1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

XCA WP Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by sjgrib, Jan 10, 2018.

1. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Old thread resurrection as I begin seriously exploring what I want to do / can afford to do to my suspension to make this bike feel the way I want it to.

Where are you guys getting springs? I looked at Race Tech’s site and they incorrectly lost the 2015-17 XCX as having Showa units (unless somehow I’m reading it wrong).

I’m on a tight budget as we enter a slow time of year for my business. I’d LOVE to send my entire suspension to Konflict (I would’ve used Mike, too bad we lost what seemed like a great place to set up our bikes but congrats Mike on retirement!) but I’m really wondering if I can get 90% of what I want from front springs. Is a revalve really needed? If I do the front will I be bummed about the back? My goal is to gain more ground clearance by eliminating the loss of almost all the travel from the bikes own weight, and to get more positive feeling from the front end on and off road.

Can $200 worth of work (if I do labor myself) get me 90% of what $1000 worth of work would get me?
  2. Bear_wa

Bear_wa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am enjoying the WP suspension on my bike but starting to dial in a stiffer response as I put on the miles. Eventually I expect to send the parts to Konflict for rebuild. The estimate I received was just over $1000. Pretty sure you can buy parts (Touratech) to upgrade it yourself. I just do not have the confidence to get it done at home on my fairly new bike.
  3. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Race Tech customer service has just been sh!t. As flux indicated, they have the suspension mfr wrong on their page. When contacted, they forward > person who, again, forwards > forwards. Head up their azz. Being 220# I'd be well under sprung for off road, but since I'm a road rider, the suspension is pretty plush. I'll be watching this thread closely..
    flux_capacitor likes this.
  4. DavidTen

DavidTen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Troop, you are pretty close to my weight and I am mainly on road also. May I ask what settings you are currently using? I have not yet begun to jack with the settings on my Tiger and I know the PO was much smaller than me.

Dave
    2016 Xcx
  5. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rear suspension: Full stiff (clockwise) and then backed off (2) rotations. When I travel with fully loaded cases, then full stiff.
    Forks: Fully clockwise then back off each (2) clicks
    DavidTen likes this.
  6. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took a look at Mike's Suspension, he is apparently retired. Any other recommendations?
    BG
  7. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you contacted Alex at Konflict? He has helped/rebuild suspension on a few bikes and is really familiar with these big trailies
  8. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will do that. It appears that you have to have an appointment set up. I'll see what they can do.
    BG
  9. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can ship Alex the suspension or maybe ask him to ship springs and valves if you wanted to take on rebuilding the forks you’re self
  10. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sent out a note to Konflict yesterday. Looking forward to their ideas. I'd do in two steps, sending out the shock 1st.
  11. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I talked to a local suspension shop yesterday that listed services for just about every suspension (Penske, Ohlins, Woodcraft, Traxxion Dynamics, Race Tech, Hyperco, etc), but not WP. They said they can perform services on the WP suspension with no problems. Gonna drop off the bike after the 1st of the year and they'll make some base measurements with me on the bike and give a better idea of recommendations. In a nutshell, minimum of $495 for: fork removal-install/fork springs + pump-dump fluids/shock removal-install/shock spring swap. Add $275 for front fork revalve if desired, for total of $770. Add $270 for shock revalve if desired for total of $1040. Looking forward to this winter project :)
    http://www.tracksidesuspension.com/
    Does anybody know the OEM spring rates on the 2015-2017 XC WP suspended bikes ?
  12. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you end up hearing back from them? I wasn't to keen on "booking a consultation"
  13. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup.. Reply below ...

"Thank you for reaching out with your suspension needs! For the Triumph Tiger XCX offer the following services for that application. We offer a revalve/re-spring (KM2 level revalve) front and rear (reworking the OEM components) with upgrading and replacement of all wear items. This will bring the bike into the proper geometry with your geared weight (just rider) and provide a more stable action, softer initial action, nice mid speed feel with greater bottoming resistance. This setup typically runs roughly 1020-1400.00 dependent on the options chosen. The custom springs will take roughly 5-6 weeks to receive, and the actual service work will take 7-10 business days. "

Let us know your thoughts or any questions you have?

We look forward to working with you!
  14. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    I just orders some RaceTech .8kg fork springs. We are going to pop those in there and note the changes, then go from there. I really don't want to / am able to spend $1000+ on suspension right now. I'll post results in a week or 2. I'm sure I'll end up going for a rear spring at some point too.
  15. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Yes their website is incorrect. I have an email out to them but my understanding is the springs will be a little shorter than stock, we will add some pvc spacers to make up the difference. Evidently this has been done a few times with success according to my dealership.
  17. Bear_wa

Bear_wa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Konflict business traffic must have increased...their prices quote is $300 higher than last summer. Since they are WP experts I will still go with them when I am ready to upgrade.
  18. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get springs installed as of yet?
  19. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    No I haven’t. I need to actually follow up and make sure they’ve been ordered. I’m also talking to Traxxion Dynamics to get their thoughts since they are local to me. I’ll post my findings. What I’ve found out is it seems most people aren’t messing with these WP Tigers which is a damn shame because they could be so much bette than they are.
    troop likes this.
  20. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've managed to find a couple of progressive wound springs for the forks thru Wilbers and Wirth. Wilbers has a US vendor. Haven't had much luck with Wirth stateside. As far as shock springs, Hyperco has fitment for the WP per my local suspension company. That said, both WP/RT have S H I T customer service. Haven't been able to connect live on phone and return emails/voice messages continue unanswered. :(