XL500Scout- Restomod

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by shinyribs, May 12, 2018.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I have to go up on a rack in a car, i put the seatbelt on.

Ladders, 2nd step MAX.

I dunno, hate the heights. I don’t mind flying, or being on a tall ass mountain road, etc, but man made large structures freak me out. I won’t typically walk up stairs with open treads.

Ahhh, good ol terra firma
    JagLite and shinyribs like this.
  2. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    The damage too bad, but I was kinda sad to see the headlight damage. I hate to see old parts get ruined. I was able to repair the bucket with a soldering iron and get the ring straight enough to remount. I don't know if I can't repair the housing for the switch/indicator lights. The bars and headlight ear were bent in a different direction than they should be considering the scrapes on the fender and which side I found the bike laying on. I don't think the bike flipped, so I reckon I caught the deer square in the headlight/right hand side of the bars. The mounting ear bent right back in to position, too. One of the steering stops bent and let the forks bump the tank. The damage wasn't too bad. Relaxed everything on the front end and it seems to have settled back in to position. No test ride yet since I can't kick the bike, but I think she's gonna be alright :thumb
    DSC09987.JPG DSC09988.JPG DSC09989.JPG IMG_20190603_210005999.jpg IMG_20190603_211236324.jpg Saddlebag has some road rash, but made it through undamaged. All in all, not too bad!

IMG_20190603_222754681.jpg
    brucifer, Navin, Bowler and 6 others like this.
  3. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Now with battlescars for extra coolness.:brow
    Sh*t happens, you're OK is the main thing.

Very nice bike and I enjoyed your thread very much. Thanks for taking the trouble to post it all.
  4. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    I have got to find firmer seat foam for this bike. Finding suitable seat foam for a motorcycle has always been difficult. The local upholstery shops just don't get it. I would love to get my hands on whatever the stuff is the Corbin uses- it's perfect. Anyone have any leads on some legit firm bike seat foam? I can only do about 50-60 miles at a time on this bike before my ass wants to give up :D
  5. NVTS

NVTS Are you ennen oh eff tee Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got foam from my 950 sm your welcome to.
  6. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man, I appreciate that. The foam on this seat is about 4" thick in some areas. I'm not sure if your SM seat has that much cushion on it?
  7. cedric

cedric Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the "Repowering a ktm 640" thread, towards the end he makes a seat using some sort of kayak foam.
    shinyribs likes this.
  8. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Check with the guys at “ht moto”

They probably have it.
  9. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    I will check out ht moto. Thanks. That's a new one for me.

In the meantime I'm trying the cheapo route. I had an old XR250 seat here that I couldn't give away, so I stole some foam off of it. Just enough salvageable material to beef up the main sitting area, but it does seem quite a bit better. If this doesn't work I may be hitting up NVTS to see what he's got :)

Whittled a screwdriver down to make this thing for pulling seat staples. Simple, but it works better than you'd think.
    [​IMG]

Glued in the foam bits from the other seat. Things got messy once I started blending the foam so I didn't get the camera back out. It worked out good, though.

[​IMG]

The rear rotor I turned down earlier quickly warped, so I'm giving a Chinese replacement a try. It seems pretty well made, but I'll need fresh pads to get good contact area. I'll ride to town tomorrow to see what I can find. Note the road rash on the shock mount. My weld didn't let it snap off, so I'm happy with that! :lol3

[​IMG]
  10. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    if you're lookin for some firm stock seat foam, i got the foam from a dr650 seat you can have for the cost of shipping.
  11. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. I spent the day running around town scrounging up enough parts to fix my work truck ( I hate working on cars- I feel for you) and ended up putting almost 90 miles on the bike today. It wasn't touring miles, but honestly, the seat never crossed my mind. It's noticeably firmer so I may have scored here.

I really appreciate you guys' offers on seat foam. I think I'm good for now, but I may crash this thing and rip the seat up... so y'all hold tight to what you got for now :lol3

Picked up some mirrors for this bike and put in an order for new pads, front and rear. The bill was $45 and I picked up some weatherproof connectors to redo the wiring for $15. So I'm up to $860 in this bike so far.

It did very well in 95 degree traffic today. Surprising little heat off this engine. It's obviously not working very hard. It did rattle at me a couple times pulling the mountain on the way home, so I need to pick up a couple main jets. Felt a couple slight lean surges off idle and I've already shimmed the needle up a bit. Time to jump a yet size and see what's up.

It's surprising how much attention this bike gets. Lots of guys telling me stories of their old XL's and CL's,etc...one guy even said " damn, I want to go find me an old XL again!" Tried to get him to ride it to really set the hook, but he declined. Worth a shot!
    G600 and Navin like this.
  12. todd900ss

todd900ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear she’s back on the road!
    This is one of the coolest builds I’ve come across in this community, the fact that you did it for less than a grand makes it all that much sweeter! Congrats sir
    I wouldn’t decline a ride!
    shinyribs likes this.
  13. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Thanks Todd!

Hopefully done crashing for a while, so I decided to wax my bags last night. They look and feel so much better now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to stick a biscuit in my bag and go take a ride this morning. I was actually looking for a tag from my local area tag-o-rama thingy from this forum. Found a nice little pavilion at a church and stopped there to eat breakfast and consult my pitiful map.
    [​IMG]

A bit later I stumbled on to this. Furnace? What?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wasn't really dressed to do a 10 mile hike in 90+ temps...
    [​IMG]

...but I walked out a couple miles to check out a few of the falls and to see what the furnace was all about.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this thing was built in the 1840's to make iron. Very cool to see. I was imagining what it must have been like showing to to work here when this was cutting edge technology.

[​IMG]
    Best I could see inside the furnace.

[​IMG]

There was slag still laying all over the place. I grabbed a couple small pieces and one larger piece to sit on my shelf. The larger piece of slag has a rusty chunk in it, so I've got Roaring Run made iron from the mid 1800's sitting on my shelf now [​IMG] I think that's cool.
    [​IMG]

Shiny like black glass. I reckon it's the limestone/sand content that causes this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the ingredients list! Whoa! Oh, and now I know why they call it pig iron. I always wondered about that.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Noticed someone had decided to start stacking rocks beside the railroad in Eagle Rock.
    [​IMG]

Not sure why they started it, but I added my contribution.
    [​IMG]

Very fun way to spend the morning. Was planning to take a spin for an hour or so...ended up leaving a little after 8:00 and getting home around 2:00 :lol3 About another 100 miles on the bike today. It doesn't mind the heat at all. About 700 miles total since I finished it and I can't see where it's using any oil. I think this is gonna be a good bike. I reckon I'll mow grass tomorrow...
    Bowler, DeepBarney, JagLite and 3 others like this.