XL500Scout- Restomod

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by shinyribs, May 12, 2018.

1. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    I'll shoot real paint when I'm ready. The bike does deserve it. I had some medical stuff happen that seriously affected my financials, but I'm not gonna let that prevent me from riding. I do this stuff for fun. It's a 40 year old Honda with eBay shocks and a $10 paint job. Bouncing around in the woods will be fun and worry free :thumb
  2. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Got the wiring pared down. It's pretty spartan and likely not to have great light output, but it'll do for now. Can always upgrade to an Ascot setup down the road for full DC lighting, but I've good luck with a simple LED headlight on my XR. We'll see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ignition wiring is overly complex. Happy to have a CDI, but the ignition windings are on one side of the motor and the trigger/ centrifugal advance is on the other side...derp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonna paint the tank tomorrow evening but there's a few peeks of the color I'm playing with for now. Was originally gonna go all white, but it was quickly starting to look like a Brazilian Police bike or something :D

[​IMG]
  3. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Getting there...I wanted to start this thing this weekend but life got in the way. Prepare yerself for Krylon goodness. It's not half bad for $10 worth of paint and completely winging the striping. I didn't spend extra to get narrow masking tape for the stripes. I just trimmed down the tape I already had. :D The center strip is whatever width 3 passes of my tape equals to. Top shelf :thumb Joking aside, sometimes taking the simple path just feels nice.

I'll let it cure for several days ( it's 85-90 degrees here and humid) then I'll hand polish it. It might actually produce half a shine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up the wrong size t-bolt clamp for the exhaust, so gotta grab one of those and I reckon I could throw in a fresh spark plug. Shocks are somewhere in FedEx's loving care. Some tank decals are in the mail, too.
  4. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Cheap shocks are on. Fit and finish on them seem quite nice. The black bits are powdercoated rather than anodized like the gold bits, so they'll probably hold up to scrapes and scratches better. Sag numbers are good without cranking up the preload, so looks like I got lucky on spring rate. Not surprising as many reports claimed the springs were on the stiff side. This bike is light, but the swingarm has a lot of leverage against the shocks. Tank decals are on and finishes the look, I think. The shock reservoirs got in the way of the helmet lock and the exhaust, so I'm having to remount it. Gonna go for a heat shield combo with the new exhaust mount to help shed some of the cafe vibe. Planning to drill a matching pattern in it to go along with the heat shield on the head pipes.

Just had to turn up a couple washers for the top mounts. The shocks came with enough different insert bushings that they were an easy bolt on. Couple close up looks.
    [​IMG]

NOK seals is nice to know. Should be easily attainable. The other spelling doesn't instill much confidence. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are kinda silly. But to be honest, they're not much worse than what Yamaha supplied with my FZ07. And these at least fit the lock rings, which is more than I could say for the Yamaha tool. Plenty adequate for the job though, as the rings turn freely.
    [​IMG]

Some guys complained their shocks came charged with air vs nitrogen. I honestly have no idea how you would even determine that, but I went ahead and recharged them anyway. Both shocks were showing 35psi out of the box. I shot 75 psi in the,m. 2 minute job. Not gonna fool with anything else unless I see a need to. Heavy seat bounce tests show pretty good damping characteristics ( no wild rebound) without feeling harsh at all. Curious to see what they do out in the real world. Hope to find out soon enough.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    FR700, Navin, Foxed101 and 8 others like this.
  5. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Got the exhaust remounted and added a heat shield. It's pretty thin. Just for looks, but I think it suits the bike better like this. Thought about adding this emblem but don't want to overdo it. Still on the fence with that one. Been awhile since I used the bead roller, so it's far from perfect. Those acorn nuts will be replaced with some shiny ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put some gas in and went to start her up, but the bike had different plans. Petcock and accel pump both decided to start leaking. Still wanted to fire it up anyway, but as soon as I started kicking oil began to POUR out of this area. No clue. I'll pull her down tomorrow and figure it out. At least I know oil is flowing well...

[​IMG]
    Navin and G600 like this.
  6. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are two open bolt holes. Did it leak with the now missing bolts installed ?
  7. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    It did. The bottom empty bolt hole in the picture is the one for the sprocket cover. The upper empty bole hole is where I started to remove the cover, but decided to eat dinner and revisit it tomorrow instead. :D
  8. G600

G600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    shinyribs, the bike is just stunning.

The petcock might stop leaking after a while as the rubber starts to expand when in comes in contact with gas.

Do you have a link to the CB1100 build?
    shinyribs likes this.
  9. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Seal behind the sprocket split/worn/dislodged/missing?:confused
    shinyribs likes this.
  10. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    ^ My first worry was I had messed up the seal at the output shaft, but the oil wasn't coming from that far up.

Well, this answers the oil gushing. Huge gap over the gasket that feeds the output shaft bearing. I'm thinking maybe it was a gasket for a smaller cc XL? Or maybe just a poorly cut gasket? Ordered a replacement. The accel pump on the carb had dried up and gone crispy, so got a few fresh rubber parts for the carb on the way as well.

