X~PWR External Power Case for Hero 3 & Hero 4 Cameras

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Shov3BR, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    X~PWR is here at last!
    Al-weather external power case for Hero 3 & Hero 4 cameras let you record as long as you have memory space.
    We have recorded over 11 hours on a 128Gb SanDisk Ultra at 1080P/60FPS.
    Our patented B-CAPP cable mates with a tower on the case to provide all-weather (NOT waterproof) capability.
    Plug into an external battery pack or an all-weather USB power port on your bike - we would like you to use our TAPP or TAPP Lite of course :evil

The first kit to ship (PN 160-0030-18) comes with the X~PWR case and an 18" B-CAPPed Cable $59.95.

at www.3brpowersports.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Connect to an external battery pack and tuck it into a pocket for a self-contained setup.

[​IMG]

Or choose one of our longer B-CAPP Cables and connect to the bike's USB power (TAPP All-weather USB power port shown)

[​IMG]

Or mount on the bike and connect direct

[​IMG]
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    sending you a PM
  3. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    that's sweet!!
    a complete package with your 12v USB plug to complete the casing...

do you have distributors in Europe?:deal
  4. bikyto

Oddometer:
    which Tapp or Tapp lite powers the GoPro3/4?
    I have one of your tapps on my bike already, do I need to upgrade?
  5. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    No distributor in Europe but would like to set something up if we could find the right person/organization.
    Do you have any thoughts or someone who would be a good fit?
  6. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    TAPP Lite will do the trick. We have done lots of testing on Hero 3, Hero 3+ and Hero 4 Black and they all draw around 600mA when recording.
    We did find that they draw close to 1.0A when charging the battery with the camera off. This makes sense as it allows the battery to charge as quickly as possible when the camera electronics are off.
    That said, it is still within the 1.2A max output of the TAPP Lite so no upgrade necessary.:clap
  7. bikyto

Oddometer:
    I might know someone... but .... need more details

sweet!! thank you!!
  8. CodyECSL

CodyECSL Taco Inspector

Oddometer:
    Greatest country in the world, TX (DFW area)
    Any discounts for inmates?
  9. autonhome

autonhome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have the same things for go pro 2 ?
  10. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will you develop something similar for the Sony Action Cam lineup? I am invested into that, and this is something I have been missing for a while.
  11. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, poor old Hero 2. Mine works great, no need to update to a 3 or 4.
    But a power solution would be the feline's rectum!
  12. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Wow, am I embarrassed. My "subscription" to this thread was broken and I've missed the posts.

Here's replies -

Yes, we provide a 10% discount for inmates. This is the most we can do given that we have a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) agreement with our dealers.
    We use PayPal on our website. Just put "ADVRider" in the "Instructions to Merchant" and we'll fix you up.

No, we don't have a case for Hero 2. We did the original development on Hero 2 but the Hero 3 came out so we had to make the switch.

Same for Sony. We had a look at it but the power port is on the bottom of the camera so there's no way to access it from the outside. Bummer, 'cause it's a really cool camera.

We are at Daytona Bike Week and we're happy to report that X~PWR has been a real hit.

-Shov
  13. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shov, since we have your attention, the sony door can actually be removed by using a screw driver and a few tools. And if the charging door is out, it should be possible to permanently hook it on a power source. I have the previous model of the camera as well, and Sony has moved around the location of the power inlet, so I don't know how feasible it would be to create one. Also, since this involves voiding the warranty, you might not have too many users willing to do it.
  14. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    It's worth a look. Could you post a couple of pics of your Sony cameras.

I ran a Drift for while with the silicone boot that allowed a mic and power cable to be plugged in when in use. It worked great until the weight of the cable whipping in the wind broke the connector off of the camera circuit board:cry
  15. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got my set up today, very high quality equipment, can't wait to get out there and get using it and not have to worry about batteries dying...when i do i'll add some video /photos if you want - thanks Don
  16. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul.
    We will be looking forward to a ride report and pics!
  17. mfaoro

mfaoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tried this to a small external battery...like the ones you buy to charge iPhones?

I assume it will work.

Would rather not mess with a wire to the bike. I have done that before (after drilling a hole in a go pro case and I was always worried it might snap my neck in a get off and was always getting tangled.

By the way, I am having a lot of issues getting your web site to load. Could be on my end...but other sites are loading fine.

Michael
  18. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Yup, we used a huge 16,000 mAh USB external battery at Daytona Bike Week for our demos. It lasted 4 1/2 days running from 9:00 in the morning until 7:00 each night! That was powering our Hero 3 at 1080P 60FPS and with WiFi running.
    The one on the bottom. It's a pig weighing in at 11 oz.

[​IMG]

I tried riding with it tucked in my jacket pocket and it wasn't at all uncomfortable. The only thing I didn't like was having my helmet attached to my jacket. I had to unplug when I stopped for gas.

[​IMG]

We just finished a setup for demo at the Sea Otter Classic bicycle event in Monterey, CA. We bought some cheap 2600 mAh "lipstick" batteries that we strapped to a helmet. It's the one at the top in the pic. It only weighs 2.4 oz.

[​IMG]

It works really nice - it's easy to mount using the vent slots in the helmet. We get a little over 4 hours on our Hero 3+ at 1080P 60FPS with no WiFi. The Hero 3 should get 5 hours or more.

I'm messing around with a way to mount the little battery on my M/C helmet using one of the GoPro sticky camera mounts. It fits pretty nicely just below the "spoiler" on the back of my Shoei. I'll post some pics when I get it worked out.

-Shov
  19. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Hmm.. we run both IE and Chrome and haven't seen any issues. I think our webmaster also has tried Fire Fox but I'll have to confirm.

-Shov
  20. mfaoro

mfaoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using Safari on my Mac.

Thanks for the detailed response. Awesome information and I definately going to indulge in one of these.

You got me thinking and dreaming a little bit. I wear the camera on my hydration pack strap. I could put a small or large battery in the pack like you describe. But I am also wondering...could I put a solar charger on the back of my pack and have it keep the battery charged. Not worry about keeping multiple batteries. Hmmm. Sounds like a fun experiment. Gotta go look at some rugged solar cells...

Michael