Xenforo Transition FAQ

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by Mossy_Crk, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Zalifer

Zalifer n00b

Oddometer:
    Not really a fan of the change at all. Everything is huge (text and buttons, for example), and every time I move my mouse over something, I get something popping up.

I'm a fan of KISS (Keep it simple stupid) and this new software is just all over the place. I can't even see how many pages there are in a thread without mousing over it.

I guess I don't really get a say though, with my small bit of reading and posting.
  2. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    I was away in June so missed the info about the change. 80% of my subscriptions were in folders. All of them are gone. Big Bummer (sigh...)
  3. 1200gsceej

Oddometer:
    Posting or Replying/Quoting while reading a Thread

1. There used to be a way to post a comment to a thread w/o "replying" to any particular post. I don't see that in the new system; am I missing it?
    2. When I am reading a thread in Default view, at the bottom of each page is what appears to be a blank reply form. It has my avatar, the editing buttons, blank space for text, and a Post Reply and More Options buttons. I tried entering text there and clicking Post Reply but got an error (please enter valid message, I think). Is that where I am supposed to be able to add a post w/o quoting?

Now the main questions:
    3. Let's say I am reading a thread of many pages and encounter a post to which I'd like to reply. I click Quote, fill in the form with my comment, then click Post Reply. Once the new post is processed I find myself on the last page of the thread - either at the top, or at the bottom viewing the post I just created. I have to "find my way back" to where I was in reading the thread. Using the browser Back button will walk me through the posting that I just did. I may eventually get to where I was, but it does not always work. Is there a way to at least stay on the same page of the thread? [Note - I will try using the 'open in new tab' when I click on the Quote or Reply button as that may be a workaround.]
    4. Posts used to have titles. I created my own above. Do they no longer exist?

-ceej
  4. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's how the new software works. This is the first time I've heard of that error. The admins monitor this thread and I'll bet they'll add it to their list of things to look at.

Until yesterday, we had a multi-quote function that allowed you to "save" quotes as you went through the thread then put them all in one reply and fill in your comments between them.
    [/quote]

There are no more titles for individual posts.
  5. summerinmaine

summerinmaine Hells Atheists MC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not an expert by any means, but the answer to your query 1/2 is yes. You should be able to simply click on the text box, enter your message, and then click "post reply." Not sure why it isn't working for you. BTW I'm in the Black Responsive (Orange) skin.

As to #3, it is a bit cumbersome, but I've found that I remain on the same page (although not at the post I quoted) and a message line indicates there are intervening posts and would I like them displayed. I just scroll back up to the quoted post, and continue reading then click on the message line.

As to #4, apparently not.
  6. 12Bong13

12Bong13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you control the e-mail notifications for watched threads? There seems to only be one setting that is ''get an e-mail everytime someone posts something''.
    In the old version, you could select that option, but also a once a day e-mail was available.

I have read through this whole thread and could not find anything.

Thanks
  7. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    Immediate or never. Hopefully that's one of the areas that add-ons can address once everything gets settled.
  8. summerinmaine

Oddometer:
    I have someone on ignore, and it worked for a while, but now his posts are showing up again. When I clicked on his user ID to put him back on ignore, the software acknowledged he was still on the list.

Strange . . . :scratch
  9. 12Bong13

12Bong13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  10. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My ignore list is also broken. :baldy
  11. summerinmaine

Oddometer:

No wonder I can see your post! :D

:hide
  12. Hedge36

Hedge36 My e-penis is huge.

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Is that more or less irritating than the horror of having to skip reading some asshole's post?
  13. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    SIM:
    How I knew it was broken too. :rofl
    The cumulative effect of a dozen such assholes is hard on my bloodpressure. :uhoh
  14. 1200gsceej

Oddometer:
    How to Cancel a Post or a Reply?
    I started this by typing into the reply form that appears at the bottom of each page when viewing a thread. My question is, once I have started, how to I cancel? More than once I have started to say something and changed my mind (actually typing the words sometimes makes me realize that what I was about to say is not as brilliant or useful as I had originally thought).
    Again, using the browser Back button might possibly work, but is not a good software solution.
    If a Cancel button cannot be added next to Post Reply, perhaps it could be added to More Options?
  15. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    It saves an auto draft as you type, which is super helpful for long posts. To delete what has been saved, click out of the box so it isn't active. Click on the floppy disk icon and choose delete draft.
  16. summerinmaine

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I wondered about that one myself, as it's certainly not intuitive!
  17. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah!! Thanks!!

I was wondering what was going on with a post I started to write decided not to post but that kept reappearing even after deleting the words. :thumb
  18. 1200gsceej

Oddometer:
    does not work for me.
    I clicked Reply to your post in order to start this.
    Then I clicked 'outside' to remove the focus; I clicked Delete Draft and nothing changed. Nothing disappeared. In fact, the focus (cursor) reappeared in this draft where it had been.

More comments.
    Entering text in the blank post form at the bottom will add a new post.
    Clicking Reply at the bottom of someone's post will quote them in the blank form.
    Clicking on Reply to another post will add that quote to the blank form.
    Clicking on the +Quote puts the quoted text away in some magic/special place.
    I notice a new "Insert Quotes" button at the bottom of the form. When clicked, the saved quotes are pasted into the form.
    It seems to me that this is duplicate functionality. Multiple Reply ==same as== Multiple +Quote then Insert Quotes.

I don't object to this.
    I only mention it because I would like to see duplicate functionality by the addition of a Cancel button added to the bottom of the post form that would clear the form and any saved drafts. Lets make it simple for the inmates and follow standard conventions.
  19. Mossy_Crk

Mossy_Crk Fallen over

Oddometer:
    It won't delete what's in the box, it deletes the hidden draft copy of it.

I'm in the camp that believes there are subtle differences between the functionality. You can read those comments over here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/attention.1071834/page-26#post-27248221

I think that's a great idea if it's functionally possible. Baldy is bringing on some more help to work out style issues. Maybe this is something they can look at.
  20. 1200gsceej

Oddometer:
    1200gsceej said:
    the addition of a Cancel button added to the bottom of the post form that would clear the form and any saved drafts.
    Since the "Insert Quotes" button got added with its functionality, I'd bet at least a nickle that a "Cancel" button could be, too.