[​IMG]

Noticed I was missing a inner fender and the intake for the airbox was very exposed. So whipped out some Kydex and made on up. There's two hooks on the frame it rests on, then a notch in the seat locks her in place. I'm glad I caught that one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    JagLite likes this.
  11. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but it is quite a cheesy paint job :D I look forward to a proper paint job, hopefully this winter.

Yes, the petcock seems to have sealed up. I'm hoping it will last a little while. I need to shop for a packing kit, though.

The CB1100F build is right here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/cb1100f-long-time-coming.1321844/
    G600 and Navin like this.
  12. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    So I got the XL fired up today and the motor is great. I swear it feels quite a bit more powerful than my XR400. the bike starts great and kicks easy. It immediately settled in to a nice idle and seems to pull well at all rpms. It runs smooth and quietly and stat great hot or cold. But there are some teething issues to work out. The rear brake is dead. I don't know yet if it's a pedal leverage ratio issue or if the master cylinder is just too big. Should be easy enough to figure out. And none of the lights are coming on at all. Could be something I did wrong, but I need to see if that portion of the stator is even producing voltage. Oh, and the speedometer started squealing, too. Holy sh!t did that scare me! I thought something in the engine was squealing at first and I thought I would cry :D

I only rode it for a few miles around the property, but I think it's going to ride good. The ride is firmer than you'd want for a dirt bike, but that should translate to good street manners for a scrambler type setup.. Zipped through some ditches and the rear shocks weren't bad at first glance. The compression isn't overly stiff and the rebound is ok for a dual sport ride. The KLR fork feels MUCH better on this 125lb lighter bike and the steering feels very neutral. Actually feels like the fork wants to rebound too fast, but it's too early to tell much. I was worried about it feeling top heavy with it being raised almost 3", but it's not the case. Weaving back and forth in the grass feels very balanced and nimble.

I've got the bike geared +1 up front so it doesn't wheelie quite as easy with this longer swingarm. Instead it seems it just wants to sling roost forever. It'll still stand up in 2nd on just throttle, though. I love these old torquey thumpers :D This bike is gonna be fun as hell [​IMG] I can't wait to get it sorted out and on the road.

The muffler was very loud. It gave a very harsh bark when you rapped it. I slid out the core and the stock packing was a joke.

[​IMG]

I re-wrapped the core with a real amount of packing, but that harsh bark was still there when you got on it. It was still too loud overall.
    [​IMG]

So I added a baffle to redirect exhaust pulses hoping to cure the loud bark. There's an aluminum disc captured between those rivets.

[​IMG]

That quietened the bike a good amount, but that raspy bark was still there. I discovered it was the way the end cap stands off is what was creating that bark/snap sound. So I turned up a spacer that wedges between the end cap and the baffle to eliminate the gap and it smoothed the exhaust note right out. It has a deep, smooth purr at idle and just growls up a bit when you twist on it. It's not oem quiet, but not offensive. There's only so much you can mask a big bore thump anyway.

[​IMG]

It looks much nicer with the end cap spacer in place vs the empty void it was before.

[​IMG]
    todd900ss, JagLite, brucifer and 7 others like this.
  13. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Got the rear brake working good. MC is the right size for the XR250 caliper. The problem is a case of a used rotor running with used pads don't match up. Scrub mark through the sharpie shows how much contact I was getting.

[​IMG]

Stuck the the rotor on the face plate and resurfaced it. It's MUCH better now, but I fresh set of pads should make a big difference, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rode about 15 miles today. Planned to just go out and dial in the carburetor, but it was running great after an initial idle mixture screw adjustment. The front brakes aren't great....typical KLR 650 feel to them, but they are plenty adequate in the dirt. I may see about getting a grippier set of pads eventually. Not sure what I can do about the speedometer squealing. It only does it occasionally after getting above 15 mph, and thumping the side of it stops it until you slow down again. It was about 90 degrees and humid here today. I didn't ride any of my steep hills ( a K270 ain't no knobby), but I spent about an hour in first and second just slogging through the woods. After it got good and hot the engine would ping slightly under hard throttle at low rpms in 2nd, but I could shift back in to first and it would zip away. It may not like 87 octane in the warmer weather. Clutch slip sunder hard throttle above 3rd gear. The clutch pull is might and smooth so it;s hope it's an issue with fibers and not springs.

But all in all, this bike is great. I'm so happy I own it. The handling is VERY good for a mixmatch shot in the dark. I got lucky. The front end works beautifully. It does rebound a bit fast. I may try thicker fluid since the compression does feel a touch on the soft side through g-outs, but the steering is excellent. The added rake compared to my XR400 gives the bike a much more neutral feel to it. It's not as nervous and doesn't deflect as much as the XR. Though when it does deflect it'll jerk the bars out of your hands. HARD. It might get a stabilizer if it was destined to be a woods only bike, but it's dual sport bound.

