XC Rider Needs HELP in Denio Junction, NV

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by HBN, Sep 9, 2009.

1. HBN

HBN lostwithmike.com

Oddometer:
    Please forward this to anyone you may know in that area who could get in contact with Denis via PM or Email. He needs help getting his KLR to Winnemucca. PM XC RIDER
    Here are some links to his RR and Spot

My TAT RR...currently in production!:D
    Where is XC!? Link to my SPOT TRACKER page. Password= tattrip

[​IMG]
  2. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    I am still at the Sheldon Wildlife Refuge, and just found a U-haul truck in Lakeview, OR if I can get a ride there if that would be easier for anyone willing to help.

Thank you!
  3. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    I found a ride! A guy working at a local mine will be taking me tomorrow morning around 8:00am to Lakeview, OR where I will get a U-haul truck. I will then return to the Sheldon Wildlife Refuge and pick up my bike and go to Winnemucca to the Sonoma Cycles shop and have them take a look at it; that is unless anyone has any better suggestions. I am all ears!:ear
  4. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Please consider moving or duplicating this thread into the NW regional.

Dennis, you may want to add links in your sig to all relevant help threads, or start your own in the NW regional with updates as to your plan and progress.

I'm sure there are helpful souls around willing to pitch in, the harder part is coordinating the logistics.

Good luck. :thumb Go ADV collective! :clap
  5. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Best of luck,sucks when things break in the middle of no where.
  6. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm now in Winnemucca, with the bike, at Sonoma Cycles. They'll be taking a look at her later this afternoon, and I should then know what I'm dealing with.
  7. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    So here's the news: 1) clutch is fried, 2) lots of grit and shit, not to mention a loose washer, inside the engine which according to the shop more than likely would mean that it needs to be bored out and replace the piston, and 3) the piece de resistance bent forks in the tranny! So their best case scenario price estimate was a minimum of $1500 to $2000!!! Of course, this is as long as they don't discover anything else as they go through it.

Well needless to say, I kindly thanked them for their time, and got myself a Uhaul truck, the smallest they had in town was a 17' box truck! :huh I drove down to Fernley, NV where Shawna's sister lives and spent the night here last night. Today I'll continue on down to Carmel Valley and go to my brother's house. My plan then is to find a shop with a known reputation and go for a second opinion. While the shop in Winnemucca may be spot on in their evaluation, I do not know them from Adam or Eve, and it won't cost that much just to have someone else look at the bike. I will then make the decision to either fix the bike or scrap it for parts. Basically, I willing to spend up to $1000/$1500 to fix the bike; if it would amount to more than that then as far as I'm concerned, the bike is not worth fixing.

So, does anyone know of a good and reputable bike shop in the Carmel Valley area???:ear
  8. chip

chip Follow Me

Oddometer:
    Really sorry to hear about the bike. Good luck.
  9. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    At least you and your bike are out of the desert safely.
    This is just another part of the adventure. Hope things work out OK
  10. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know you don't feel like talking bike about now, but one of the good things is, the internet is your friend with lots of KLR specific sites. Should be able to find a used engine for a lot less than the repair if the diagnosis is correct.
  11. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I did pretty much the same to my engine on a long mexico trip where I didn't clean the air filter soon enough and sucked a bunch of dirt. With me doing all the work of disassembly/most assembly, it cost me just over $700 in 2005. If this turns out to be longer term repair, I can sell you the first overbore piston that Kawasaki sells. On a later trip, the tranny seized and I parted out my bike. Still have some parts left though that's about all of the engine I have.