XL500Scout- Restomod

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by shinyribs, May 12, 2018.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I have to go up on a rack in a car, i put the seatbelt on.

Ladders, 2nd step MAX.

I dunno, hate the heights. I don’t mind flying, or being on a tall ass mountain road, etc, but man made large structures freak me out. I won’t typically walk up stairs with open treads.

Ahhh, good ol terra firma
    JagLite and shinyribs like this.
  2. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    The damage too bad, but I was kinda sad to see the headlight damage. I hate to see old parts get ruined. I was able to repair the bucket with a soldering iron and get the ring straight enough to remount. I don't know if I can't repair the housing for the switch/indicator lights. The bars and headlight ear were bent in a different direction than they should be considering the scrapes on the fender and which side I found the bike laying on. I don't think the bike flipped, so I reckon I caught the deer square in the headlight/right hand side of the bars. The mounting ear bent right back in to position, too. One of the steering stops bent and let the forks bump the tank. The damage wasn't too bad. Relaxed everything on the front end and it seems to have settled back in to position. No test ride yet since I can't kick the bike, but I think she's gonna be alright :thumb
    DSC09987.JPG DSC09988.JPG DSC09989.JPG IMG_20190603_210005999.jpg IMG_20190603_211236324.jpg Saddlebag has some road rash, but made it through undamaged. All in all, not too bad!

IMG_20190603_222754681.jpg
    brucifer, Navin, Bowler and 6 others like this.
  3. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Now with battlescars for extra coolness.:brow
    Sh*t happens, you're OK is the main thing.

Very nice bike and I enjoyed your thread very much. Thanks for taking the trouble to post it all.
  4. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I have got to find firmer seat foam for this bike. Finding suitable seat foam for a motorcycle has always been difficult. The local upholstery shops just don't get it. I would love to get my hands on whatever the stuff is the Corbin uses- it's perfect. Anyone have any leads on some legit firm bike seat foam? I can only do about 50-60 miles at a time on this bike before my ass wants to give up :D
  5. NVTS

NVTS Are you ennen oh eff tee Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got foam from my 950 sm your welcome to.
  6. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man, I appreciate that. The foam on this seat is about 4" thick in some areas. I'm not sure if your SM seat has that much cushion on it?
  7. cedric

cedric Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the "Repowering a ktm 640" thread, towards the end he makes a seat using some sort of kayak foam.
    shinyribs likes this.
  8. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    Check with the guys at “ht moto”

They probably have it.
  9. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I will check out ht moto. Thanks. That's a new one for me.

In the meantime I'm trying the cheapo route. I had an old XR250 seat here that I couldn't give away, so I stole some foam off of it. Just enough salvageable material to beef up the main sitting area, but it does seem quite a bit better. If this doesn't work I may be hitting up NVTS to see what he's got :)

Whittled a screwdriver down to make this thing for pulling seat staples. Simple, but it works better than you'd think.
    [​IMG]

Glued in the foam bits from the other seat. Things got messy once I started blending the foam so I didn't get the camera back out. It worked out good, though.

[​IMG]

The rear rotor I turned down earlier quickly warped, so I'm giving a Chinese replacement a try. It seems pretty well made, but I'll need fresh pads to get good contact area. I'll ride to town tomorrow to see what I can find. Note the road rash on the shock mount. My weld didn't let it snap off, so I'm happy with that! :lol3

[​IMG]
  10. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    if you're lookin for some firm stock seat foam, i got the foam from a dr650 seat you can have for the cost of shipping.
  11. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. I spent the day running around town scrounging up enough parts to fix my work truck ( I hate working on cars- I feel for you) and ended up putting almost 90 miles on the bike today. It wasn't touring miles, but honestly, the seat never crossed my mind. It's noticeably firmer so I may have scored here.

I really appreciate you guys' offers on seat foam. I think I'm good for now, but I may crash this thing and rip the seat up... so y'all hold tight to what you got for now :lol3

Picked up some mirrors for this bike and put in an order for new pads, front and rear. The bill was $45 and I picked up some weatherproof connectors to redo the wiring for $15. So I'm up to $860 in this bike so far.

It did very well in 95 degree traffic today. Surprising little heat off this engine. It's obviously not working very hard. It did rattle at me a couple times pulling the mountain on the way home, so I need to pick up a couple main jets. Felt a couple slight lean surges off idle and I've already shimmed the needle up a bit. Time to jump a yet size and see what's up.

It's surprising how much attention this bike gets. Lots of guys telling me stories of their old XL's and CL's,etc...one guy even said " damn, I want to go find me an old XL again!" Tried to get him to ride it to really set the hook, but he declined. Worth a shot!
    Ginger Beard, G600 and Navin like this.
  12. todd900ss

todd900ss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear she’s back on the road!
    This is one of the coolest builds I’ve come across in this community, the fact that you did it for less than a grand makes it all that much sweeter! Congrats sir
    I wouldn’t decline a ride!
    shinyribs likes this.
  13. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Thanks Todd!

