Wyoming Bridger Nat Forest Greys River Rd advice

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Sourjon, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a big dual sport loop this fall and am looking for some local intel. I want to get from Diamondville/Kemmerer up to Alpine through the Bridger National Forest preferably on gravel forest service roads. Loaded KLR/GS type roads. I've attached a route that looks good from here but someone there may tell me I'm nuts. That's OK :D Big picture I want to get from down near Lonetree up to Teton area and this is the biggest stretch.

thanks for any and all advice!
    John

edit: seems I can't attach the gpx here. hmmm... I'm wondering about Greys River Road up to Alpine. Yep just checked and gpx is now only allowed in the gps forum.

edit again: I cross posted this over in the gps forum with the file attached
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17939295
  2. fooswolf

fooswolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see the attached route
  3. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Coming soon. Seems attachments are disabled. I thought it was only photos. I will upload it somewhere and link to it.
    Here's a screenshot in the meantime.
    [​IMG]

John
  4. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a snowmobile trip thru there a few winters ago. Would be a good ride on a bike I believe.
  5. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Any idea if this is gravel?

John
  6. Graywolf11

Graywolf11 Lobo Loco Moto

Oddometer:
    Between Cimarron Ridge and the Uncompaghre
    It's a good gravel road about 90 miles long. You'll probably want to get gas in LaBarge before you start out. We camped just north of town on the east side of the river on suggestion from the locals at the only bar.
    [​IMG]
    No liquor store in town but you can buy beer at the bar. This is not the bar. Location, location, location.
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a lot of nice fishing both along the LaBarge River and the Greys River. This was the only wet spot on the road so of course we had to play in the puddle.
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful scenery along the route.
    [​IMG]
    You'll enjoy this route. I also have a good route up from Rock Springs if you're interested. It goes through a wild horse area and onto the Blue Rim. Notice the wild motorcyclists in the background Have fun.
    [​IMG]
  7. icebox

icebox Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you like to fish, bring a stick and some terrestials for the Greys River. Fish aren't too big, but some beautiful water. You won't be alone on weekends, lot's of local and regional folks use the area.
  8. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the intel! Just what I was looking for. Can't wait to see it all in person.

John
  9. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode it a few years ago. Nice graded forest roads for the most part. Few spots towards the middle, close to the summit it is less smooth. If I remember right, there is a summit with three watersheds. Columbia, Colorado, and Mississippi rivers. Beauiful ride. Fish if you have time.
  10. BigE_50

BigE_50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That will be a gorgeous trip. I haven't ridden it on a motorcycle yet, but I've been around those mountains a bit. I'll have to put that on my motorcycle to-do list.
  11. Scout_WY

Scout_WY Pirate

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on a back road trip this Summer. Casper to Jackson. Going through the grey area from Pinedale over McDoogle pass (probable spelled wrong). Your ride should be awesome. They have been getting a lot of snow. Probably can't get through there till June is my guess.
    Have fun!
    Scout
  12. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. How are you connecting to the southern end of the road? Coming in from LeBarge Creek Road off 189? Further south on 189 opposite 372/28 the Emigrant Trail heads west then north and meets the Lebarge Creek Rd. Anybody ever ridden it?

John
  13. Graywolf11

Oddometer:
  14. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Thanks Graywolf. If you go right on across 189 the Emigrant Trail continues west northwest to Greys River Road. I'm guessing it's probably like the section you rode above Rock Springs.

I'm trying to shorten Docking Pilot's Forever West route to a week instead of two and I appreciate the help. We are looking at Sept 9-16 to hit it.

John
  15. Graywolf11

Oddometer:

The La Barge River Road turns into the Immigrant Trail that then turns into the Greays River Road. Just before the top Smith's Fork Road comes in from the west. Where does your route come in from the south beffore you hit La barge?
  16. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    We're trying to do the eastern lobe of this route, starting in Yampa, CO going clockwise and cutting north at the green line. Top of the green line is Kemmerer. Well we've got a couple choices. Dutch John in the Flaming Gorge area is a must for gas. From there I want to hit Kemmerer and head north on the little roads and skip LeBarge. We can come up the east side of the lake or continue the original route south of the lake and over to near Lonetree.

[​IMG]

Here's a closer look. Dutch John is on the eastern side of the lake. I'm thinking of turning north off this route at the red dot.
    [​IMG]

John
  17. Graywolf11

Oddometer:
    You'll really like the route across the north side of the Flat Tops from Yampa to Meeker.

The route west of Maybell to Vernal is a big yawn except for dodging hundreds of deer at dusk and dawn. There's a great way to get up to Dutch John through Maybell without going through Craig. It's a nice two lane road with nice sweepers that's hardly traveled. Top off in Maybell as there's no gas until Dutch John. Once past Brown's Park in far NW Colorado it goes to gravel. Check out the attached map.

You can head for Kemmerer from Manila or take the scenic route I described before over the Blue Rim wild horse area. More time involved but worth it if you run across the horses.

I think the only way to get on the La Barge River Road is to go almost all the way to La Barge town. The route that comes up from the west side will make you miss about half of the route.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Yampa,+CO&daddr=Co+Rd+8+to:Co+Rd+8+to:Co+Rd+8+to:Meeker,+CO+to:Co+Rd+7+to:Maybell,+Moffat,+CO+to:CO-318+W+to:Dutch+John,+Daggett,+UT+to:Manila,+UT+to:Rock+Springs,+WY&hl=en&ll=40.975751,-108.242798&spn=2.554665,5.795288&sll=40.474375,-108.31566&sspn=1.287016,2.897644&geocode=FaStZAIdDrSg-SlBYx6_fhhChzEwRtau6ZcFBw%3BFfGDZQIdpp2e-Q%3BFVTbZAId6tqb-Q%3BFUh_YwIdsTua-Q%3BFWHsYgIdVmCR-Skv82E5jipChzEF56sX2Uqe8g%3BFZZiZQIdJqiP-Q%3BFXJAagIdDLmO-SkXVmEHU4BEhzEijVThIS-LfA%3BFZHcbQIdZpeD-Q%3BFWaHcAIdiNN6-SnD3uX-m61ahzHf4VpNEwU9bA%3BFW5tcQId5sN1-SldHNA0hA9QhzHl5aY36lu_bA%3BFQiTegIdKLJ9-SkZi8L16FhahzFwNzAngf4lBw&oq=Rock+Springs&mra=ls&t=m&z=8
    :norton
  18. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Thanks. One of the waypoints for the trip is camping at Echo Park in the Dinosaur National Monument where John Wesley Powell camped in 1869 on his exploration of the grand canyon. The confluence of the Green and Yampa rivers.

[​IMG]

John
  19. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    We need to hit that one John!:freaky
  20. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Mornin' Don! Yeah I agree. It was highly recommended my Tony Heugel and DP had all good things to say about it. I'm trying to plot a route mostly gravel to get from here to north of Kemmerer the next day. Might not be possible. Maybe Flaming Gorge road up the east side of the lake towards Rock Springs. I like Graywolf's route from Rock Springs north through the wild horse area.

Anybody know anything about Flaming Gorge road? Can't tell from Google Earth if it's paved or gravel.

John