1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

XCA WP Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by sjgrib, Jan 10, 2018.

1. bigmankz

bigmankz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Troop, yeah my 0.8 springs are also not progressive. I checked the RaceTech site and they recommend 0.9 spring for my weight which will probably make the bike rigid :) I also checked the part numbers for older Tigers with Showa forks and WP forks and both list the same type of springs so I assume that the springs off my old Tiger will fit no problem in the thinner legged WPd Tiger. Still not sure about 0.8 spring. I actually like road feel. It improved steering tremendously but off road it was just too uncomfortable on long rides.
  2. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in contact with RT before I bought my Hyperpro springs. They stated their 2015 XCx was Showa suspended. I assured them that the 2015 > XCx/XCa bikes come with WP suspension. They offered to work on my suspension at a 10% discount and I declined. I believe forum member flux_cap ordered the RT springs for his WP forks and they weren't even close in fitment. FYI ...
  3. bigmankz

bigmankz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the headsup on this. I guess I need to research on that more. Any recommendations on decent manufacturer of springs with higher rates that will fit the 2018 tiger?
  4. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Contact Hyperpro suspension... https://hyperpro.com/contact/

TIGER 800 2015-2018 XC / XCx / Xca

Front fork springs/oil: SP-TR08-SSA013

Rear spring: SP-TR08-SSB013

Front+rear combi kit: SP-TR08-SSC013
  5. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    I’m late to the party here and I really need to do a big write up of my experience. But Troop is right, Racetech improperly lists their 2015+ Xcx’s as having Showa units when clearly they are WP. We ordered them anyway with the intent we’d make spacers to make the difference in length up but when we got the springs they were a LOT longer than my OEM springs. No dice. I tried and tried to find springs and info for this bike but no love anywhere and I wasn’t willing to be the guinea pig anymore. I did through the process end up with fork springs from Racetech that are the correct length (my dealer ordered for me without knowing I had sent my stuff off) I think are .8kg if you’re interested in them. I ended up sending my stuff to member Mike Connell out of Oklahoma. He sprung and valved it for my weight and style and I couldn’t be happier. I have to double check but pretty sure we put .8kg springs up front and I really can’t remember the rear but it’s wrote down. I weight 210lbs plus gear and ride a lot of actual real off-road, forest roads, aggressive twisty paved roads, and interstate.
  6. bigmankz

bigmankz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, for a reply. A quick search didn't reveal any proper sources where a higher rated spring can be purchased online. The option of sending fork half way around the world would probably be too expensive. I called local KTM dealer assuming that they could have more info on WP forks but they never knew that their own WP also supplies forks to Triumph. :)) in any case I will keep looking for options.
  7. Mconnell

Mconnell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gents, sorry that I have been away from the forum for awhile. I had rotator cuff surgery and a death in my family to deal with, so I've been distracted. Bigmankz, for a guy your size I'd go with at least .80 fork springs and maybe even stiffer if you ride aggressively in the dirt. But, I always recommend a revalve and I use 5 wt. fork oil when I revalve. Since I can revalve as I see fit, I design all my revalves to match with 5 wt. oil because it is easier to find and it is more standard in the dirt bike world. As a point of reference, I weigh 155 pounds, and I used .80 forks springs and the stock rear spring on my 2015 Tiger 800 Xcx along with a complete revalve. I have been racing dirt bikes for decades, so I stand up a lot and work the forks pretty hard. I used that bike to ride multiple BDR trips and several rides in Big Bend.

As Fluxcapacitor said, I installed .80 springs in his forks, and I installed a 12.0 rear spring. For a guy your size, I'd probably go with a 13.0. BTW, Fluxcapacitor, thanks for the kind words.

I don't disagree with Troop. If you aren't going to go offroad, .80 is probably too stiff. While I'm not a fan of progressive springs, .64-.77 kg/mm sounds about right for street use. But, their progressive springs is too light IMO for aggressive offroad use.
    flux_capacitor likes this.
  8. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There you go .. good info from one in the know. My off roading is strictly limited to gravel and Wisconsin state roads :rofl

Attached Files:

9. bigmankz

bigmankz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Friend, sorry for you loss. Please accept my condolenses. And I also wish you speedy recovery from your surgery.

