1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

XB12X Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by danger_dave, Feb 19, 2006.

1. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    It’s a 08X with the XP lights when the dealers were selling the XP kits separately. I’m in Plano if you want to come look at it.
  2. Spigatelli

Spigatelli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'll hit you up and take a ride up there one weekend. We can grab a beer and talk about bikes.
    ERD likes this.
  3. RamMan4x4

RamMan4x4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run a small side business making motorcycle parts and I wanted an aux light mount for my Ulysses. Details are in my vendor thread on ADVrider (linked below)...but since this is a picture thread, I copied it here as well. This is a 3D printed prototype, but the production part is 3/16in thick stainless steel. It fits both the 12X and XT models and the design matches the contour of the lower triple tree.

There was enough interest in a facebook group to make a batch and I made a few extras so I'm sharing the link here in case anyone is interested. Parts should arrive this week, so the kits should ship out next week.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/unpaved-engineering-dual-sport-parts.1462458/page-2#post-41713324

3DPrint_Prototype.jpg
  4. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. What lights are you mounting?
  5. RamMan4x4

Oddometer:
    I've been running a 2in pod light from superbrightleds on my DR650 for years (fender picture below) and it's held up really well. Though it might be a bit small for the Uly. I like the look of the light in the no-fender picture below, but it's a cheapo Amazon special with a cast aluminum mount that I highly doubt would hold up to the Uly vibration. I may go somewhere in between...larger light of better quality. I'd love to go with a made in USA light like the Cyclops brand, but I'm not looking to spend that much right now.

BTW...the production parts are in and pictured below. I've decided to simplify the sale and call it $50 shipped in the conti-US. If anyone is interested, they can ben purchased via the link below.

https://unpavedengineering.com/shop/motorcycles/mounts/buell-xb-light-bar/

ALM_Fender_wLight_RS.jpg

ALM_NoFender_wLight_RS.jpg
    DADODIRT likes this.
  6. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    Out for a Saturday ride at 42F/6C ride.

IMG_0546.jpg
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  7. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. I'd like to see a closeup of the part of the skid plate that protects the oil filter. I've not installed my kit yet and there seems to be a significant gap between the skidplate>filter protection>hole in muffler where the bolt goes....like I need to use a stack of washers.
  8. RamMan4x4

Oddometer:
    It should bolt exactly like you have it listed...bolt > skid plate > filter guard > muffler nut. It's sheetmetal so it will put tight unless you are talking about 1/2in or more gap. Here's mine:

20210207_151152.jpg
  9. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for taking the time for that close up; that's exactly what I needed to see. It seems like the skid plate is at least 1" too wide as I have about 1/2" gap on each side...weird. I've only dry fit the skid plate to the muffler in the house but am taking it out to the moto this week. Maybe there's some element that I've not accounted for that will fix that gap...dunno what that could be though.

[​IMG]

Close up of above:

[​IMG]

Other side (pic POV from rear of muffler facing forward).

[​IMG]
  10. RamMan4x4

Oddometer:
    I'm sure my skid plate was perfectly lined up either, but I don't remember having to use a longer bolt to bring it in.

Despite what people think about aluminum, it's pretty stout at this thickness...but you could probably bend it further along it's existing bend lines if you clamp it with some 2x4s first. Or you could just tighten up the bolt and let it pull itself in...though a lot of that flex will be elastic so it will spring back whenever you loosen it.
  11. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    I don’t recall the exact details of the installation, but I usually just bolt things up. I’m also keen on using a big hammer to put things together if need be. It’s a aluminum bash plate and the powder coating is pretty thick so it’s not a big deal if you force the plate in and bolt it on the muffler.

I tried to order a raw aluminum plate but Dean would have none of that. I would have preferred that or a flat black powder coating to match my engine guard.

The oil filter guard is for show as the engine guard pretty much prevents anything from hitting the oil filter. I asked Dean to make a front cover on the front of the skid plate to close the open gap between the skid plate and the muffler. That gap seem to collect grass and mud.
  12. RamMan4x4

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Based on Dean's comments, this plate is a rough copy of the touratech skid plate which had an additional part in the front...though that part was prone to cracking based on the pictures I have seen. It seems like a missed opportunity not to use the two front muffler mounting bolts and also add some material to cover the shovel like scoop. I may end up modeling and cutting something to fill that gap for my bike if Dean isn't working on it.
  13. Spigatelli

Spigatelli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tired of the black, she needed a change. IMG_20210208_155552_193.jpg
    dtaylor, JimRidesThis and ERD like this.
  14. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    It’s actually funny. I usually don’t drop bikes (or at least admit to dropping bikes I was riding the bike onto the dolly (the long red rail thing under the bike) that allows me to the bike around the garage with the bike in it. The rear tire missed the dolly and rode up on the side rail of the dolly which made the rear end 4” higher. Without realizing my mistake, I put my foot down and missed the ground by 4”. I knew to just let the bike go instead of trying to save it and causing more injury to myself and the bike.

The bike landed on the engine guard and saddlebag guard (as designed) and caused zero damage. The bike flipped over with the wheels still on the dolly, effectively making the angle more than 90 degrees. I had to get my son to help me lift the bike so I don’t hurt myself :-)
    IMG_0574.jpg
    Spigatelli and RamMan4x4 like this.
  15. Spigatelli

Spigatelli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are the T-Rex crash bars, right? I like those. I don't think they make them anymore.
  16. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    The engine guard fits all XBs and the luggage guard was a limited production item. Call their store number to see if they still have them in stock.
  17. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Forgive my ignorance, who makes the skid plate?
  18. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might be Black Dog Cycle Works.
  19. RamMan4x4

Oddometer:
    JimRidesThis likes this.
  20. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    The skid plate was originally made by Touratech and discontinued long ago. Dean made a couple runs of the skid plates and I have one of his ski plate.