Xenforo Transition FAQ

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by Mossy_Crk, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Mike.Gail

Mike.Gail Intentionally Blank

Oddometer:
    It's on the to do list, Baldy wants to make sure the forum is running in top form before adding more stuff on.
  2. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the fast answer, thanks.
  3. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    When Baldy gets around to supporting smugmug video I sure hope he doesn't do what smugmug does with embedded videos... flash only for desktops even when the desktop doesn't have flash installed. It annoys me no end that I have to use an iDevice to see an embedded video from smugmug because the embed code only delivers flash. I can't even open a window to smugmug because there's no easy way to get the link of the video... all I see is a "missing plug-in" button. It's not missing, it's been intentionally removed for the health and well being of my machine. Grumble.

Kill flash. Kill it dead.
  4. Blue Mule

Blue Mule Persistent Slacker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a tutorial on all the new functions anywhere? We have new options and abilities the old software didnt have and i see more than a few folks struggling with not knowing what they dont know....if ya get my drift.

For example, the +quote button on others posts, how it works/ how to use it.
    I tried explaining but not sure how well i did....

I personally have some questions about all the post box functions as well.

@OldLion <--then this. Its not working all the time? I used it in Inmates fine, but here its not working?
  5. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    This not my browser setting. I have confirmed the same issue with Chrome and IE. And at both my work and home station. It has to do with the Xenforo settings.
    Please at least add it to the punch list for future resolution.
  6. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Posted this topic in the "What works, what doesn't" thread as well:

So it appears that if you ignore someone, any thread they have started is rendered invisible to you - correct?

I am okay with that, but I want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

To ignore someone, I have clicked on their avatar. A window comes up, and at the top right of that window is an "Ignore" button.

Previously, if you ignored someone, their thread would still show up on the list, but when you rolled your mouse over it, it would not have a preview panel pop up.

Site looks great by the way - even for someone who continued to use the old "CrAsH" display mode. :lol3
  7. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    Correct. If you are ignoring the starter of a thread, the whole thread will disappear.
  8. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    Mozilla has blocked all versions of Flash in Firefox after security researchers discovered vulnerabilities that affect various operating systems, that hadn't been patched.

Have you installed the latest update for Flash?

More voices are being raised to discontinue Flash. Adobe responded with the latest update. Because of its widespread distribution Flash is ever in the eyes of hackers.

Last Tuesday Adobe stated:
    Quoted:

A few days ago we were notified of two vulnerabilities within the Flash Player that could potentially allow an attacker to take control of an affected system. Upon investigation, we confirmed and fixed the issues, and took steps to ensure that this class of attack cannot be used as a future attack vector.

We released an update to Flash Player this morning, and are proactively pushing the update out to users. We are also working with browser vendors to distribute the updated player.

We would like to thank Dhanesh Kizhakkinan of FireEye and Peter Pi of TrendMicro and slipstream/RoL for reporting the issues and working with us to help us quickly address them.

Flash Player is one of the most ubiquitous and widely distributed pieces of software in the world, and as such, is a target of malicious hackers. We are actively working to improve Flash Player security, and as we did in this case, will work to quickly address issues when they are discovered.

We continue to partner with browser vendors to both improve Flash Player security as well as invest in, contribute to and support more modern technologies such as HTML5 and JavaScript.
    End quote.

Nothing said about discontinuing Flash.
    My take?
    Ain't happening .

George
  9. Hedge36

Hedge36 My e-penis is huge.

Oddometer:
    Adobe never talks about discontinuing a product. They just stop developing on it, then stop supporting it, until it simply dies on the vine due to a lack of interest and use.
  10. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. Running the latest flash only means your machine is patched against the KNOWN flaws. I have full confidence that zero day flaws will continue to be found and exploited. For that reason I do not and will not install flash on any machine I care about. Instead I'll do without. It's easy enough to bookmark a page that needs flash then look at the page on an iDevice. Funny how the content providers won't get rid of flash yet have no problems supporting devices where flash isn't an option.
  11. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    IOS - Apple devices do not support Flash presentations.
    Obviously for valid reasons.
    To view on such devices one needs to download the Puffin Browser app.

George
  12. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
  13. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:

First post and first page of this thread.
  14. Blue Mule

Blue Mule Persistent Slacker Supporter

Oddometer:
    :fpalm

Yes thanks i saw that before.. my questions aren't addressed there.
    Though i see a bunch of changes have happened so at least one of my questions is now moot.
  15. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The misleading Quote button disappeared, just click reply for each post you want quoted. I was able to do 4 quotes earlier today.
  16. kaia

kaia team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer:
    one thing that got lost in the transition, that i mentioned 30 pages back in the "What's working what isn't" thread is... thread subscription folders. i heavily used that feature, and miss it... obviously not a broken feature, but missed one.
  17. trrt

trrt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks, got it working now, however for the benefit of anyone else having similar problems, I was only able to resolve this by uninstalling Tapatalk from my phone and then reinstalling it. Maybe clearing the cache would have worked too, but I didnt think to try that at the time.

Thanks to the guys who worked this transition!
  18. turkeyman101

turkeyman101 Navigationally Impaired Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try the "Watched Threads" tab. Mine were all there.
  19. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    He's referring to the subfolders that used to be available in vB. A few users used them to better organize a large number of subscriptions. Unfortunately, we don't have a comparable feature right now.
  20. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    So I went to Watched Forums expecting to find a list of the forums (and sub-forums) from which I could select. Maybe like the list I see in Search In Forums. But all I see is "You are not watching any forums." Do I have to go to each and every forum to find and click on the Watch Forum link? With a list of all forums, it is quick and easy to see the ones I am *not* watching in case a new one has been added or my interests have changed. Not a terribly big deal; more ease and convenience. But of course I have no idea how flexible and customizeable the Xenforo system is.

Also, posts inside a thread used to be able to have titles. Gone?