XL500Scout- Restomod

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by shinyribs, May 12, 2018.

1. 131unlimited

131unlimited Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For all the years I have been here, this by far one of my favorite builds. Great job shinyribs , very glad you are healed up and awesome to see you out on the XL and breathing new life into that beast.
    todd900ss and shinyribs like this.
  2. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man! I really appreciate that! I'm honestly shocked at how many times this sentiment has been shared. Which reminds me....since some of you guys hang out in this builds section, you may have noticed a member by the name of FR700. Well, sadly, he passed away a short while ago. He had a thread titled "(.) (.)" ... I'm not joking :D...go to the last pages of that thread. Some guys are posting up and doing kinda some last words/memories/paying respects there. Just a FYI.

Thanks for the nice words on healing! I still can't feel two fingers... well, I can feel cold things ( feels like running water), but otherwise they're numb and I can't feel hot things. A buddy was trying to unscrew some spark plugs from his Ironhead, but they were too hot to touch. Being a smart aleck, I unscrewed them with my numb fingers and held them out to him. He wouldn't take them. " What the heck, those things are scalding hot!". Nerve damage silver lining! :lol3 Always gotta look for the positive angle :thumb
    Richarde1605 and Navin like this.
  3. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Went with black wrinkle on the light mounts and stuck with semi gloss on the levers.

[​IMG]

Remember that helmet I trashed hitting that deer? This was one of the washers that held the visor on. Held on to them thinking they looked cool, and it made for a nice touch here. Wow, that's a bad picture, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

Wiring is a mess and needs to be worked on to tuck away. No bucket to hide it all in.

[​IMG]

Big light!

[​IMG]

Pic doesn't do it justice, but that tree line is about 300' away and quite visible in reality. Always loved how this setup lit up the sides of the road on the XR. Happy to have it on this bike now.

[​IMG]
  4. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    I had one just like this, including the XR front fender. It was a Good Bike.
    shinyribs and Navin like this.
  5. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Put 200 miles on the bike today. I was out scouting for some new backroads, but no real luck. I'm a creature of habit and couldn't resist riding some of my favorite routes instead. This bike is just fun to ride on any surface. I don't even care if I end up spending all day on pavement. Not a huge fan of this rear tire, but I may be pushing it a bit hard at times. Pretty sure this is the best money I ever spent on a bike.

Riding home in the pitch black and the headlight is a beast! :thumb
    Yeti2ride, Navin and DeepBarney like this.
  6. drmrhonda580

drmrhonda580 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awsome restoration !! Good to see another older XL so beautifully restored, well done.:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    shinyribs likes this.