The rear shocks are a bit stiff on compression, but the rebound feels good. I may go in to them later on and play with the shims, but I'll see how she does on the road first. For a scrambler I'm very happy with it. I'm not getting full travel with how the shocks are currently set up, but I never felt them bottom. I haven't been the slamming the bike. The bash plate isn't on ( and it's not much- there's no frame down there) and I'm still keeping an eye on my shock mounts I welded on. This is the first kinda critical aluminum thing I've welded like this, so I'll vet it out in the woods before I blast down the highway. So far, so good.

Enough talk and pics of a bike sitting in shop. That's not what bikes are for. Feels so good to ride this thing and see it living and breathing in the woods where she belongs. One afternoon of riding this thing and I already know it's a forever bike. This engine is a dream.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still think it needs fancy paint? :lol3 It took the drop well. Back tire was full of dirt and slid down in to a rut. Just need to bend the shift lever back out as it drag on the stator cover on upshifts now.

[​IMG]

Sun started sitting and I still haven't sorted out the lights, so had to pack it in. I can't remember a more rewarding day of riding than what I had today. I hope y'all had a good time riding today as well! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Z50R, todd900ss, JagLite and 11 others like this.
  14. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    JagLite and shinyribs like this.
  15. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    That a great idea. I've tried to topcoat spray paint with different things in the past with weird results, but after this paint cures for a good long time I will give that a shot. When I dropped the bike yesterday my only concern was the fuel cap may leak and melt all the paint off the tank :lol3

Got the lights going now. Amazing how important those ground wires can be... :fpalm

I gotta say, the headlight isn't really half bad! It's a pretty narrow beam, but it's bright and actually reaches pretty far. I was impressed. For a backroads bike just trying to get home at night it'll do fine. Unfortunately the tail light is horribly dim. The brake light burns fairly bright ( of course it drags the headlight down for a moment) so I don't think it's a ground issue out back. Either way, swapping over the LED's will most likely be on the agenda at some point. But for now, I just gotta get by the DMV to register this puppy so I can hit the road. Already got a couple camping/hiking trips planned I'm dying to take this thing on.
    JagLite, brucifer and DeepBarney like this.
  16. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got the lights going now. Amazing how important those ground wires can be... :fpalm

Decades ago I was told by an old timer that the three most common electrical issues were grounds, grounds and grounds...he was right.
    JagLite and shinyribs like this.
  17. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    No doubt :D It was totally self inflicted. No loose or dirty connections, I just totally neglected to ground the lighting circuit at all.
  18. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    I've been enjoying this bike over the weekend. I got lucky with the chassis geometry. At speed on road it's dead stable and turn in is completely neutral. Turn loose of the bars at 60 and your fine. It's a dream and you can forget that there's a 21 up front. At speed on gravel/dirt it's calm and predictable. If you start pushing hard the front stays planted but the rear starts to feel light. A little whiff of throttle and you drift the rear around easily. It's great.

The engine is great and I love the gearing. First gear chugs down to 1mph and I don't even shift in to 5th til about 50mph, but it'll chug along in 5th at 25mph if you ask it to.Cruising at 60mph is truly effortless. At 75mph the engine still isn't breathing hard and is just thumping along smoothly without shaking the bike. It's only about 35hp, but lots of tq and a big flywheel pulls that wide gearbox easily. The bike just zips around with very little throttle input or rpm. It's quiet, relaxing and just sips gas. Early estimations are showing close to 70mpg. There are NO vibration issues at all, no heat on your leg and the clutch and gears are smooth and effortless. It's just easy and relaxing to ride.

The headlight needs attention and the seat foam could be firmer. The shocks feel like they need a bit more damping on road at speed, but they are plush and comfy over washboards. It's a super simple, super basic, super cheap, super light, super smooth bike that is just plain fun at any speed and on any surface. I'm at about $800 all in. I wouldn't change a thing. Light, smooth and torquey with no battery or electronics to think about.

Modern dual sports need to go back in time a few decades and give up chasing hp numbers for usability. My KLR sucked away from pavement and shook way more than this bike at speed. The DR650 i tested was also a pig. It was a slightly lighter KLR with blue paint. XR650L was poorly geared, top heavy and flatout nervous on the interstate. Anything under the 650cc class was underpowered and buzzy. This lil Honda just zips around effortlessly. It doesnt have the hp to run 2up with lots of luggage, but that's fine by me.

I hope it lasts a long time. I'm grateful the bike fell in my lap. I'm lucky the parts I threw at it panned out. I finally have the dual sport I wanted :D

I think I'll call her Scout.

DSC09944.JPG
    todd900ss, JagLite, Pezz_gs and 11 others like this.
  19. NVTS

NVTS Are you ennen oh eff tee Supporter

Oddometer:
    That pic on 618 between BRP and Arcadia? :ilmostro
  20. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Yessir! Was headed down to Jennings Creek. It usually smells amazing through their at this time of year, but things haven't bloomed out yet.