Hopefully done crashing for a while, so I decided to wax my bags last night. They look and feel so much better now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to stick a biscuit in my bag and go take a ride this morning. I was actually looking for a tag from my local area tag-o-rama thingy from this forum. Found a nice little pavilion at a church and stopped there to eat breakfast and consult my pitiful map.
    [​IMG]

A bit later I stumbled on to this. Furnace? What?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wasn't really dressed to do a 10 mile hike in 90+ temps...
    [​IMG]

...but I walked out a couple miles to check out a few of the falls and to see what the furnace was all about.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this thing was built in the 1840's to make iron. Very cool to see. I was imagining what it must have been like showing to to work here when this was cutting edge technology.

[​IMG]
    Best I could see inside the furnace.

[​IMG]

There was slag still laying all over the place. I grabbed a couple small pieces and one larger piece to sit on my shelf. The larger piece of slag has a rusty chunk in it, so I've got Roaring Run made iron from the mid 1800's sitting on my shelf now [​IMG] I think that's cool.
    [​IMG]

Shiny like black glass. I reckon it's the limestone/sand content that causes this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the ingredients list! Whoa! Oh, and now I know why they call it pig iron. I always wondered about that.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Noticed someone had decided to start stacking rocks beside the railroad in Eagle Rock.
    [​IMG]

Not sure why they started it, but I added my contribution.
    [​IMG]

Very fun way to spend the morning. Was planning to take a spin for an hour or so...ended up leaving a little after 8:00 and getting home around 2:00 :lol3 About another 100 miles on the bike today. It doesn't mind the heat at all. About 700 miles total since I finished it and I can't see where it's using any oil. I think this is gonna be a good bike. I reckon I'll mow grass tomorrow...
    Ginger Beard, Dutch_, Bowler and 5 others like this.
  14. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Tag bracket broke again! I really thought the Kydex would hold up, but it only went about 500 miles. I was going up a hill over some pretty rough washboards one day and suddenly heard this horrible RarRarRarRarRarRar sound...my heart sank. It sounded like something in the transmission was eating itself alive. Imagine my relief when I pulled over and just found the rear tire chewing on the tag/bracket where it was lodged in the swingarm :D Surprised the bolt didn't chew the tire up.

[​IMG]

Tag mount v.3. Not exactly surewhat this stuff is. It may be some old conveyor belt material, but I think it's a belt from a bailing machine. Either way, its stiff rubber and I can't see vibration killing it. Doubled it up in the "hinge" area....a real piece of craftsmanship :fpalm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dunno why, but this bike is just damn fun to ride. My other two bikes have been doing a lot of sitting this summer. I'm even jumping on this thing to ride my trails at home vs taking the actual dirt bike :D Honeymoon phase, I reckon. This thing doesn't have much top end pull. I may look into some cams with slightly longer duration. It's such a fun bike I don't mind needlessly spending a little cash on it. I'm in it cheap anyway.

Oh, the RFY shocks. The damping was weak out of the box, but not horrible. Offroad they were pretty cushy, but they would let the rear end get a little too active on open roads that were kinda rough. I've been playing with the nitrogen charge and am surprised how effective such a simple change can be. I'm slowly raising the pressure a bit at a time and it always has positive results. Currently at 150psi and it really firmed up the damping without causing any harshness. The bike will occasionally get a little loose feeling over successive bumps at speed...gonna try another 25psi and see how it feels. I don't think I'll ever have to go inside them. Well, I take that back...they are short on travel and I can bottom them offroad without a lot of effort, but I knew that going in and is totally my fault. So yeah, I may open them up at some time to see if I can coax some more travel out of them, but I really don't have any complaints. I'm actually good at tuning suspension and am kinda picky. For a shock, it's a very nice shock....for a $56 pair of shocks, it the fooking deal of the century!

Gotten pretty used to how it handles now. It's a dream on the road. Super smooth and neutral handling. Brakes are good, but rear pedal leverage is bad. I'll redo that if I'm ever willing to park the thing. COG feels surprisingly low considering I'm 6'2" and can't flat foot the thing anymore. On gravel the front end will feel pretty vague if you carry much speed, so you absolutely HAVE to sit forward on the seat. But if you slide all the way up on the tank the front tire will track like it's on rails and the ass end will swing at a flick of the throttle. It's an absolute hoot :lol3
  15. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    The internet demands vids demonstrating your claims. :deal
    todd900ss and shinyribs like this.
  16. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    The internet demands :lol3
    Well, I don't want, and kindly refuse, to recreate another tag tangled in the rear tire :D

