1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

XCA WP Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by sjgrib, Jan 10, 2018.

1. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Funny that you ask. I just got a call from Lang’s Offroad in Dorchester Ontario saying my suspenders are done. They had to order springs since it wasn’t a stock item for them. Racetech has apparently never been inside the Tiger WP forks before. So some figuring had to be done once they opened it up.

Give them a call tomorrow. I’m sure they’ll be able to help you out. Absolutely class act bunch of guys. Small shop that cares about riders.
    Tell them “GasGas Rick” sent you. And tell Rob he owes me a burger at Beagle Bash if you send your stuff to him.
  2. sms124

sms124 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the information. They are relatively close to me and will give them a call. What springs and changes did you perform?
  3. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I'm honestly not sure.... I gave them my forks and rear shock. Told them what I do with the bike. And said "Fix this crap".
    They've done other suspension work for me and for friends of mine. They know how I use my bikes. I trust them implicitly. I don't know what they've done yet to mine. But they'll ask you a bunch of questions about how you use the bike, how much you weigh, and what you are hoping to accomplish.

I'll be seeing Rob this weekend at DSP for our trials season opener.
    If you call them tomorrow do like I said in the last post and tell them GasGas Rick sent you. And don't forget about my Burger!!

4. sms124

sms124 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you had a chance to run the bike with the new suspension upgrades? I dropped in on Lang's and ordered 0.64kg/mm front springs similar to yours to test out so interested how they are working out for you
  5. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:

I haven’t had a chance to get out riding on It yet. I forgot that I hadn’t updated my licence registration sticker. So i’ll go do that Saturday morning and get a ride in the first day it isn’t raining. Hopefully this weekend or early next week.

I will say that pushing it around the garage showed good signs. The bike used to drop 1” in its travel when you lifted it verticle off the side stand. Now it barely settles at all. Should be much stiffer.

I’ll be sure to post as soon as I know.
  6. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it correct that the WP fork tube cartridge caps are not under pressure when removing the cap when the front wheel is off the ground? Thx
  7. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I would assume that is correct. If there is pressure it should be very little. But I don’t know for sure.

In unrelated news I just injured my throttle hand. We’ll see how soon I can get out riding.
  8. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Well.. Injuries be damned I rode the bike anyways... The pain still couldn't keep a smile off my face.

Mostly straight flat roads so I can't give the best opinion yet. But I'll be putting at least another 10K km on the bike this year so I'll have a better opinion by fall.

For now I'll say this. The ride is definitely stiffer. The boy's at Lang's swapped in .65 springs to the front and changed some valving. Rear got a 14.5 and valving as well. This produced a very noticeable difference. I believe that suspension is somewhat subjective. But I like this a lot better already. The ride is much firmer, and feels more consistent in cornering.

Unfortunately the bumps were hurting my hand quite a bit so I couldn't ride for long. Give me few more weeks and I'll be able to post a better review.

9. sms124

sms124 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about an injured hand. Best to take care with it so you don't suffer in the future. Good to hear that the changes are working and feel better with the stiffer springs. I need to check on the replacement front springs, but Rob said that it may take a while.
  10. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Well my hand has been good to ride for a few weeks now, but then the enduro racing season and the trials season had started and I'm going 110% trying to keep up with commitments.

I have about 3000km's on my Tiger so far this year, but just finally got a chance to do some serious offroading last night.

In a word, this suspension setup is AMAZING! It is soooo much better than the stock WP stuff. I could actually get some decent air on the bike and not blow through the compression stroke. If anything could be changed I'd ask for the first half of the stroke to be slightly plusher, I would like a slightly more progressive feel, but the bottom half feels brilliant! High speed gravel is very planted on the rear, braking dips are drastically reduced, and cornering is improved. The only loss is a small amount of on road comfort, which I'll gladly give up for stuff that works this well offroad. It still doesn't compare to my GasGas Kayaba stuff, but so far I haven't found anything that can shine a light on that setup.

All in all I'm super pleased with this setup, I can't thank Rob enough for the work he put into getting this together for me, So a huge shoutout to LANG's OFFROAD in Dorchester, Ontario.

I should also add that the guy I was riding with traded bikes with me and I rode his 990 for a while. He got off the Tiger and his first comment was how good the suspension felt. He actually preferred it to his Katoom stuff. I also preferred the reworked Tiger suspension.

[​IMG]

wilfred and Night Falcon like this.
  11. sparrow

sparrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where in the U.S. is good for '16 xca suspension work?
  12. Bear_wa

Bear_wa Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. bumpedmyhead

bumpedmyhead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Traxxion Dynamics, Atlanta area did mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
  14. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I was gonna tell you to call Mikes Dirtbike Suspension since he was posting here a page back and gave a ton of great advice regarding Tiger’s specifically, plus he owned one, but I checked his website and he just posted a retirement notice. Congrats @Mconnell!! Go enjoy the trails!!
  15. Mconnell

Mconnell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Fyi, I'm in the process of selling my business and training the new owner. More to come...
    CDN Rick likes this.
  16. sparrow

sparrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    I asked because I saw that last night. Congrats Mike enjoy the ride
  17. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had my '15 XRX done by Traxxion Dynamics
    bumpedmyhead likes this.
  18. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Mike. I am finishing up after a three year transition deal with the new owners of my business. It gave me great pleasure seeing them ( husband and wife team) continue to give my old clients good service and soak up my accumulated tips/hints in the technical and administration areas. I hope it goes well for you too.
    CDN Rick likes this.
  19. jstev4610

jstev4610 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's the consensus on the rear WP shock? Rebuild or replace? One vendor I talked to said it would be minimal change no matter what I did to the shock because of the short stroke. I'm hoping not to drop 1300 on a replacement for the rear and still have to shell out on the front but really want to transform the entire bike. I know it's pricy regardless, I have king's all around on my truck but have had rear shocks on my downhill mtb's revalved and was a major change for the better.
  20. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would imagine that getting the right spring to match your loaded weight( with gear on and luggage carried) would be a big part of the issue, so that the bike is not riding in the bottom half of the available wheel travel. After that matching the valving to suit your riding style would be indicated. The cheaper option would be to use the WP unit and review if the results are what you wanted. It might take more than one re-valve attempt to get it right, unless your suspension guy can observe you riding the bike to see how it is moving in the travel range.

Is the shock length limiting the available wheel travel? I suppose you would need to take out the shock/spring unit and measure how much travel you get, then after disassembling the spring from the shock, refit the shock only and re- measure the amount of travel. There is no point of fitting a longer shock if the current length one allows the wheel full travel. If that is so ( and I am speculating) even the best quality shock would not offer more travel, just maybe control the travel better for longer before it fades.