X-Challenge Air Shock Problems

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by W8-4IT, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    hey people, I recommend we continue the shock discussion here.
    instead than in the threadfest.

I plan to print and show it to my dealer - to be protected if anything happens in the future
  2. spicychili

spicychili Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also posted this in the thread fest. GSL gave me a heads up and I checked mine out. Here is what mine looks like.

I have 2000 miles on my bike

[​IMG]
    Normal No Load

[​IMG]
    Normal No Load

[​IMG]
    Under Load

[​IMG]
    Under Load

[​IMG]
    Hello Kitty

[​IMG]
    That is shiny. I can see my reflection
  3. Xchallenged

Xchallenged Bass Ackwards

Oddometer:
    mine

Attached Files:

4. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey: I think this is all anyone needs to do. Stop flipping out and get $1.00 worth of washers.

[​IMG]
  5. slip

slip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If this wear spot is happening to a lot of different bikes, and God forbid, someone gets in an accident because of it, I could see a hefty settlement comming from BMW. That would be just plain neglect.
    Stromius likes this.
  6. slip

slip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's not the point, people pay good money for this bike!!!! It's something that should be corrected. I am sure that there are some unaware owners of this bike, that doesn't have a clue.
  7. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Well, nobody doubts that your the hardware wizard, but not everyone would know the airshock is even an issue. Say average Joe is out riding in the middle of nowhere and gets a hole in his shock? He's pretty much screwed.

Thats a nice simple solution though:lol3 To bad BMW didnt come up with it:deal
  8. x650

x650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mine has a g-spot too.
  9. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Guys, let's be proactive.

I encourage everyone to send a complain to BMW detailing the g-spot problem and our concerns on safety.

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/contact/index.jsp

Im sure BMW will try to solve it. Let's see how fast is their concern.
  10. spawnx66

spawnx66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine had a mark after only 200 miles! :huh:cry I've added washers as suggested and will monitor it very closely from now on.
  11. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Every bike deserves its own doohicky. Now the Xchallenge has one too. Stop whining, at least you can fix, errrr prevent it with two washers.

(no I haven't checked mine yet, and if it had blown I would have gotten a new one under warrenty)
  12. GB007

GB007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get your point max, but the thing is that I would not want mine to blow up in the wrong place at the wrong time... I don't know if the little wearing that it shows now is enough to make it weak. And, YES, we all expect BMW to take responsibility and put two new washers on the new bikes (if that is what it takes) to avoid this problem. The bike is expensive and we all expect 100 % perfect design from BMW.

I put the washers on mine, but not sure if it will stop the rubbing (I think it will). The owner of my local BMW dealer wants to check out my bike, take a picture and send it to BMW. He is responding well so far, and that is cool! :norton
  13. GB007

GB007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took my xchallenge to my dealership for the owner to take a picture of my shock to send to BMW. I get a call today from the service dept. telling me that the response from BMW is that there has been only a single complaint, and the person who pucture the shock was because he allowed the pressure to go too low (not checking the pressure appropriately). Once again, the guy blamed me for supposedly allowing the air shock pressure go down causing it to rub with mudflat. He stated that there was no design problem or guarantee issue, but owner's responsibility to assure the pressure is correct and does not get too low. This is upsetting! I always monitor the pressure and keep it at 85 to 90 psi, so this is not an issue.

Anybody with this problem, make sure you advise your dealership and BMW of the problem and document it, rather than just have a fix (put the two washers). So that BMW takes responsibility and makes changes. Even if the pressure goes down a little, this should not be rubbing, and the company should not blame us (this may be a guarantee issue in the future).

I enjoy my bike, but don't plan to take it for service for a while. It's just an upsetting situation. First I get blame for the stalling saying that I pull the throttle while pushing the start button (which I don't), and then the air suspension wearing... I have never owned anything in my life where I get so upset with dealership response.
  14. slip

slip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, this just pisses me off. It's not like the owners don't pay enough for these bikes, but then they have to tolerate this BS. No thanks BMW. I would never consider this bike. :boid
  15. GB007

GB007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I received an e-mail from my dealership's owner, explaning the situation nicely. Apparently this is just a new issue they will further investigate and take appropriate action. Unfortunately, sometimes service advisors are not trained to communicate effectively or give excellent service. We tend to generalize a brand or dealership based on a single "bad" employee. I have advised the owner to provide better training in communication to his service department, making sure they listen appropriately and express communication respectfully to the customer.

No more hard feelings. But I plan to deal with owner directly next time I need service or I have any other issue in the future..:norton
  16. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:
    Add me to the list of owners whose air shock shows signs of rubbing. I went to the dealership and the service advisor said he would submit a "Panda"(sp?) - apparently that's how dealers submit observations or issues that have not received a TSB. Regardless we looked at the rear of the bike and we agreed that washers might be enough to prevent the rubbing. He gave me 4 washers to double up and I installed them in 2 minutes. It looks like it will work. My bike is pretty new so the air bladder barely shows a mark, but it is there.
  17. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
    I did my fix today, plus advised my dealer's GM about the issue. He had heard about it from guess where? ADVrider!!!
  18. Metteke

Metteke Beemer beat in me

Oddometer:
    It's an other animal they use, called PuMA. This is indeed the way any BMW dealership is communicating with the local service dept, and the local service dept with the international dept in Munich. If there are complaints of any kind, but the dealer is not making his puma case, no further actions will be taken. :deal
  19. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:
    That's it... PUMA.
  20. Scooby6

Scooby6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there guys.
    As all you interesting people haved moved on enjoying your bikes, I on the other hand will be stepping into a dealer in 2 weeks time to purchase a BMW X-Challenge! :clap I'm just about over my recovery from my fall on my Yamaha R1 :cry ... I've decided to make the change to DS after this crash (I've done some offroading).

ANYWAYZ ... I was hoping that you guys now have more experience living with this bike and was wondering if you guys have solved the following problems? :
    1. Hole in shock.
    2. Bike switching off at idle when cold.
    3. Getting the suspension 'dialed in' for most conditions.

Thanks in advance ... And thank for starting this thread in the first place!
    :1drink :ear :norton