XB12X Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by danger_dave, Feb 19, 2006.

1. EdChap13

EdChap13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been working on the 34,000 mile Uly since I bought it and I believe I have finally fixed that last broken thing.

So far:
    Intake seals
    Fuel pump, filter, pressure regulator, injectors
    Battery
    Spark plugs
    Proper Race tune for the race muffler
    KN filter (the old paper one was infested by mice)
    O2 sensor
    Adjust rear brake to actually work

And I found the front caliper was completely seized except one of the six pistons. lol
    Here is a pic of the caliper after pressing the lever. I had to turn up my compressor to 150 psi to get the last two pistons out.

Rebuilt it last night and WOW what a difference! I could easily do stoppies on command now.

Attached Files:

gkostolny, DADODIRT and Spigatelli like this.
  2. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    From today’s ride through Michaux State Forest in Pennsylvania.

At the Buzzard's Rock overlook.
    50793E60-85AE-4B41-AFD8-7AFFA4913046.jpeg

Wishing the gate was open like it was two days ago for the Michaux Dual Sport.
    648D7B92-D0D9-47F3-AA76-CD72AA58597C.jpeg
    Ratchdaddy, Chethro, Hefty14 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Rolled the '09 Uly onto the work stand yesterday. It's been parked since the fall of '16. Just ordered a new Yuasa. Wish me luck. :brow

[​IMG]
    Chethro, HydroDog, gkostolny and 8 others like this.
  4. EdChap13

Oddometer:
    Ugh this poor bike still has things to fix.
    The starter gasket was leaking badly and pulling that out is an awful job. got the new gasket on there, though.

Then I found the primary cover was missing a bolt. And the inspection cover bolt was completely stripped. Got a helicoil on the way for that.

ALSO THE FRICKEN SWING ARM IS LEAKING!
    A previous owner smeared a ton of sealant all over in hope of fixing it, but it’s dripping onto my garage floor now. Not sure how I am going to tackle that repair.
    4F002B0B-77FA-4A26-B86C-50AA6C8A4E73.jpeg E28A357D-713C-40E4-B1AD-AA72FF651332.jpeg
  5. HydroDog

HydroDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F3A419B8-D7BF-4758-B44E-3AF9E012FBD4.jpeg 3E8131F5-A116-467D-95EE-F323C9042A3F.jpeg Well after two weeks of replacing valve cover gaskets, breather reroute, broken clutch cover, Mosfet regulator and replaced the 13 year old belt I finely got to put 600 miles on the beast this week.
  6. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:
    It's easier if you don't get behind.
    Currently, I need both fork seals. Again. And the RH turn signal quit. No it's not the bulb, relay, behind the shroud wiring, bad fixture or the other bulb. One thing I know for sure-OK two things; I am doing something incorrectly to need so many fork seals and there has to be a cause for the signal to be kaput.
    It's probably due for an oil change too. It will start instantly and go any damn place I care to go and back again as is.
  7. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^Sounds like mine. Right fork seal is caput and leaking on the brake caliper. I am sure that was due to not cleaning it regularly.
    Needs a rear tire, oil and transmission fluid, brake pads......
    I'm in the beginning stages of planning a ride/park/fly/ride/park/fly that will last a couple of years and have a bike sitting for most of the year. I really hope this bike is up to it.
    Good reason to have more than one (ok, more than three) bikes.
    panhead_dan likes this.
  8. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    DADODIRT likes this.
  9. panhead_dan

Oddometer:
    I should go out to the garage and look to make sure but I seem to recall that the caps house at least one adjuster. Rebound damping or something. Might be two adjusters there already. I don't think the bleeder is going in the center of the cap.
  10. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    STR premium bleeders located offset of center on oem Showa usd forks on my DRZ400SM and oem offset on WP usd forks on my 08 300XC.

Amazing the amount of pressure there is to bleed off frequently, even while just sitting with outside temperature swings etc...

