X-Challenge Air Shock Problems

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by W8-4IT, Sep 27, 2007.

1. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got mine this week, Rose @ MAX's can help you out!

Going to put it in this weekend.

:clap

[​IMG]
  2. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:

Report in please!!
  3. papple

papple Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wondering what the Wilber's set you back?

P.O.
    Papple

4. Skaife

Skaife --------------

Oddometer:
    This is what I was quoted:

Model 640 @ $ 659.00
    Emulsion shock with adjustable rebound damping and threaded pre-load.

Model 642 @ $ 969.00
    Reservoir shock with piggy back reservoir, high and low speed compression damping adjustment, adjustable rebound damping and threaded pre-load.

Optional:
    Remote hydraulic pre-load adjuster at @ 289.00

Warranty - 2 years
    Delivery - 4 weeks
    S&H - $ 25.00

I haven't ordered yet as I'm waiting for some reviews from those that have put some miles on them. :ear
  5. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is somewhat "insane" that these shocks cost ~1 grand when all 4 coil over shocks (16" travel) for my buggy cost 50% more...i know about the laws of economics...but DAMN that's a big ratio variance...
  6. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The amount of technology in a 4 way adjustable wilbers far outstrips anything you put on your buggy, I'm guessing.

Yeah, they cost a lot, but hell, BMW marked the bike down $3k. Helluva farkle budget for me! For my XC build up, I'm trying to stay under the sticker on a new F800GS.

So far, I'm still "saving" money!

:lol3
  7. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not justifying your actions...I've put money into parts for either trucks, buggies or bikes that would not justify the price :D

Agree on the Farkle-savings-potential...same sell I did to the CFO of the house
  8. MZcountryboy

MZcountryboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, so far it's working out for me......

:lol3
  9. katfish52

katfish52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got to ride XChal. today. Works great with Xmoto ohlins rear shock. Rides a lot better & takes ruts & bumps with out the rear of bike jumping around.I can now get off and back on the bike without useing the sidestand.Now is about an inch lower at seat. Just what I was looking to acheive. I just checked Ohlins USA website and there still in stock under inventory cloeseout for $495.00 + shipping $15.00. Hope this helps anyone.:clap :clap :clap
  10. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:

This really has me thinking. I've only had my 650x a short time and went on my first tuff ride sat. I was a bit much for me and the bike. Rocky, rooty, nasty hills and rocky creek crossings. Part of the problem (besides me being a greenie) was the bike's rear end jumping around in the ruff stuff. I lowered the rear tire preasure to 13 lbs and that helped a little. But I had a hard time keep the rear end hooked up in the ruffeys.

Think a Olinn/Wilber would help??? Or change that??

PS. I try to find anyreason to justify what I want....
  11. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    The first ride I did with my son on his new X last year we were riding in a nasty rock section and his bike was not doing the rocks very well, so we dropped the air pressure in the shock 5 PSI and what a world of difference, and now that I have my X I am very pleased with the Airshock, It works better than My Ohlins on my 300 in most stuff, I do not want to go back to a standard shock,
    JMO
  12. MTDewX8

MTDewX8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I already have my name on an Ohlins shock. but that $500 sure its a good buy. I dont plan on installing it till after I ride the Air shock for a summer to make sure I would prefer the convetional one. nothing like dropping $ for a bike part and putting on the shelf. lol

So far I have had no real issues with the shock. but I have yet to ride the bike very much due to break in period :cry
  13. katfish52

katfish52 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    checked Ohlins website today . G650x shock sold out !
  14. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have feedback on the aftermarket options for the X Challenge?
    I think my airshock just took a shit :cry
  15. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Confirmed, my shock is busted a new one is on order from BMW and thank god I am still under warranty. Anyone have any input on aftermarket options?

16. dakardad

dakardad Not waiting for anyone

Oddometer:
    Jolly, what happened to you air shock when it went KAPUT?
    Did it explode (details please)? Or did it just go limp?
  17. johnnydanger

johnnydanger Dangerous!

Oddometer:
    I think the air shock gets a bad wrap. If you get your pressure right and set it to the soft setting it works quite well. If it's on hard or has too much pressure in it it will dance and feel nasty over the bumpy stuff. I've got mine pretty much dialed now and it's plush and rides great on and off road.

The big thing with the air shock is to get that damn rear shock fender tweaked so that it doesn't get a hole rubbed in it. I've got 8,000+ miles on my original one now and all is good.
  18. Skaife

Skaife --------------

Oddometer:
    I see a Wilbers in my future! I'm tired of adjusting the pressure and the lack of rebound damping is flat out dangerous. I've had the rear end come off the ground while seated, cruising on paved roads over small hills at a moderate pace. That's not cool.:eek1

I thought about the touratech but I've talked with too many people that had bad experiences. Most of the problems have been in getting the proper spring rate. I haven't heard anything but positive feedback on the Wilbers. Obviously YMMV.
  19. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is official my shock went dead, it was leaking air and making some clicking and squeaking noise. I would pump it up and it would drop 30psi over night with noone sitting on it, just parked in my garage. I dropped it off at BMW and they are replacing it under warranty. I do not "hate" the air shock but I don't love it either. I have just over 8,000 miles on mine and most of them are off road.
    Johnnydanger do you mind sharing your specs and weight?

Thanks
  20. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    I checked the shock on my X on the weekend and no surprise, it has a small (15mm) flat spot in the usual place. Can anyone give any feedback on how thin the bladder is? (ie. if I fix it now, no real damage done?) Also, what has your experience with the dealers been: denial, replacement with no fix, replacement plus fix issue, discount on Ohlins?
    Dont like the washers idea, so I had a bit of a go trying to heat and bend the fender out of the way but the plastic didnt want to soften up. Looks like I need to give it a fair bit of heat to work.