X-Challenge Air Shock Problems

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by W8-4IT, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    kwoot:
    1. Hole in shock. Has not happened yet, I bent the inner fender under a hot stream of water, now it doesn't even need the extra washers.
    2. Bike switching off at idle when cold. Has not happened yet. Seems to happen to some but not all of them.
    3. Getting the suspension 'dialed in' for most conditions. I have it dialed in and like it. Admit it does feel different than a regular shock.

Serious, just like every bike it does have its nags. Overall though, it's a pretty nice package. You'll like it!
  2. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:

My X will stumble a bit when its cold, stall but only when its really cold.
    It stalled on me this past weekend during the first few minutes of riding but it was 26 degrees F at the time.
    I honestly have to say that I was going to ditch the X but after trying a few other bikes, I'm born again X Challenge. Its really a great value with the current low prices being offered by BMW. I bought mine for $400 under MSRP, so I have to keep it or lose my ass:lol3

No DS bike is perfect, so pick one and ride:deal
  3. Skaife

Skaife --------------

Oddometer:
    I'm picking mine up this week. Not new but only a few hundred miles. The first thing I checked was the shock and sure enough, it's worn about 1/16". I'll be adding washers... or testing the hot water bendy procedure.

I'm in the desert so the an increase in pressure due to heat is something I'll have to watch. Has anyone noticed an increase or decrease in pressure caused by ambient air temps?
  4. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    TE610 didn't win you over? I liked the chassis on the TE, hate the de-tuned restricted power output, but haven't experienced one de-restricted yet, will soon. The G650X sure does seem to do better on the highway at 70ish though and doesn't mind cruising at an indicated 85ish if desired. Oh and the shock on the rear of the TE610 is definitely more consistant. I like the air shock on my HP2, haven't had alot of problems if any other then the wimpy air pump that comes with the bike. G650X Air pump seems more robust and yet more compact. Air shock on the G650X hasn't really won me over, we have a demo at the shop we equipped with an Ohlins and I do like it.
  5. helixblue

helixblue Daredevil Clutz

Oddometer:
    Was that the demo bike ya'll had this Saturday, perchance?
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Add a few washers as shown in this picture and there will be no rubbing on the shock bladder. I've added 3 washers on each side. There's a whole tread in Thumpers on how to dial in the suspension.
  7. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    The TE didnt fit me at all. I even bought a Renazco but stiil felt cramped. The only bikes that have really fit me well have been the ktm 640 and the X. The TE suspension was much better though but with a bit more dorking around, I'll have that problem resolved. The Ohlins rear transformed the X for me:deal I could never get it the air pressure correct and it was irritating!

At the moment, I need to live with one bike and the X is the best do all currently offered... In my opinion anyway:lol3 My SM wheels are on the way:deal
  8. dircha

dircha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found that the air-shock deflated itself in my garage in sub-zero temperatures. When this happens, the bike tips off of the kickstand. If your bike is going to be stored in sub-zero temperatures, be sure you leave it on a stand not on the kickstand.

Note that losing air has not been an issue now that outdoor temperatures have warmed up.
  9. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    I got my air shock with the original hole in it replaced under warranty. Then I solved issue #1 and #3 by replacing it with an Ohlins. LOVE IT! No comparo to the air shock. It's simply a much better ride. And now that the bike is an inch taller, it actually fits my chicken legs... :lol3

Have not had an issue with bike shutting off. :confused In fact, the engine runs just fine even when the bike is laying on its side :lol3
  10. GB007

GB007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the air shock! As far as the stalling when cold, this was resolved after putting foam air filter instead of the stock paper one... :rofl

I bent the mudflat with hot water... works fine...
  11. GX-MAN

GX-MAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took my bike down through Baja and back through Copper Canyon last fall. The bike has 4000 miles on it, the air shock pressure was kept at 95-97 lbs and has a flat spot worn into the rubber bladder on the shock (the cords are rubbed through). The dealer shimmed the inner fender last fall after my return and the bike was placed in storage for the winter. Now the shock no longer holds air. The dealer said he will order a replacement shock.

My sense is the failure is unrelated to the worn spot on the rubber bladder but that the spot was bad enough it would have eventually failed. Anyone out there getting their shock replaced under warranty and if so, how long do I have to wait for the new shock to arrive? If anyone out there did get their shock replaced, how is their replacement shock holding up? My concern is whether this is going to be a longterm problem that will reappear with the replacement shock. Thank God for a 3 year warranty.

