1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

XCA WP Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by sjgrib, Jan 10, 2018.

1. sjgrib

sjgrib n00b

Oddometer:
    this is my first time on the site but I'm racking my brain trying to figure out the best (within budget) suspension upgrade. I have a 2016 Tiger 800 XCA. I'm 205 lbs (not counting gear and when I'm 2 up) so I'm already over the weight the bike was sprung for. I ride as much dirt as possible and camp off her as well. I am looking at the Touratech Explore HP to replace the rear but with the WP already in place, would it be as good to simply replace the spring? What would be the most bang for my buck? I don't really know how good the WP rear shock is and wouldn't want to replace it if all I need is a spring.

Thanks for the advice in advance!
  2. BigMan73

BigMan73 Binary Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I'd try re-springing it for your weight then decide if it works for you before letting anyone goof it up.
    clawdog60 likes this.
  4. okckeith

okckeith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I highly recommend Mikes Dirt Bike Suspension. He rides a 2015 800 XCX. He did my 2015 800 XCX suspension front and rear. I could not be happier!
    Raconnol likes this.
  5. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got customs springs, front and back from Mike for my 2015 XCX and could not be happier.

The silly shipping costs, from Canada, prevented me from also getting make to do the revalve work. However, I did find a local (here in Vancouver Island) guy who does tuning of competitive dirty and sports bikes for a living and I am happy with this is work. Having the WP correctly tuned and revalved for the change in spring rate is key to getting the most of the upgrade.

My bike does sit much taller now, empty and loaded. I went from flat-footed to being on my toes when empty. This might be a problem for some. However, I seriously doubt @BigMan73 would have any issue at all. :)

I have also heard excellent reviews from Konflict as well.

BTW the key to getting a proper setup and having a very real and honest description of the roads you ride on and how you ride. I buddy of mine just happened to have a video that I shared with both Mike and my local suspension guy. Both reported that they got a ton of solid information about me, my bike and how I ride from this short little video. I was rather surprised as I thought it was just a little fun ride without and speed or real drama. However, I suggest, if possible, get someone to video you on your bike with what it rode like, empty and loaded (assuming you will be adding luggage) or riding two up. As they say, a picture is worth one thousand words, and video contains hundreds of pictures.

okckeith likes this.
  6. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:
    +1... Yours is a spring weight problem not a shock absorber problem...
  7. sjgrib

sjgrib n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for info. I'm definitely moving forward on the springs and would love some more ground clearance.

8. sjgrib

sjgrib n00b

Oddometer:
    What type of customs springs did you get from Mike's? I would like the additional height and clearance for riding off-road.

9. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new shock spring is 12.8 kg/mm.
    The front springs are 38.2 X 380.80, however, this is for me and my riding style. Mike can tell you the correct spring rates for you and your bike.
  10. okckeith

okckeith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't remember my spring weights. I would have to look at my paper work.
    I live about 10 minutes away from Mike. I rode my bike over to his shop and we talked about what I was looking for. I think he nailed it.
    Send Mike an email about what you are looking for. He is real good to work with.
  11. sjgrib

sjgrib n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds great thanks. I'm talking to Mike now about new springs and a revalve.
  12. Mconnell

Mconnell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gents, sorry that I've been away from the website for awhile and haven't been in the loop. Been real busy with dirt bike suspension jobs this winter. I'm still doing plenty of adventure bike suspension, with Tigers and 1190R KTM being the most prevalent. Also doing plenty of Africa Twins. Thanks for the kind words, and let me know if I can help with your bike. FYI - my current adventure bike is a 2015 Tiger 800 XCX. Doing some local rides as the weather permits and getting ready for the Utah BDR in June.
    Old93, ZiaThunder, jml141 and 2 others like this.
  13. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike in your opinion, at what weight would a Tiger 800 XCx rider benefit from re-springing and a re-valve job? In my case I weigh 80 Kg plus riding gear ( say 10 kg.) and I find the standard suspension copes well enough on rough roads.
  14. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I'm also seriously considering upgrading the WP suspension on my XCA. I find that it blows through its stroke far too easily. Following a friend on a 950 it was ludicrous how many times I bottomed the bike out coming over small gravel hills. I'd like to be able to land without bottoming after getting approx 1' of "air" coming off jumps.

Is that asking too much of the bike? Am I being unreasonable? Or would this be possible for a Tiger? Any recommendations on where to turn first for this type of work? I'm also not afraid to do it myself if I knew what parts to buy.

I was really disappointed bottoming out so easily even with the compression cranked all the way up. I only weigh about 170lbs and I was not carrying much gear with me at all.
  15. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is something wrong with your bike CDN Rick. I weigh about the same as you and mine isn't bottoming out at all, unless I really smack into something at speed.

There ought to be a WP suspension service (usually attached to a KTM dealer) somewhere in Canada that can help you out.
  16. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Its mainly blowing through when I land jumps around 75-80mph offroad. Its not a high mileage bike either. It was doing that with not even 5000 miles on it. I'm pretty familiar with suspension. Not an expert. But familiar enough. I think this is normal. I just can't accept it like this.
  17. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    80mph on dirt tracks!! OK now I am with you. You need stiffer springs and a revalve or maybe a KTM 1090, but eventhat bike might need suspension work for that sort of speed on really rough tracks.

My Tiger coped OK on roughish gravel roads at 130kph/ 80 mph but it felt at its limit after an hour or so. I could feel the damping going once it was really hot.
  18. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Ok glad it isn't just me...

I test rode Chris Birch's 1090 offroad last year and was really impressed with it. But I was also in the middle of the worst motorcycle experience of my life... Lets just say if you gave me another KTM 690 I'd give it back. My confidence in KTM is currently gone after owning that sorry excuse of a motorcycle.

I've talked with a few suspension tuners in the last couple days including Mike who was mentioned earlier in the thread. He agreed that the valving on the Tiger WP suspension is far too soft to be ridden at speeds offroad and is only suitable for light gravel road duty at worst. This is no fault of Triumph IMO. Its impossible to build suspension that feels plush and comfortable on road and capable of damping high speed compression withing a reasonable budget that would allow them to sell bikes. Even the KTM's big bike suspension won't handle high speed compression well. Mike specifically stated that the problem isn't the springs near as much as it is the valving in most adventure bikes.

I'm just glad to find out that it isn't just me. And that there are guys confident they are able to fix this problem to my satisfaction. Looking forward to getting this work done.

I'm in love with this Tiger. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!!!
    Night Falcon and Mongo7 like this.
  19. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still have trouble trusting KTM after my 1987 and 1989 enduro bikes. I took to carrying spare ignitions and my walking shoes when I owned them.
  20. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3

KTM put the local towing company on my speed dial!!