XL500Scout- Restomod

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by shinyribs, May 12, 2018.

1. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, I hope the thread doesnt die now :(
    DeepBarney likes this.
  2. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. The shakedown runs this weekend have been good, but there's always teething problems with new bikes. Out on a burger and carb tuning run right now. Things are looking good and I've done some luggage related stuff that I'll post up when my internet at home is in a better mood.

But nah, the thread won't die now...the bike just came to life!
    Navin, Kai Ju and DeepBarney like this.
  3. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Been trying to find time to add some updates regarding luggage and a couple changes to the bike, but ended up hitting a deer with this bike about 8:00 Friday evening. I'm sore, but nothing serious. Not sure what condition the bike is in. Front end is very twisted, but the bike felt alright for the 5 miles or so I rode home. Man, 2019 has not been my year....
    Navin likes this.
  4. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well shit eh? I hope you're in good health.

Damn ungulates.

[​IMG]
    shinyribs likes this.
  5. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man. My gear did it's job, but stupid me was only in jeans. Some road rash that was almost healed up is now rashier than ever. That's all my fault. Sliding on gravel is way worse than pavement! Be careful out there, folks.

Ungrateful doe kicked me in the helmet as I lifted the bike off her. I think my Karma is broken :lol3
    JagLite, Baroquenride, G600 and 3 others like this.
  6. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    The original tag bracket I made didn't stand up to the thumper thumpings. You know how those rear fenders always jump around. I really should've known better than to use aluminum, especially with those two little arms. So I remade it out of a sheet of Kydex with a bit of a redesign.

DSC09959.JPG DSC09969.JPG
    brucifer, JagLite, Pezz_gs and 2 others like this.
  7. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I've had these leather saddlebags for years. Got them for $20 from a guy that's didn't ride horses anymore. Laced them together and added a pocket and a clip to secure then to the bike quickly tools. Just big enough to be handy on a daily basis, not really for long rides. Clips off quickly if you're in a suspicious area and want to take your bags with you. One is carrying a tool kit, rain suit and some Rok straps. The other is for whatever. DSC09951.JPG DSC09962.JPG DSC09953.JPG DSC09974.JPG
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Id guess you made out better than the deer! Glad you are alive, could always have been worse if you are here to tell the story.
    villageidiot and shinyribs like this.
  9. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Navin. Yeah, things could've been worse. I was running pretty slow and scanning for deer. It's the time of day they are moving alot around here. I don't think it was in the road and I just didn't see it. I was putting along and suddenly there was a deer head in my face. I think it got spooked and jumped off the bank on to me and the bike.

I'm very happy I got rid of my modular helmet for a legit full face as it's evident I slid on my face. My sun beak and visor broke, but it didn't shatter in my face. I have a small scratch on the side of my nose and my forehead is bruised where the helmet EPS stops. I was spitting out gravel and even pulled one out of my nostril :lol3

Had I been wearing proper riding pants and had my jacket zipped to them then my knee and side wouldn't be rashed up. Coulda rode home without a scratch. Classic case of minimal gear because " I'm just gonna run down to the store real quick".... :fpalm

Disassembled the helmet to clean the grit out of the vents and the internal sunvisor mechanism. The EPS looks fine other than a slightly smushed spot when my forehead compressed it. And there's a knick on my chin where the vent switch for the chin vent got me. Think I'll file that switch down as it doesn't need to be so long. The EPS in the chin bar is cracked in one area. Pretty obvious the chin bar flexed somewhat under the strain and the EPS couldn't flex to match. I think the shell material of the LS2 Pioneer had the right amount of flex for the situation and the EPS was the proper density to absorb the hit without falling to pieces. It's a good helmet IMO and I'll be confident wearing it again for a few more years.

DSC09990.JPG
    DSC09991.JPG
    Navin likes this.
  10. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would put that helmet on the shelf as a conversation starter and get a new one.
    I don't think you can 'visually' assess a helmet's protective properties after it's been crashed.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    Grestil, MacNoob, JagLite and 6 others like this.
  11. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agree, shelve it and buy another.
    MacNoob and JagLite like this.
  12. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I make judgement calls all the time, my pushbike helmets even get turned over pretty frequently, if it really saved my head, and there is reasonable evidence that it did save yours I'd renew it :-)
    JagLite likes this.
  13. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. You may be right. I ride more in the woods than I do on the street these days. If I tossed away a helmet every time I got a thump I'd have to join the Helmet of the Month club :D But for a street bound lid perhaps I should reconsider.
    JagLite and Richarde1605 like this.
  14. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it’s smushed, it’s compromised, and I wouldn’t put my grape in it.
    JagLite and Richarde1605 like this.
  15. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fine probably for the slow gully ride, but no trust in helmets of any kind with other than a scuff to afford full protection next time...

But we all make choices :-)
    JagLite likes this.
  16. NVTS

NVTS Are you ennen oh eff tee Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you wear a medium, I've got an Arai XD4 you can have.
    Navin likes this.
  17. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate such a generous offer. Thank you. But I need a XL to fit all my bad ideas inside.
  18. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I suspect this may have caused the bike to crash, and thus, keeping this thread going. :photog

Shinyribs, get a new helmet!
    DeepBarney and shinyribs like this.
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better to think maybe it was still ok and toss it than to know 100% it wasn't by crash testing it again.

But hey, lucky it was only your head in it! :lol3
    shinyribs likes this.
  20. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    A couple days later. Fresh brain. I looked at the helmet again this morning and found two cracks in the EPS. Yep, it's toast. It'd be dumb to buy $45 worth of visors to put this helmet back together when a new lid is only like $125 anyway. Not a fancy price, but I trust these helmets and will buy another just like it.

Thoughts of the crash are coming back to me slowly and my wife said I was a chatterbox for about an hour when I got home. I don't remember that and I'm assuming I thumped my head harder than I realized. New bruises and sore places keep popping up all over. I think I tumbled more than I thought. I remember noticing the gravel tracks showed the bike slid about 10' on it's own. Not much, but I also remember I had to walk back about 20' to get to where the bike was. A new memory occurred to me about taking the deer to the chest. I found deer hair inside my jacket's hand warmer pocket. I reckon that explains the sore ribs.

Looking forward to this knee healing up so I can kick start this bike again :thumb