Also, the battery failed......110 degrees in the middle of the desert. We're on a SAT phone 400 miles from the closest dealer and they tell us to bring it in so they can hook it up to a computer......

p.s. Didn't the air shock fail on the Xchallenge the Tourtech couple road through Africa last fall?
  12. johnnydanger

johnnydanger Dangerous!

Oddometer:
    Soooo. I checked my air shock tonight and indeed it was rubbing too. Luckily just surface wear so far. So I looked up this thread and tried the 3 washer thing. It looked okay at first but when I had a friend sit on it and compress it way down it was clearly still hitting.

My solution? I took the fender off and heated it up over the stove on both sides with pot mitts on. Then curved and pushed out the rub area (where the numbers and grid pattern are imprinted). This took about 5-10 minutes of heating, then rubbing, then heating, then rubbing and bending. I then reinstalled the fender to check clearance and now I have 1/2" - 3/4" clearance on all parts of the shock when fully compressed. One caveat is that the fender was bent enough that it's lower edge was pretty close to the tire so I trimmed it up about 3/4" and sanded it smooth. It's all dandy now and no rubbing in sight.

The washer thing might work for some but it wasn't even close to removing all the rubbing when fully compressed, at least in my case.

The key: heat and bending, pushing, and stretching.
  13. Old crawler

Old crawler n00b

Oddometer:
    I have 2300 miles on my bike purchased in Febrirary 2008. The bike is dated 11/06. My shock has a longer wider metal collar below the air bag. This collar holds the mus flap away from the airbag. A cannot see any indication of mudflap rubbing on the air bladder
  14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would you post a pic of your shock showing the metal collar?
  15. Old crawler

Old crawler n00b

Oddometer:
    OOPs I was comparing my shock to a picture of a deflated shock. My shock has the same collar as shocks shown in photos posted to this thread. However I do not have any sign of mud flap rubbing on bladder. I ride with 140 PSI in my shock and damping set soft. Lower pressures have allowed tire to hit the license plate bracket. I weigh about 230 LBS. I am 6' 7" so seat height is not an issue and I probably set a little further back on the seat. 140 PSI seems comfortable to me. I have not measured sag but I do get substantial wheel travel over bumps. Not sure why I don't get any rubbing on air bladder.
  16. mcftw

mcftw hxc n33b

Oddometer:
    you've probably got enough to keep it from collapsing enough to rub!

also i lowered the forks about 3/4" and pumped up the air shock to what felt comfortable, looked down and "i'll be damned! the bubble is right in the middle!" i guess the bubble does work... in a way.
  17. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought an X Challenge. It was a demo bike at MAX BMW. It has about 1,000 miles on the clock. There is a sign of wear on the air suspension. So, washers have just now been installed at the fender bolts. I was considering putting in a Wilbers rear shock anyway...maybe I will. It gives us something to talk about at minumum! :wink:
  18. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put the 3 washers on and then 2 but the bolt does not seem to be long enough to engage the recessed threads. Are you all using a longer bolt?
  19. OR Trail

OR Trail looks for unlocked gates Supporter

Oddometer:
    4 shocks now on my bike in its 1488 miles. It has been out of service over a month. The major problem is a squak as air is blowing by some valve at every compression of the shock, even sitting idle on a workstand at the dealer. I called BMW customer service and was made to seem like I'm a bad guy. The service rep thought the bike was rideable. I had to explain why it wasn't with a shock not installed.

I also was rubbing the fender thing on the shock but that was 3 shocks ago and the washers fixed it.

What's an unused air shock worth? I was told that BMW is charging $1400 for one. So I now have $2800 of replacement air shocks, some value for the initial one, and a coil shock from a XC to find out if that had the same problem meaning a bearing issue or something else.

So, yes I have had problems related to the shock - mostly due to BMWUSA and the bike being sidelined for over a month vs. a 1 hour projected repair. At least now I am certain that BMW could care less despite me having 3 of their bikes.
  20. mcftw

mcftw hxc n33b

Oddometer:
    Trail was the problem more of a nuisance or a more serious problem, e.x. performance or reliability issues?