My long in storage, low mileage 2010 XB12X belched fork oil after not being used for years, since it's purchase in 2012. It'll have STR bleeders custom fitted when I get around to rebuilding the forks... :gerg
  11. dtaylor

dtaylor Eaten by a grue.

Oddometer:
    How did that go, Lawrence? It thought for a brief moment that your front front muffler strap had popped, but then realised it was just the golf putter.

I sold my '08 Uly this spring. I bought a Stelvio last spring -- between limited space and S. Ontario insurance premiums, something had to go. The Uly with just PLPD was costing 1/3 more than the Guzzi with full coverage!
  12. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    So, so glad to be free from Ontario's rapacious auto insurance extortion racket. I currently have four Buells and an old BMW registered and insured with ICBC on a BC muti-vehicle collector plate for about 1/3 the cost of pl/pd on a single Buell in Ontario... five years ago!

Ran into a starter issue on the Uly then got sidetracked trying to sort out the suspension on the '97 S3T and swapping out the top end on the'96 S2T.

Might get back to it sometime this winter.

:gerg
    dtaylor and Hughlysses like this.
  13. EdChap13

Oddometer:
    Finally put this turd back together and rode it 35 miles to work.

New Starter gasket
    primary cover helicoiled
    All new gaskets and o rings for primary cover area

Still leaking from the swingarm but I’ll tackle that this winter. Only leave a palm sized oil spot on the floor after a few days.

760E508F-8F58-459E-8701-65E7D059C4DC.jpeg
    Mexi-can't, Lornce and hdxbones like this.
  14. EdChap13

Oddometer:
    General quetion for everyone.

I'm not satisfied with my front brake travel.
    Even after rebuilding the front caliper and flushing everything out, the lever on the longest setting will pull back half of the travel before it starts grabbing hard.
    Full braking force the lever is just about to touch my fingers.

Does your brake lever have that much travel? My partner's FJ-09 brake lever feels MILES more sensitive than this and I'm very jealous. lol

I did order a master cylinder rebuild kit just because.
  15. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:

my '08 uly has tremendous and predictable power thru the first 1/3 of lever travel. i'm not sure it's even possible to get the lever more than 50% of the way to the bar. brake system flushed each year.

ymmv.
    EdChap13 likes this.
  16. JimRidesThis

JimRidesThis Local celebrity

Oddometer:
    Mines’s the same as yours @EdChap13. I’m thinking I need to strip the caliper and master cylinder, give everything a clean up, replace a few seals, etc.
    EdChap13 likes this.
  17. EdChap13

Oddometer:
  18. panhead_dan

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you still have air in the system.
  19. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    A trick for getting the last of the air out of the system (once it’s been bled to the best of your ability) is to pull in and secure the brake lever with a bungee cord or similar and leave it that way overnight or longer. The idea is the increased pressure will compress any air bubbles to a tiny size and allow them to float upward to the master cylinder. When you release the lever, the air bubbles come out in the reservoir.
    996DL and panhead_dan like this.
  20. Spigatelli

Spigatelli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're ever in a bind with a torn bead on the rear tire, you can find a Harley dealer and they will have a tire that fits. the new Harley Branded Michelin Scorcher.
    PXL_20210926_132410502.jpg

It will, however, cost you an arm and a leg. $299 for the tire and an hour of labor. OUCH.
    But it did save my trip. This was on day 1 of a 9 day trip through New Mexico.

I was also told that my wheel bearings were done. I had checked them a few days earlier, because I had a new valve stem installed (probably how the bead was torn) and I popped the side off and added grease to both bearings. The tech at the Harley shop said he wasn't sure it would make it another 2k miles.

I sourced USA made bearings at Advanced Auto, of all places. They were expensive and I had to buy a blind bearing puller.
    PXL_20210926_223548717.jpg

They seemed fine when I pulled them out so I have no idea why he thought they were bad. He said they were grinding when he balanced the tire. , but I guess peace of mind was worth it.

Side note: I may be the first person to have the Harley branded Scorcher on something other than a Harley.
    Hughlysses and EdChap13 like this.