But, funny enough, I did just order a refurbished GoPro the other day! $40 with all sorts of mounting stuff. I'll see what I can do to come up with some trail footage :thumb
    JagLite likes this.
  17. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Soundsgood. Please commence with you riding on the tank throwing it around on some gravel and bottoming it out on the trail.
  18. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I seriously need video editing software ( color grading is awful), so I hope this tides you over for now. :lol3 If there's any doubt that these engines are smooth, just check out the reflection in the solid mounted el cheapo mirrors at speed. Seriously underrated bikes!

p.s.- I didn't pick that thumbnail, but it's perfect! :bow Good choice, Youtube!
    G600, tinwelp, Ginger Beard and 2 others like this.
  19. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    So the XL clutch slipping was getting pretty bad and it has had a small oi leak since day one. Decided to dive in to that and things got complicated, quick! Really didn't want to leave the clutch slipping for long due to no oil filter in this engine.
    [​IMG]

The cam plug would weep a tiny amount. Looked like this about every couple hundred miles. Annoying

[​IMG]

That black cam plug is a stamped steel plug with rubber over-molded. It got installed with a smear of 3bond, so the leak was surprising. Went to pop the head cover off to fix the leak and things went sideways. Damn Honda, no surprise, didn't want you inside this motor so the cover won't come off with the engine in the frame.

Screw that. I'm no purist, so I cut some scallops in some fins so the engine would tip down over the downtube. Can leave the bottom/rear engine mount bolt in this way, so you just pivot the engine around.

[​IMG]

Figured it may come in handy for future repairs. I was right. Resealed the head cover and it leaked worse than before. I believe the cam plug was just dry rotted and the oil was actually seeping through the plug, so I turned one up to use an o-ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, Honda installed a stud in place of what could've been a bolt to further trap the head cover in the frame- forcing you to lift the cover straight up 3" past the stud vs sliding off to the side. Of course, in attempting to remove that stud I ended up snapping it off which lead to drilling it out and a helicoil. Just wanted to seal that little plug and ended up with the head stripped :D
    [​IMG]

Turned up another insert for the muffler. Trying to quieten it down a tad. I think it's obvious what I was shooting for here. Of course, it's not pushed all the way in here.

[​IMG]

The headlight on this thing was surprising bright for a little 6 volt sealed beam, but it was like a spotlight. The beam shone very far, but it didn't spread at all. Wasn't cutting it. Even a buddy mentioned how bright and white the color of the beam was, so I put a meter on it and it showed 12v at idle. Seems like someone put a later model XR stator on here possibly?

Its still AC voltage, but I've got my old LED headlight setup I built for my XR4 that runs off 12v AC (one of those boxes is a dedicated rectifier), so I'm in the process of fitting that to this bike. Been many times I wanted to take it out, but wasn't comfortable being out past dark. So, gotta fix that. It's a lens from a SOHC CB750. The LED doesn't work great in there. You can barely tell the difference between hi and low beam, but it broadcasts light very well and it doesn't seem to blind oncoming traffic, so I'm cool with it.

[​IMG]

Gonna reuse the lower mount I made to fit the XR. It's been banged around pretty hard and it's took any abuse I can throw at it. It's 5052 alloy, so it will bend back after being dropped without cracking. But it attached with 10mm bolts on the other bike. Don't want to drill holes that large in my lower yoke, so turned up some little reducing washers to fit it on with 6mm bolts.
    [​IMG]

Wired up the new headlight and it flickers HARD at idle. That's to be expected, and it flickered on the XR, but this severe flicker makes me wonder if it's abusing the LED. Need to get in touch with Cyclops (they made everything) nd see what they say about it. It's supposed to be good for 9-32 volts. My digital meter shows 11.2 at idle with little variation, but a blip of the throttle shows about 13. Wish I had an analog meter to see the flicker. Shouldn't be a low voltage issue, maybe just a low performance rectifier? I dunno...over my head.

Decided to repair the broken decomp lever. These have been broken on every one of my XR/XL's. I don't know why I enjoy fixing levers like this. Something satisfying about repairing mundane items vs just spending 8 bucks and throwing the old one in the trash. Powdercoat it to match the rest when the light mounts are done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made it a touch shorter than stock. 1 finger length instead of two. Happy with the result, and maybe it won't snap off the next time the bike falls over due to not sticking out so far. :muutt

[​IMG]
    Metal should be here tomorrow to make the rest of the light/speedo/ign switch mount.
    todd900ss, G600, Fast Idle and 6 others like this.
  20. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Made the pattern for the upper mount, which seemed to be mocking me with the "loser" sign.

[​IMG]

Everything ready for powder, but I ran out of steam. Hopefully finish tomorrow evening. I've got a little road trip this weekend that I want to take with this bike.

[​IMG]
    Honda-50, Navin, Marco Moto and 2 others like this.