XB12X Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by danger_dave, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Hog Rider

Hog Rider The Professor

Oddometer:
  2. tstick14

tstick14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All knowing XB12 owners. I realize this is a picture thread which means most of you are sitting on a Uly so would like some thoughts. There is an '06 28k miles for sale 2 hours away. Years ago I remember looking at these thinking they looked cool. I bought a KTM 950 ADV instead, then a 640 ADV, now I have had no bike for several years. I'm tall at 6'4" 225#, wondering thoughts on this bike for my approximate height (read long legs)? I'll be commuting, joy riding in the twisties and gravel/forest service roads. I don't do technical riding, but definitely gravel roads and logging forestry roads.
  3. Hog Rider

Hog Rider The Professor

Oddometer:
    My concern is your leg room, I am 5'10' with a 32" inseam. I have the high seat on my bike and the leg room was just right. You would have no issues with touching the ground, but you might be tight on the leg room riding

[​IMG]

I added forward pegs after that 1500 mile ride ^

[​IMG]

Big difference in comfort, made the BunBurner Golds easier to do .......
  4. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

DaveJ_U.P.Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'4" and touch perfectly flat footed when stopped. I have 80/20 Shinko tires on it right now, great for the street, does well on gravel and dirt roads. Does not do sand or mud well, stick to more of a dual sport or dirt bike for that. As a commuter it's a great bike, it gets a little heated up on very hot days but mine does not have an add on comfort kit. I've been riding my XB12X more than my other bikes lately and it is truly a fun bike to be on.
  5. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    What size rear tire are you running? I cannot find the Shinko 705 in a 180/55-R17.
  6. tstick14

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input, my biggest thing is that it will take care of me on FS roads and such. I'm not a seasoned off-road rider so when I ride off the pavement it's pretty conservative.
    Hog Rider likes this.
  7. tstick14

Oddometer:
    I've read a number of places tall riders feeling good on this bike. I did see some vendors making/selling lowered footpegs too, and the seat an always be modded with extra cushion.
    Hog Rider likes this.
  8. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are two seat heights available. Might want to check if the seller knows which one they have.
    I love mine, but it's not a KTM950 in the dirt. It's not even really comparable to my other current ride, an R1150GS.
    I know riders take them to some remote places and rough roads, as shown in this thread, but they are not (IMHO) really the best machine for the job.
    Bang for the buck, smiling the whole time, on rough pavement though.
    Hog Rider likes this.
  9. tstick14

Oddometer:
    He said he has the original seat (2006) and bought a Corbin low. If anything I would sell the Corbin low and take the seat in to upholstery shop and have is raised if needed.
  10. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

Oddometer:
    Had to go with a 170/60R 17 for the rear, worked out good.
    Paebr332 likes this.
  11. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave!
  12. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

Oddometer:
    Went for a 200 + mile road ride with some other V-Twins, I felt the need to take the XB12X rather than my FLHTC. Only Buell in the pack... Had some sun, clouds, rain, hail, and then more sun. Regardless it was an adventure and still a fun ride !! 20190724_125317-1.jpg 20190724_125303.jpg
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  13. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

Oddometer:
    I use an Air Hawk seat cushion for longer rides, very comfy and puts you up an inch or two higher in the saddle.
    DADODIRT likes this.
  14. tstick14

Oddometer:
  15. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

Oddometer:
    He is right in the ball park with his price, make a lower offer after you see and ride it, all he can say is no. Most folks will negotiate a little...
    Hog Rider likes this.
  16. not1044

not1044 ...or maybe I am... Supporter

Oddometer:
    No rain for a few weeks. Dusty ride today. I'll take it over snow thank you very much.

20190804_ride_0001.jpg
    TheBuelligan and JimRidesThis like this.
  17. lowriderglen

lowriderglen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone upgraded their ULY headlight to LED? Source?
  18. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in a confirmed LED headlight as well. The more light the better but I'm mainly thinking of taking some electrical load off the charging system for a possible increase in reliability and free up some extra wattage for heated gear this winter. A bit off topic, but I bit the bullet and put a Shorai lithium battery in a few days ago...Never had an issue getting her started but now it's like turbine start...really confidence inspiring. We'll see how long it lasts. This all started as I had a fork seal leakin and when I was ordering the seals I also ordered a fancy seal driver(no more pipe for me), and I think I got carried away ordering and got the lithium battery. Low and behold, the battery and driver arrive but I must have accedently deleted the seals(as lots of online vendors list the incorrect seal size for the 2009).
  19. Boondocker1

Boondocker1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had success with killing one more rascally gremlin running around in my 06 Ulysses. Been having weird electrical issues for a while... I've replaced a number of components, including two different batteries. So I decided to start at the bottom and work my way up by reading the factory manual and following basic trouble shooting procedures.

The manual recommended a continuity and AC voltage check on the stator. The stator failed on all accounts. After a little fear and trepidation, I took the plunge and tackled replacing it with a new one from St. Paul Harley Davidson (a factory Ulysses stator). The process wasn't bad, between the excellent manual and a little common sense, even I could figure it out.

I just chipped away a little every night and payed close attention to the manual. I'm not going to lie though, there were a lot of 2 steps forward 1 step back scenarios. But the only thing that really threw me off for a sec was the torque setting for the bolts holding the stator in place. I read 35 inch pounds as foot pounds and got a little confused. I figured it out before I snapped any bolts off though ha-ha.

Took me about 3 nights and part of Saturday and I learned a lot about the bike. Fired it up last night and it was pushing 14 volts at the battery WOO-HOO!

upload_2019-8-14_8-33-59.png

Burnt stator:

upload_2019-8-14_8-39-2.png

Clyde Mays helped me out a bit too... ;)

upload_2019-8-14_8-44-49.png
  20. Boondocker1

Boondocker1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ... and here's a pic of the bike after dusting it off a bit.

upload_2019-8-14_9-25-54.png