Xchallenge road trip- breakdown (now fixed)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mreich77, Jun 4, 2009.

1. mreich77

mreich77 GUNIVY

Oddometer:
    Riding from Sacramento Ca to Las Vegas. Currently in Bishop Ca. Bike won't start. Turn on the key, all looks standard, hit the starter and nothing but some clicking from a switch or relay on the right side below the airbox. First both turn signal indicators light and flash, then an abs warning appears. Any thoughts? Sorry about the cryptic message, using iPhone. Thanks. Any ideas you can call my cell 916-607-0712.
  2. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    posted in Jomomma for ya :thumb
  3. Mike Butt

Mike Butt Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Side stand kill switch? Fuel pump?

I assume we are talking about what used to be called a F650.
  4. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your battery is toast. It has enough juice to do a few lights, but not enough to crank the starter. What does the volt meter in the dash read? If its less than 12V, you won't be able to use the starter but might still be able to bump start it.
  5. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    It's the battery. There's a multi-brand dealer in town--Golden State Cycle (right on the 395/6 split--long curve in the road by the fairgrounds). They should have the right battery or something close.
    Toll Free: 888-947-1570

What you need to find out is if the charging system is toast. If the battery is the only problem, you're golden. You may have fried a stator or regulator. They can check that in a few minutes with a voltmeter.

Paging Stonewall to the white courtesy phone.
  6. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    agree with the Donkey, sounds like a dead battery

PM'd ya Stonewall's contact info (Advrider in Bishop)

Also try PM'ing Magilla, Mark's son.
  7. mreich77

mreich77 GUNIVY

Oddometer:
    Man, thanks so much guys. Hopefully it is just the battery. Great community!
  8. mreich77

mreich77 GUNIVY

Oddometer:
    My options are: 1) in the am hoof to the local Bishop shop, with battery in tow, and see if a replacement does the trick. 2) rent a uhaul, load up the bike, continue to Vegas, and have the Vegas bmw dealer fix her. 3) have bmw road service take the bike to a dealer and set me up with a renta to drive to Vegas then back home. I'd live to get back on the bike!
  9. thor.i.am

thor.i.am ridin' a KLR

Oddometer:
    My KLR did this last year. I thought that it was the battery but after a test the battery was fine. It took about four hours to find that it was the starter relay.

I am not sure if your bike is setup the same way but my relay just clicked away when I hit the ignition.
  10. mreich77

mreich77 GUNIVY

Oddometer:
    Sounds similar. Tow service coming this morning so I'll have them test the battery. If the battery is good maybe the relay? Voltage showing at only 11.5. Thanks.
  11. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...you were riding along, stopped for gas/food and now it's 11.5 volts and won't start? I'm not optimistic about your charging system. The battery might just be the victim.

Here are a couple of options. Again, once the bike is running with a fresh battery, it's quick to diagnose whether it's just the battery or if the stator crapped the bed (it'll start charging--13.8V or better, or it won't).

If the stator is toast, here is another way to limp it home (not popular or necessarily safe but if you gotta' do it...).

Almost the same thing happened to me once. I bought the biggest marine battery I could find, strapped it to the seat (really secure tie-down straps), wired it to the battery terminals, unplugged the headlight and rode it home 500 miles as a total-loss system. It cost $100 for the battery and the wire but I saved waayyy more than that in towing costs.
  12. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    Called him this morning, waiting to here back after the tow truck arrives. :deal
  13. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    double check the fuses. if they're good then it's probably your battery. Some of them have been known to go out quickly. I had mine replaced under warranty. you can jump it but don't have the car/truck/whatever turn their vehicle on, I've heard it'll fry the wires - too much power.

good ideas above.
  14. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    His battery was toast :cry , 13.5V no load :huh/ 3.5V:eek1 with a load. Battery from a Yamaha R6 is the same battery :deal . We picked one up at Golden State Cycle and he is off to Las Vegas. :clapWith another story to tell :norton And he now knows about the "Tent Space Thread" :lol3
  15. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    good news.
    You are a good guy Mark, even if you did bail on dinner. Next time I bring steaks and see if ya show up :lol3
  16. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Good to see the Power of ADV put to good use again! :super

Cross over parts rock!

If I owned that bike I'd be concerned WHY the BATT went dead on a relatively new bike. I know the previous F650's cooked/overcharged batteries. I wonder
    if this fine Teutonic tradition has been carried over to the XChallenge? :ddog
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    :clap
    A battery can last from six months to six years, they are a mystery that way:ear .

I think best you get is a one year guarantee on a moto battery.

If you have a wet battery now is the time to check the acid level.

I checked three om my motorhome, two very low on acid.

Two Yamaha TW200's, both very low on acid.

One BMW R1100RSL, very low on acid. (you need a box full of tools and more than one hour to take that batery out fill it and put it back. You have to remove both seats, the left fairing, air box lid, air intake funnel and gas tank unless you are careful and dextrIous then the tank can stay on. THANKS BMW
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    good to hear another good story....good job stonewall and everyone who pitched in...:thumb
  19. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    James did all of the work and drove him around :deal
  20. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Love your sig (Kill television) !! but don't agree about your analysis on batteries. A battery may not have any warranty at all, but are far more consistent ... except perhaps on BMW's :D ?
    I haven't seen a failed battery in 20 years on multiple bikes.

Check Acid level? :eek1 Modern bikes .... even some BMW's ... have used SEALED Lead/Acid batteries for nearly a decade. A sealed battery does not need topping up and are "sealed" ... as the name implies. Acid does NOT boil off or evaporate.

I would imagine the XChallenge would use a Sealed, MF, Glass Matt, Sealed battery.
    A good quality Japanese made MF Glass Matt batt will last years and years.
    My original Vstrom battery is now 7 years old. Still OK!

They like to be kept on a Battery Tender (like ALL lead acid batteries).

If some of your older batteries are NON sealed types, I'd recommend swapping them out once they die.