Wyoming & Montana route help

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Gordy, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I am planning on going towards Montana starting around 8/24 (looks like I can get away from work). I am going to go through Durango, Lake City, Crawford, Steamboat Springs, and then I have NO IDEA??? I need some ideas for a nice loop through Wyoming, Montana, and maybe Idaho, with the idea of coming back down through Utah. I really want to get around Glacier Park, but need route info and forest fire updates.
    Oh yeah.....this will be a RT ride, so I would rather stay on pavement.:1zhelp
    Thanks guys:thumb
    Gordy

Can't wait for some more of this:
    [​IMG]
  2. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite routes is this..... From the Springs, get to Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park, enjoy the sites and then go north into Wyoming toward the Centennial Valley. You should see and fish the Platte River there and enjoy the sights. From there, on to Saratoga and Riverton, Wy.. The Green River area is quite something and also the home of the Boone & Crockett record Shiras moose. They sure grow big there!!!! Then up thru Pinesdale. You can also opt to catch the Snowy Pass area north of Laramie if you want just out of Centennial. This is a beautiful route thru high country vista and lake abound. Once in Laramie, return to I-25 North to Casper and Buffalo. Catch I-95 to Billings Montana via the Custer Battlefield. Lots of history.... then into Billings . From Billings, take I-90 west to Bozeman, catch 287 to the Madison River area, Virginia City, and again do some fishing...It is the finest. From there, travel to Dillon, Mt. and then get on Rt 43 which will take you around to Lost Trail Pass. Get on
    93 and go north to Hamilton. From there to Missoula is about 75 miles and from there......who knows.. If you get to Hamilton, you can contact me.. Let me know your e-mail and I can give you further..
    It's a little round about but the sights are great.

T-crazee
  3. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Thanks Thump,
    That is the kind of info I am looking for. It's late right now....I'll check that out and get back to ya. I really appreciate the time you took.:thumb Let me digest this tomorrow, and if it works out, drinks and/or dinner is on me.
    Gordy
  4. pathfinder

pathfinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gordy -

How about going north from the 'Boat via Craig and taking 13 north into Wyoming. Then jump on 80 west to Rock Springs and go north on 191 and 189 to Jackson Hole and the Grand Teton National park. This will then drop you out at the southern gate to Yellowstone National park.... Grand Tetons and Yellowstone - it really doesn't get much better than this - and it can all be done easily on an RT

I did this in July 2000 - an awesome trip. From Yellowstone just pick a rode north up to Glacier although the ride out of the east gate down to Cody on 14 is sweet too. The Buffalo Bill museum is in Cody too if my memory serves. Great firearm display there if you are interested. From Cody to Sheridan over 14a is also a great twisty mountain road == :splat

Pathfinder

==============================================

Half the people you see these days are talking on cell phones, driving off the road and bumping into doors....

G Brown
    'Cept you and me Babe
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
  6. pathfinder

pathfinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I puched up the wrong button - sorry for the confusion - 14a out of Cody is s great road to Sheridan - :rofl
  7. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    As usual for me, this is a hurry up deal, with little time to plan, but those are OK. I am sure if I get up there and start asking around, there will be no shortage of great roads and scenery. You guys have a beautiful state, and I am overdue in checking it out.
    Gordy
  8. badroute

badroute Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yellowstone's East entrance US 14 West of Cody has been closed for a week as of Thursday the 21st for fire. Check the road reports!
  9. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    It's not directly on your route, but part of the "million dollar highway" (US 550) is undergoing heavy road work between Durango and Silverton (a couple miles southwest of Silverton). If you go that way, expect delays up to 45 minutes.
  10. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Fatchance,
    Thanks. That would put some bad ju ju on the start of a trip. I think I'll go through Pagosa-Lake City, and go to Joe Cocker's for lunch in Crawford.:1drink
    Gordy
  11. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Badroute,
    Yeah, I just heard about that, so I will go into Yellowstone through the South.
    Welcome to the asylum!!!
    FYYFF
    Gordy