XL500Scout- Restomod

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by shinyribs, May 12, 2018.

1. 131unlimited

131unlimited Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For all the years I have been here, this by far one of my favorite builds. Great job shinyribs , very glad you are healed up and awesome to see you out on the XL and breathing new life into that beast.
    todd900ss and shinyribs like this.
  2. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man! I really appreciate that! I'm honestly shocked at how many times this sentiment has been shared. Which reminds me....since some of you guys hang out in this builds section, you may have noticed a member by the name of FR700. Well, sadly, he passed away a short while ago. He had a thread titled "(.) (.)" ... I'm not joking :D...go to the last pages of that thread. Some guys are posting up and doing kinda some last words/memories/paying respects there. Just a FYI.

Thanks for the nice words on healing! I still can't feel two fingers... well, I can feel cold things ( feels like running water), but otherwise they're numb and I can't feel hot things. A buddy was trying to unscrew some spark plugs from his Ironhead, but they were too hot to touch. Being a smart aleck, I unscrewed them with my numb fingers and held them out to him. He wouldn't take them. " What the heck, those things are scalding hot!". Nerve damage silver lining! :lol3 Always gotta look for the positive angle :thumb
    Richarde1605 and Navin like this.
  3. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Went with black wrinkle on the light mounts and stuck with semi gloss on the levers.

[​IMG]

Remember that helmet I trashed hitting that deer? This was one of the washers that held the visor on. Held on to them thinking they looked cool, and it made for a nice touch here. Wow, that's a bad picture, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

Wiring is a mess and needs to be worked on to tuck away. No bucket to hide it all in.

[​IMG]

Big light!

[​IMG]

Pic doesn't do it justice, but that tree line is about 300' away and quite visible in reality. Always loved how this setup lit up the sides of the road on the XR. Happy to have it on this bike now.

[​IMG]
  4. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    I had one just like this, including the XR front fender. It was a Good Bike.
    shinyribs and Navin like this.
  5. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Put 200 miles on the bike today. I was out scouting for some new backroads, but no real luck. I'm a creature of habit and couldn't resist riding some of my favorite routes instead. This bike is just fun to ride on any surface. I don't even care if I end up spending all day on pavement. Not a huge fan of this rear tire, but I may be pushing it a bit hard at times. Pretty sure this is the best money I ever spent on a bike.

Riding home in the pitch black and the headlight is a beast! :thumb
    Yeti2ride, Navin and DeepBarney like this.
  6. drmrhonda580

drmrhonda580 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awsome restoration !! Good to see another older XL so beautifully restored, well done.:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    shinyribs likes this.
  7. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Not much new here. Lengthened the kickstand a couple more inches. I'm really not sure how much I lifted this bike, but that makes for 5" of kickstand extension. Other than that...she just keeps on ticking! Fuel range has proven impossible to predict. Mpg stays around 55-65 depending on cruising speed, but range to reserve is somehow totally random. Most annoying part is that the tank holds 2.6 gallons, but I'm lucky to use a gallon before hitting reserve. The trip meter on the speedo likes to reset itself randomly, so that makes determining how much fuel is really left even more nervewrecking. Oh, and definitely needed a bigger foot for the stand.

[​IMG]

Didn't get to ride this bike as much as I thought for various reasons. Only put about 2k miles on it this past summer, but these tires seem to be wearing like iron! Hopefully I can get on this thing more and start wearing out some stuff. Ride safe folks :thumb

[​IMG]
    nuggets, AK650, JagLite and 5 others like this.
  8. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im glad the bike is running great.
    You can cut down the "straw" on the petcock so you get more range before you have to flip to reserve.
    shinyribs likes this.
  9. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I wish I could get the straw out! It seems quite stuck, but the petcock is working good without leaking, so I'm not tempting fate. :D
  10. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    No "epic" ride report, scenic location, life changing journey or even a cool bit of fab work. Just doing the daily grind with Scout today. Building a dining room table and needed to run to the hardware store for more paint. That quart jug is what has the saddlebag stuffed full. I just like looking at this thing :)

IMG_20200301_145818026.jpg

And.... well, what better way to mix up a new can of paint than to hit the woods on the way back?? :D This thing is just a pile of fun.