As to spring rate. I understand that Showas on older Tigers are completely different forks and are much more simple than WPs on new Tigers. But still why do you think that 0.8 springs were too stiff on Showa and would not be on WP? Is it because of construction of the fork? I mean when I had this 0.8 spring in Showa it was extremely stiff. To the degree that even on very hard and bumpy dirt roads with some jumps the fork was using barely half of the travel and on lighter roads it was around 40%. I mean I can not even imagine what kind of bump it should be to use all of the travel that the fork offered. I think I am more likely to break or bend the bar or break the wheel before I get to the bottom of the travel. The sag was about 1cm. My first thought was that the spring was stiffer than ordered but I checked and it was indeed 0.8.
    In fact I had a ride with a buddy of mine who bought my old Tiger. He weighs about 8 kilos less than me. We parked our bikes next to each other. I measured that on 0.65 spring the old bike stands about 5 cm higher in the fork than my 2018 Tiger. Both bikes were unloaded and no riders on them. When we sat on them his sag was about 5 cm and mine was more than 10. I mean just sitting on the bike with no luggage I used half of the travel.
    I am not a professional but its just doesn't add up to me. :(

In any case since you know this fork and even do the revalving could you sell me just the springs? What is the stock rate on OEM springs? Is it the same as in older Tigers - 0.55? I am all the way in Kazakhstan and shipping fork to you and back would probably cost a fortune. :)

As to the rear spring from my experience I need about 30% stiffer then OEM. If you could sell me springs or tell me the source where I can purchase them online I would apppreciate it.
  10. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as the rear spring, the OEM shock spring is .95kg/mm . The progressive wound Hyperpro is 1.15kg/mm > 1.65kg/mm. You might want to make an inquiry to them...
  11. Mconnell

Mconnell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As a general rule, stiffer springs don’t make the bike ride stiffer. The valving is usually the culprit. The Showa forks had pistons with tiny holes that didn’t allow for enough oil flow. So, no matter how light that you tried to valve it (using less shims or thinner shims), the holes in the pistons remained the choke point. This resulted in a harsh ride, and that’s why most guys had to replace the entire inner cartridge to see any improvement.

Luckily, the WP fork doesn’t have that problem. So, it responds well to revalving. In answer to your stock spring question, I’ve measured them on my spring tester at .50 kg/mm. That’s pathetic. That’s about right for a dirt bike that weighs 250 pounds. The Tiger weighs over 500 pounds with a full tank of gas, so you can see why I hardly ever go less than .75 kg/mm on a Tiger, BMW 800, Africa Twin, or Ktm 1190.

I get all my springs wound custom for my customers, so I don’t keep anything on the shelf. Since you’re outside of the USA, Hyperpro is probably your best bet. The progressive springs that Troop mentioned sound like a good fit for your size.
  12. troop

troop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The weather has finally turned, and I have been able to put a few miles on my Hyperpro front/rear spring swap. I have to say the change is is a resounding success. The ride feels very planted and controlled. Granted, I'm a 95%+ road rider, but the improvement is dramatic. The front/rear combi kit was $330 and spring swap labor was $105. Money well spent. Still have the damn WP shock thunk going on tho :( .
    flux_capacitor likes this.
  13. jstev4610

jstev4610 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got my Ohlins put on the rear, haven't put any offroad miles on it but it already feels like a giant upgrade. Question for you that have swapped, did you resell the WP rear, and where and what's a fair price (mines off a '16 xcx)?
  14. BigDiggity

BigDiggity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you put any off-road miles on that Ohlins suspension yet? Any updates?
    I'm looking to beef up my suspension for off-road.
  15. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going to bump this old thread and ask if anyone still has the rear WP shock in decent shape still kicking around and would be interested in selling it.
  16. jstev4610

jstev4610 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sorry haven't been on for a while. It's amazing, tracks so well on rutted roads and washboard. Bottom out issue is gone.
  17. BigMan73

BigMan73 Binary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mike revalved my rear suspension and resprung it for my weight (270, I'm 240 + gear + 2 gallon rear gas tank).
    The bike is performing very well on and off road. I can corner like I could never before and off road it feels like a very big dirt bike, not a soft ADV.
  18. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are you guys using / doing to ship your forks and rear shock?

I took a quick look for a hard case with foam inside and thats a pretty pricey option unfortunately!
  19. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To answer my own question for the fellow Canadians.
    Canadian Tire has this piano hard case. Less then $200. I'll be able to reuse it for other things later so it won't go to waste. 20200903_201229.jpg