1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

XCA WP Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by sjgrib, Jan 10, 2018.

1. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I’ll have to look at that. I want a straight wound spring though, I don’t care for how a progressive spring feels but that’s just me.
  2. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For your use as an off roader, I'd also go with a straight wound spring. Me, being a 95%+ on roader, a progressive wound might give me a better street ride. So much will depend on what the shop determines my OEM spring rate to be and the progressive rates on the Wilbers/Wirth's ?
    flux_capacitor likes this.
  3. DavidTen

DavidTen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys have me looking at rear shock replacements for my 2016 Xcx. All I find on web searches is replacement for 11-14 XC models. Can we even get a new rear shock to replace the WP unit on the 2015 and above?

Dave
  4. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nitron makes a shock for the XCx. Contact Terry Diederichs at Norwest Suspension. He did some work on my FZ09 is a first rate guy and very reasonably priced. He use to be a lead tech at RaceTech. Also, Ted at Ted Porter's Beemer Shop
    http://norwestsuspension.com/nitron
    https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Motorcycle/Triumph/Tiger-800-XC-Xca-XCx-A082-C201/?cur=3?year=2016

** Just found these K-Tron fork springs at Revzilla for the XCx. Not too pricey either. **
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k-tech-20ids-fork-springs
    Funny thing is that K-Tron USA says they won't fit the WP forks. Hmmmm
  5. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a thought on this subject. With all the KTM /WP suspension shops with years of experience around, I wonder if a simple re-valve of the rear WP shock would give the desired results. They should also be a source of suitable springs I would imagine. I just asked at a KTM shop who they used for their suspension work. To date I haven't done any more than a re-gas and re-oil job , mainly because I am close to the design weight for a rider ( 79 Kg) and stock the bike handles OK for my weight and riding style.
  6. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All I really want to know is the OEM WP fork/shock spring rates?? The suspension company doing my work will figure that out once they get the springs uninstalled but that will be after the 1st of the year..
  7. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just heard back from Ted Porter at Wilbers BMWshop. The Wilbers progressive fork spring rate is 5.6kg/mm - 7.2kg/mm. Although RaceTech still lists the 2015 > 2017 XCx to have Showa suspension, they do show a factory fork spring rate of 50kg/mm. The Wilbers might be a nice improvement for the street. Ted Porter syas direct replacement, no spacers needed. Food for my thought..
  8. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Well my RaceTech springs showed up yesterday so we will see what happens. Hopefully I have some time this weekend but it’s kinda busy so will see.
  9. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just received a reply on the 800 Tiger UK forum re: Wilbers progressive wound springs. Leaning more/more to them. Still have some time to research tho :)

"Funnily enough fitted a set a couple of months ago and have now down about 4000km on them.Big improvement over the originals but the ride on the road is quite firm.But in potholed gravel roads and river beds its great .Now sits in the right sag range for me 85kgs.Just make sure if you do use them you use Wibers air gaps recommendation 130mm Triumph recommend 107mm in the manual from memory.If you use triumphs recommendation its like riding and jack hammer on smooth tarseal which is odd but thats what happened to me.Really at its worst between 45-60kph.I didn't see wilbers recommendation on their website and set the level to triumph specs Once I reset level to Wilbers specs all good. "
  10. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just received a reply from Wilbers/Germany regarding the OEM spring rates and Wilbers spring rates from their dissecting of the 2015 > XCx/XCa models. Just some FYI ..

Hello again, here the information:

1. Wilbers Spring rate progressive 5.5-7.0 N/mm and OEM fork springs are linear with 5.2 N/mm

2. OEM shock absorber has spring rate 96 N/mm – for standard rider weight of 80-90 kg. We use 110 N/mm and adapt the spring of the shock absorber according to the weight of the rider!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Dirk Wenzelmann

Vertriebsleiter
  11. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also just received a reply from Hyperpro out of the Netherlands. They also have progressive wound fork/shock springs available for the 2015 > XCx/XCa models. They didn't give me the spring rates in their reply so I have a note back for those.
  12. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hyperpro/Netherlands got back to me yesterday. They did confirm the OEM WP shock spring is rated at 98N/mm for a 180# rider. They didn't give me front specifics, but stated the front is a bit firmer than 5.1N/mm (Wilbers stated 5.2N/mm).

"Yes, they had the bike in last week and figured out the rear spring.

The springs are good from bikes with VIN number from 674842 onwards

The front spring rate is progressive from 6.4 to 7.6 N/mm

The rear spring rate is 115 – 164 N/mm"

The front kit (springs/fork fluid) is $178
    The shock spring is $139 (purple) or $149 (black)
    Combi kit is $311 + $24 shipping. I'll be ordering today...
  13. jstev4610

jstev4610 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm still waiting on my ohlins new rear, but the one for the new models is the same spec as my 2016 800 xcx and that's what I'm getting. I had konflict revalve the front and it was a noticeable change for the better.
    DavidTen and flux_capacitor like this.
  14. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rear shock options ..
    https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Motorcycle/Triumph/Tiger-800-XC-Xca-XCx-A082-C201/?cur=3?year=2016

I'm looking forward to my Hyperpro spring kit, but being in WI, it'll be awhile before I have a ride report :(
    DavidTen and flux_capacitor like this.
  15. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Hyperpro suspension just arrived :). My forks are off and I'll take the forks/ springs/fork oil to the shop tomorrow. The shock spring will likely wait until I can ride it there. If I make an appointment, I can wait and they'll only charge $110 to remove the shock/install the spring/re-install the shock. For $110, I'll let the suspension experts do it :)

Attached Files:

flux_capacitor and DavidTen like this.
  16. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rear shock spring is on. Should have a chance to get the shock back on Friday.

Attached Files:

17. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All back together and ready to ride. Many thanks to flux for helpful tips. Now just waiting on riding weather :(
  18. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Glad it’s together. Happy to help as many have helped me along the way. I too am waiting for riding weather. It hasn’t stopped raining here in ages. I’m over it!
  19. bigmankz

bigmankz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking for such an advice. I am looking to upgrade my 2013 800Xc to a 2018 800XCA. I did a short ride on the new model and liked it very much apart from a really soft suspension both front and rear. I am a heavy guy (120kg) and 195 cm tall and my 2013 XC was also too soft. The fork is the simplest 45mm Showa. After installation of uprated spring 0.8kg (stock is 0.55kg) I didn't like as it became too stiff to the point that I could only use about 75% of travel no matter what bumps or jumps I did. It would not compress all the way. It was also not comfortable on hands. So I ordered 0.65kg springs and it made a world of difference. It was stiff enough not to bottom out and soft enough to make the ride comfortable. I forgot to mention that with 0.8kg spring I used 20W (stock is 10w) oil and it was still inadequate as the shock would just shoot out at the expansion stroke. for 0.65 kg spring this oil was just fine and the expansion stroke was damped more or less adequate.

The new bike has a 43mm WP fork and I know that I definitely need stiffer springs. The question is whether 0.8 springs will be too stiff like in Showa or not? Another question will the springs that I have left from my old bike fit in the new one as the new one is 2mm smaller in diameter?

what are your recommendations for the rear spring? what rate it should be for my weight?
  20. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think .80 kg/mm straight wound fork springs will be too stiff for street use. I put Race Tech recommended .80kg/mm springs in my FZ09 and it was really harsh on the road, even when revalved. Many people dislike progressive wound springs, but I find they are the best compromise for road use. The Hyperpro fork springs I installed are .64kg/mm > .77kg/mm and I'm really looking forward to them. For reference, I weigh about 102kg. Just my .02