAdventure

MTMicroAdventure n00b

Oddometer:
    Bigmo, this is a great GPX file. You've compiled what would take the rest of us weeks to do. Thanks man.
    bigmo likes this.
  8. simon smith 80

simon smith 80 n00b

Oddometer:
    good luck man
  9. Lord Dogmeat

Lord Dogmeat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a great file, thanks for sharing that.
  10. MontanaPaul

MontanaPaul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wow, awesome. anything for MT or ID ?
  11. bigmo

Oddometer:
    As soon as I get caught up at work, I can knock out a few more. I need to spend some time and write a script that'll automate the whole process as I know there's a market/need for it. It's not perfect info, but it sure helps with planning and routing.
  12. MontanaPaul

MontanaPaul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that's extremely generous, bigmo