XB12X Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by danger_dave, Feb 19, 2006.

1. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tire wear question...
    Metzler Tourance Next with 6500 miles. The front appears to have more wear than the rear. Specifically the left side of the front tire. More wear on the left side.
    Maybe it's just the miles, but the rear looks like it's got another 1000 in it.
    Any idea what would cause that?

20210627_171440.jpg
  2. hardbern

hardbern Ulygised while still alive Supporter

Oddometer:
    It means you either are pushing the bike much harder through left-handers, or trail-braking a lot harder through them. I am going to guess the former: Although for myself I suddenly started freaking out in left-handers when I hit 45years old and would brake with the front through the turn and it manifested itself the same way - scrubbing it to a nice flat cone on that side. It took a summer of a couple trips down the Blue Ridge Parkway to relearn what has so suddenly left me.
  3. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    I was thinking along those lines, but (1) I've never noticed it on other bikes or other tires, and (2) most of my riding is in the twisties along US550 between Durango and Ouray. I don't have a preference on turns. Like it both ways.
    Would a bad bearing cause it? I replaced them at the same time as the tires, so they only have 6500 or so on them.
  4. hardbern

Oddometer:
    I would think a bad bearing would be noticed in other ways. It is easy enough to check for though, then there would be no need for conjecture. If it turns out to be a bad bearing, by all means please let us know!

I just remembered a third cause for asymmetrical flatwear, which has happened to me twice crossing the planes of east from the Rockies through Nebraska and Texas on two road trips where I had no choice but the interstates, and the cross winds were so strong and constant over hundreds of interstate miles that I was keeled over the entire day and by the time I got to Arkansas my front tires were bald on the side I was leaning.

I have had friends that suffered the the same wear on the left side, and said they didn't think they were doing anything different on left handers but riding behind them it was easy enough to confirm that they were not braking before left curves and boogying on through them where as they would brake before right curves and glide through, powering out as they were straightening up.
    Both times I have ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway my riding buddy and I both had nice V profiles at the end, because all the corners are nice sweepers that you rarely have to brake for, for 400 miles.

So hopefully it isn't a bearing thing.
  5. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We ride on the right side of the road, our roads are crowned to drain water to the sides. In a left turn the lean angle the tire sees is greater due to the crown. The wear pattern is normal for us. English, Aussie, etc. riders will probably find the opposite with greater wear occurring on the right side of the tire since they ride on the left side of the road.
    Spigatelli likes this.
  6. Jim_SB

Jim_SB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m inclined to agree with this observation.

Additionally by driving on the right side of the road a rider’s visibility is much greater (generally) through a left handed turn than it is through a right hander. As such it is easy to ride a bit faster in a left turn.

I’ve ground the peg feelers on both sides in corners; I don’t have a left/right preference per se. But being able to see through a corner makes a big difference.
    Spigatelli likes this.
  7. Klinc207

Klinc207 To PERU!

Oddometer:
    Up here in Maine we don’t have great condition roads and lots of crown. More often then not the left side of my front we wear before the right.
    Spigatelli likes this.
  8. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    I should have started a thread for this.
    Yes, crowned roads some places. Most mountain roads are cross sloped (down towards the inside). Most riding is on mountain roads.
    I'll have to really think about differences between left and right when doing it. I'll have someone follow me and see if they notice anything.
    Still odd....100,000 plus miles, different bikes, basically the same roads and I've never noticed this on other tires.
  9. Gary856

Gary856 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always noticed of my tires wear faster on the left side, both front and rear, on multiple bikes. Many assume it's caused by road crown but even a severely crowned road doesn't move the contact patch that much from the center. The real reason is each left turn has a significantly longer radius and distance than each right turn. Over the lifetime of a tire it'd travel a lot farther on its left side than the right so it's normal for it to wear out the left side faster.
    hardbern likes this.
  10. DADODIRT

Oddometer:
    That makes some sense. Still wondering why I never noticed it before.
  11. hardbern

Oddometer:
    I think Gary makes ALL the sense. This would be a severe crown, and you can see from Dadodirt's photo, he has fairly distinct bands, on both sides, at an angle that supports his own assertion that he swings both ways with equal vigor, and the right side really is not that far behind wear wise. Also, look how much further down the dirt is on the left - the clean area is a third that of the right side :
    upload_2021-7-10_9-12-53.png
  12. hardbern

Oddometer:
    Dadodirt, this part of your picture shows it better. You have a two angle grind job on the right side, and a three angle grind job on the left. Do the people in your life describe you as multi-faceted?
    upload_2021-7-10_9-28-13.png
    DADODIRT likes this.
  13. Gary856

Gary856 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Along Hwy 1 north of Santa Cruz, CA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Near Pescadero, CA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Uly has been gone for almost 10 years now, but somewhere in the dark corners of my memory, I vaguely remember this being discussed on the Badweb, I don’t know how active that site is nowadays but you might find something there, then again I could be totally wrong.
  15. Spigatelli

Spigatelli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked up a Moto-mule but it didn't fit the Ulysses. I had to modify the front mount, but now it's ready to roll. Just need to paint the welded bits and attach a storage container. PXL_20210814_191652655.jpg
    EdChap13, Mexi-can't and Hughlysses like this.
  16. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice. Love to see closeup picture of your mods to mount on the Uly!
  17. Spigatelli

Spigatelli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was all about making wider. Sorry, pictures are in reverse order.
    PXL_20210814_172058601.jpg PXL_20210814_165916731.jpg PXL_20210814_145044526.jpg
  18. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Interesting.

How does it pivot in the horizontal plane?

:scratch
  19. Spigatelli

Spigatelli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the neck right behind the rear wheel.
    Here's one in action.
  20. gkostolny

gkostolny bay area adventurer

Oddometer:
    466D8C7C-5632-4E40-B8F1-1BD3584A6B0F.jpeg Well, after a few years of shifting and starting problems, and being parked PNO, I finally replaced the clutch (which no one suggested as the source of the issues) & my Uly is back on the road and running great. If you can believe it, I think my wife may be even more excited than me to have it back - she never really had any interest in riding along on my XSR700.