X-Challenge "Hardless" Guard parts...

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by kutch, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Kiwi Tinkerer

Kiwi Tinkerer Ross

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I have my x-challenge and love it. While the r1200Gs was great on the road it was too much for me off road. I am having a great time on the x-challenge. It will go anywhere. So far, I have fitted bark busters (worth their weight in gold) and modified the seat. (skimmed an inch off the top and punched 10mm holes in the swab.). I have bottomed out a couple of times so have touratech drain plug comming. I have also modded the inner guard. But too late as I do have a nice wear mark. Off to the dealer this week to see what warranty fixes are due this bike. (The bike is only a few months old)
    So now I would like to get the hard parts. I read that the design is open source, so can someone please email me a copy of the file. My brother and a couple of my mates are engineers and have access to the right gear so makes sense for me to get them on to it. Any help appreciated.

Catch ya!
  2. MTDewX8

MTDewX8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I am sorry for this day to come, but I will no longer be able to provide Hard parts for much longer.

even thought I sold my X Months ago all was fine. but with selling my house so fast (one day) I have lots to do to get it ready for the inspector and once moved I am only in town for a month or so. and I really dont want to carry my extra material around. or have to drive to the storage unit. so I am sorry I can't keep this going, but I dont know of any water Jet folks that give me the same deal I get now.

I will how ever be able to do a few more sets for emergancies but really have to move on.
    I can e-mail the file Kutch made and what I was just keeping going. just PM me and I will get to it when I can.
    again I am sorry,

Cheers to all and happy riding a great bike, that I had to sell :freaky
    Stromius likes this.
  3. Reata Rover

Reata Rover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Emergency case of needing the hard parts. Any chance of scoring one of the last sets by any chance?
  4. clearandlock

clearandlock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brooklyn, New York. Home Town Sydney Australia
    Hi All,

I have the CAD designs from John, (very generous handing this out to the community thank you). I am looking at getting a set made in germany.

I have some questions.

How thick are the parts?

What are the dimensions of brake hard part (it is not one to one on the cad file, the stand hard part is one to one)

What is the size of the holes for the bolts.

Thanks all,

Clayton
  5. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    anyone making these, or have the open source file so i can get some made up?
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    If you send a PM to MTDewX8 he'll e-mail you the file. He's still active on the forum.

The parts are made from 5mm steel. The holes are 10mm diameter and are 69mm center-to-center. The overall height is 125mm and the length along the bottom is 90mm.
  7. Poutine

Poutine (⌐■_■)

Oddometer:
    I'd take a right side if you do.
  8. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok, i crunched some numbers and got a quote from the water jetter guy.

looks like it would be around $30 or $35 a set, made from mild steel, raw finish.
    for a little bit more per set i could order the necessary hardware as well. plus shipping.

getting 10 made would be a big outlay for a poor stay-at-home-dad like myself, only 2.5 people have expressed interest (3.5 counting myself).
    if there isnt really an initial demand i would probably just end up making myself a pair using hacksaw, drill, handfile, and bench grinder.
  9. MTDewX8

MTDewX8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow, I surely was getting a good deal on my parts. I think at the end (before I moved) I was getting them shipped for less than that.

if I make a trip up north I will drop a line and maybe get some more made. Problem is all about timing for my stay in town while there getting worked. cause I would have to deliver the steel first.

best of luck and sorry I am un able to get them as easy as before.

what I bouht was 3/16 hot rolled steel. hope all those that bought from me are still happy with them. I was just the middle man though as I didnt do any work on them. lol
  10. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you really think that you will get more parts made, lemme know ASAP.

i dont want to get some made at 40 (or whatever) a pop (with hardware) then have you show up with $25 pairs. then im left with 5 sets of parts that will never get sold bc you are selling them for half as much.
  11. MTDewX8

MTDewX8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well I can't do the production again since I live 3 hours away and jobless at the moment.

I can try and get a few made on my next visit but will take some string pulling as I will have to get teh steel first then drop them off and wait till they can get them done. its been a while so hopefully he will will still give me the same deal.

I will keep you posted.

how many you talking about? just for you or the next 10 people?
  12. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i was trying to get 6 or 7 people then id do 10. im sure i could get rid of the rest. but if you can get them made at 25 a pop then thats a great price and id default to you.
  13. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    okay guys, i got another quote from another water jet cutter. this is a much better price. bigger operation passing the savings on!!!

im gonna go ahead and get 10 made..

who is in?
  14. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    In:wink:
  15. CalGSer

CalGSer Traveling dude

Oddometer:
    IN for a pair! PM or reply with details. Late to this thread, but just picked up an XChallenge 4 weeks ago.
  16. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey wow I put it on hold bc there was only 3 people who expressed interest...

If I get less than 10 made the price goes up, thats why I was hopefully waiting for more interested parties.

I guess I should go ahead and do it.
  17. wolfster

wolfster wolfster

Oddometer:
    I will take a set .
  18. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is excellent, finally a couple more people piped up.
    Im leaving town for a few days but will get the ball rolling on monday.
  19. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alrighty, order has been placed. Parts should be ready in about a week.
  20. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    Excellent:clap