X-Challenge not starting when warm...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CrazyIvan, Jun 1, 2008.

1. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan Vonkentrekker

Oddometer:
    Gf is doing a rally in Eastern Europe on her X-Challenge, and it seems that her bike won't start when warm...
    Besides that the bike runs fine, doesn't use oil, starts first time in the morning.
    It's only when the bike is at normal operating temperature, it won't start again ! After waiting about 15 minutes, it starts without a problem !

Any ideas ?

Cheers
  2. Hoots Magoon

Hoots Magoon Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer:
    Check the tank vent line
  3. kutch

kutch That fell off where?

Oddometer:
    Hoots got me cured when I asked just about the same question.

I had a stalling at idle issue when warm as well.
    Brought it in for the 600 mile inspection. Sure enough - stall codes were present and cleared.
    Was told that it could be a sensor, but seeing that the codes cleared, that ment that the sensor was not completly defective - so it was left in.

On the way home from the 600 she started going through stalling fits at just about every light. And in one intersection, she died and all most got me ran over...That iced it.

Had her towed back the next day. Stated in the most polite way that I almost got creamed in an intersection due to stalling...Again.

Week later, all of a sudden there are no codes...Nothing wrong. My fault if it continues...Bike given back.

OoooKay.

Seemed to run a little better, but not great.

HOOTS stated the same thing when I asked here.

So upon looking for myself, I found the reason A.) the seat didn't fit well and B.) the reason for stalling.

One of the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the seat was pinching the tanks vent line going to the air box. (it was routed that way from the factory...Zip tied to the TOP of the frame rail!!)

Cut ties, moved below rail, zipped. So far no issues...Rough idle gone, Much more quick to rev.
    Moral of the story...?
    Everyone can have a bad day and miss stuff. I know.
    But after three misses, (original dealer and two shots at another) -and a possible spatter...I was once again shown the hard way that no one cares for your stuff like you...:deal

LEARN YOUR BIKE.
    ASK QUESTIONS.
  4. kres

kres Arrrrrrrrr! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two things:

1) The G650's has the same "twitch" that the F650's had. When you start it up, turn the key, wait for all the lights except the oil light (and maybe neutral is starting there) to go out. Push the starter and keep it down until the oil light goes off. Do not twist the throttle. Especially when cold, the computer sniff's through the various sensors, and tweaks its control over O2 / idle / etc.

2) You may be suffering from bad breather hose / nipple placement. See my rant and correction here.

Good luck!
  5. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan Vonkentrekker

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info.

The fuel breather lines have been checked the first day. Even tried starting the bike with the fuel cap removed just to make sure. It's a euro spec bike, so it doesn't have all the cannister stuff.

Strangely enough the bike runs perfectly, doesn't stall or run rough.
    It just won't start when it's warmed up !

About the starting procedure : She's did about 80.000 km on a 650 Dakar, so she knows about the "no throttle twisting" issue.

Unfortunately she hasn't got the possibility to visit a BMW dealer to read the fault codes. The rally is traveling offroad through Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Romenia, with no time to visit a BMW dealer, so I'm trying to get some extra info to her for the limited time left in the evening...

Cheers
  6. kutch

Oddometer:
    I may have my tubes mis-named...Someone can chime in and name that tube...

My issue was the tube from the top of the tank, going forward to the airbox.
    It was run along the top of the frame rail - zip tied to the left side.

Not anything to do with emissions tubes going down over the side to the charcoal cannister.

In KRES photo you can just make it out, on the left, -not the middle of the photo...

kutch
  7. GB007

GB007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been struggling with the stall at iddle my self since I got the bike. Service Dept. always tells me all is fine and it's me. When I got a foam filter it stopped stalling for a while, but it's now doing it again. I'm going to check the vent lines myself. As far as your issue of stalling when Hot, it has happened to me as well occasionally. Let us know what was the cure..
  8. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan Vonkentrekker

Oddometer:
    Nr. 3 ?

[​IMG]
  9. kutch

Oddometer:
    Yup...# 3.
    Where my finger is pointing was the pinch point.
    The tube was actually ON the frame rather than next to it...!
    White zip tie was what I added.
  10. kutch

Oddometer:
    And if you follow it up and behind the oil dip stick...
    This is were it ties in.
  11. kutch

Oddometer:
    And following KRES story.
    If that was the pinch point, it seems all they'd have to do is move the tube rearward. Looks like allot more room just a few inches back...?
  12. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kutch :thumb Added this thread to the Index.
  13. kutch

Oddometer:
    I finally just realized something under the seat///
  14. tcs

tcs Palmer

Oddometer:
    Maybe they should let Loncin build the whole bike.

tcs
  15. britowner

britowner G650GS

Oddometer:
    My G650GS starts ok, then will stop, and not tick over, you can start it holding the throttle open, but it wont tick over on its own, have to use throttle cable adjust to hold it at tick over, for the rest of the journey, Sometimes if I turn ign off and on again it still stalls, sometimes it now ticks over OK. Looked for pinched tubes etc. all seems OK. any ideas?