XL500Scout- Restomod

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by shinyribs, May 12, 2018.

1. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    I haven't abandoned this bike, just been spending all my free time riding. The lens for the master cylinder finally showed up, so I got that put in and the brakes bled.
    DSC08752.JPG

I need to focus on getting the wiring sorted, but I'm not sure how to go about refinishing this switch housing so it actually looks nice. Anyone have any ideas?

DSC08754.JPG

Moment of truth...I went on a ride with some buds last weekend and ended up in a rock garden. I've never been in rocks like that before, but I loved it. Riding home I was thinking about the day's ride, and how my trusty XR4 was screaming under me, then my mind wandered to the idea of taking this bike through that place. I suddenly had no motivation to go all out on painting this bike. I also think's it's gonna need a legit bashplate. So...the moment of truth? I kinda wish I would have just slapped this sucker together with some spray paint and took it straight to the woods. :lol3 Too late to turn back now?
    G600 likes this.
  2. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's in your screen name man, "shiny", shiny is better. Make it look nice. None of this "original patina" nonsense. :lol3 Just don't drop it when you're finished. :D
    shinyribs likes this.
  3. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes much neater :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
  4. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My old xt5 sounded great with a supertrapp, you can fit a shroud/shield on the inner. Bonus is that you can pull out disks for rego etc.
    Great work, I 'grew' up in the 23 inch world...
    And sand the fins

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    shinyribs likes this.
  5. colberoni

colberoni Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks like it's been awhile since you posted about it, but do you have any updates on this bike? I have boyish dreams of resto-modding an older enduro; parts of me wants similar with front and rear disc conversions, 12v LED lights, and that lovely 70-80's tractor grunt, but parts of me also wants some brand new 17" excel supermoto wheels paired with an old bike, just for the hell of it! :happay

I constantly cruise KSL (it's like Mormon craigslist, for those of us who live in Utah :evil) for older bikes, and I know one day I'll pick up another, and I will have to credit a lot of my tenacity to this thread!
  6. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Hey colberoni, I ended up focusing most of my efforts on another build lately, but this one isn't forgotten about. I was at the Barber Festival a while back and found a very nice side cover for the bike, but there's not been any work done. Hope to get started back on this project soon, though.

You mentioned 12v LED lights, and I'm with you on this. On these XL's it seems you can get an electrical system from a Ascot and get away from the stock 6v stuff, but as my funds have been going towards my CB1100F project I haven't pursued this conversion for this bike. That's one reason why this thread hasn't been updated in a while. But....I'm currently accepting donations :lol3

On the sumo topic, a while back I had the opportunity to pick up a very nice IT490 that would have made a very fun retro sort of sumo, but I've got too many irons in the fire as it is!

[​IMG]

Sorry I haven't replied to anyone's comments on this page. I hadn't seen them until now as I was not "watching" my own thread :lol3
  7. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt this bike is going to turn out killer. After stumbling upon your CB1100F build, it's obvious you have an eye for envisioning what the finished product should be and have been endowed with excellent fabrication skills to make that happen. :thumb
    I'm tagging along on both builds. :lurk
  8. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Wow. I'm not sure I deserve that many compliments. :lol3 Like anyone else, I've learned how to do some things from failing and falling on my face. I love bikes and I LOVE building. After picking people's brains and collecting tools for 20+ years you start to get the hang of things, but the more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know. I always thought threads like this were for showoffs, but I've learned that forums are a great way to share building techniques. I've learned a lot this way, so I'm just sharing some of the things I fumbled upon myself. It's nice to hear feedback like this from people like you, so thank you!
  9. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have used Mop 'n Glo with some success
    shinyribs likes this.
  10. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    If the housing is plastic I'll usually buff them with vaseline. BMW K' series switches are notorious for fading and looking like crap in a short time. Always works for me.
    shinyribs and Richarde1605 like this.
  11. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder which one lasts longer, the Mop & Glo or the Vaseline ?
  12. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I haven't heard of either of those ideas, so I'll give them a try. I'm looking at the switch now and it's actually got some spray paint on it. Oh, joy!
  13. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried this before? I've done it on switch gear with success, careful though as you need to get a feel for it.

14. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lemon Pledge is another possibility
  15. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wipe new works great.
  16. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the ideas guys. I have used a heat gun on plastics in the past. Definitely requires some patience, but it does work pretty well.
  17. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing this build, I have enjoyed it quite thuroughly. I am in the process of rebuilding a Bridgeport I picked up broken and cheap and enjoy the lathe hacks that you have shared. I have been (and continue to) using my lathe for everything because when the only tool you have is a hammer, the world is a nail. Someone with a tig welder and a blasting setup really shouldn’t complain too loudly about the lack of a mill though.

Great project, good luck finishing.
  18. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man. And yeah, I don't mean to complain, really. I'm grateful for all the tools I've been able to gather up through the years. Good luck on your Bridgeport project :thumb
  19. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I'm back on this bike as of a couple days ago. Some of you may know I was focusing my attention on a CB1100F project. I had entered a bit of a competition with that build. I'm not gonna make the deadline on that competition for various reasons, but most importantly this XL is the one I'd like to ride the most. One of the other guys in that competition is a fella from Greece who is building this sweet little XT500. Seeing his updates always had me wanting to ride the XL. I love what he's done with this thing! The tank is from some small Honda I'm not familiar with and he did the framework. It looks so fun and light.

[​IMG]

There's not much left to do to the XL other than some wiring, paint and rear shocks. In the interest of just getting out ( and lack of budget) and riding this thing I'm just gonna go Krylon on the body for now. So far I am in to the paint job for $10 and ~30 min and I'd be done if not for a moth that that planted itself in my fresh paint :D @rexelstar hooked me up with the wiring diagrams I need to pare down the electrical system to suit me, and I just ordered a pair of Chinohilns :lol3
    [​IMG]

The fabwork is easy for me. Paint always slows me down, so I'm more or less skipping that for now. Hopefully the wiring won't confuse me too much. It's too nice outside to have this bike up on the lift :thumb
    rexelstar, G600, DeepBarney and 2 others like this.
  20. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Seriously... pay someone to shoo the paint. It'll come out better, take less time, and generally be a LOT less headache.