IMG_20200301_152504029.jpg
  11. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    50/50 tires suck, but this bike is still a hoot! LOTS of false neutrals today kinda has me wondering. Hopefully it's just my clumsy left foot causing the issue. Luggage rack is apparently built tough, though! It took the bark off that tree nicely as we tumbled back down this hill :thumb
    IMG_20200314_091456485.jpg

Figured out why people in town were giving me funny looks, though. Perfect impression of my back armor made me laugh :lol3

Man, I love motorcycles....
    IMG_20200314_111024189.jpg
    AK650, Ginger Beard, Bowler and 6 others like this.
  12. NVTS

NVTS Arrivee Secteur Special Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now, how bout that other project Honda....?
  13. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I had a small medical thing that kinda messed up my finances. My head's back above water now. Hopefully I'll start digging back in to the CB soon.

But with warm weather coming back around it's sometimes hard to stay holed up in the shop!
    AK650 likes this.
  14. skywalker714

skywalker714 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job. Here is my redo of my 82. 7734B4CB-FCE0-4F8E-A918-82693F1A35B9.jpeg
  15. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Looking good,man! Showing off with your fancy Pro-Link :D
  16. skywalker714

Oddometer:
    It also has a dr250 Showa fork and a disk. This thing rocks
  17. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Man, how did I totally miss the new front end? Very nice!

I agree about rocking. These old chassis' are kinda rough, but the engines are great. Never ceases to amaze me how smooth they run at speed. Butter :thumb
    AK650 likes this.
  18. skywalker714

Oddometer:
    The new front end transformed the bike. It handles great. I went thru the whole bike, fortunately I have a Honda wrench for a friend who made the motor sweet. This was my first adventure bike in the 80’s. I paid 900.00 and about that much in parts, then I went to work.
    shinyribs likes this.
  19. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Playing with the RFY shocks lately. They weren't bad, but they definitely weren't great. I knew they had valves with shims inside and was always curious how well you could tune them. So I dug in them lately. Unsurprisingly, they are typical Chinesium inside. All the right ideas are there, but the execution is lazy. The biggest offender was the valve itself.

The valve is cast iron. Which is alright, but the machine work was horrendous. The groove for the valve seal was too deep making it useless and leaving you with the cast iron valve riding the body of the aluminum shaft :fpalm. So I decided to make a new valve.

Stock guts. If you are familiar with shock valving you will see how goofy this is. It's such a small bore ( 1.180") that your porting options are limited, and the 12.5mm shaft doesn't hold standard shim sizes. So I also remachined the shaft to accept standard shims that I have tons of laying around.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

All fixed up now. The new valve and reworked shaft.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The damping was weak with shocks stock out of the box and playing with the nitrogen charge made huge affects on the damping. I thought that was very odd. With the springs removed the damping would completely disappear if you held the shock upside down. Ah, I get it now...the shocks weren't full of fluid, so shoving nitrogen pressure on the shock was effectively just forcing them to somewhat act as an air shock. More assembly laziness, I pulled 80ml of fluid out of each shock. It took 155ml to properly fill them.

The nitrogen fillports were very brittle metal. I cracked one trying to extract the bladder, so I remachined the bladder caps to hold beefy bolt-in Schrader vavles instead.

[​IMG]

Surely will need tuning as I was assembling shim stacks and choosing shock oil weights from the hip, but having properly functioning seals now ( not cast iron dragging aluminum...) and fully filled and bled with fluid has made a marked change in how smooth the things work. I think I went a little aggressive with the 10w fluid....Preliminary test ride was a very nice improvement. LOTS of potential for 50 bucks and a few hours work. :thumb

Beats watching TV!
    Scoozi, oic, Franque and 13 others like this.
  20. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bike looks awsome! Great shock rehab as well, nice job!
    shinyribs likes this.