XL500Scout- Restomod

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by shinyribs, May 12, 2018.

1. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    KTM is broken and fuel Injected Yamaha has a dead battery. Trusty ol XL to the rescue!

IMG_20200718_100758456.jpg

Actually, the XL has been my first choice to ride for several weeks now. Was forcing myself to ride the Yamaha instead this morning just to keep the battery charged. Too late :D
    Navin, Franque, yehaaa6 and 4 others like this.
  2. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Picked up some cheap parts. She'll be getting an upgraded fork and brake soon. :raabia

I know it will "kill the looks" in a way, but I really enjoy riding this bike. And this KLR fork is still garbage. I gave it a fair shake, but I'm not investing good money in to drop in bandaid fixes. Bushings are incredibly expensive for Gen 1 KLR forks for some reason. I got this whole front end for $140. Inckudes a billet top clamp for 1 1/8 bars and a pair of bars. Only missing wheel bearings and a rotor.

46mm Kayaba's from an 03 YZ250 that have been resprung for a big guy. Hopefully the springs are heavy enough. I think the stiffer MX valving makes more sense for a bike that see street use. We'll see!

IMG_20200815_180441099.jpg
  3. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh, cant wait =)
    todd900ss likes this.
  4. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Well, the forks went on easy enough. After some digging around through some old parts and doing some measuring this XR650R stem ended up being a good candidate.

IMG_20200816_143640945.jpg

Every dimension was what I need because Honda never changes anything, except the bottom was fat to accommodate being made from aluminum. It was also too long, but there was just enough extra meat there the get the job done. Machined in a new lower bearings register and had to knurl the tip that presses in the lower yoke because it was ten thou undersized. Knurling brought up more material than expected and actually had to give it a skim back down to size. It all pressed together nicely.
    IMG-20200816-WA0015.jpeg

Even got lucky on the steering stops!
    IMG_20200816_183510755.jpg

Got a few parts to order to whip the brakes back in to fighting shape and need to remount the headlight, but things are looking up :thumb

Yeah, the shop is a mess. Tomorrow's job.

IMG_20200816_200937081.jpg

The YAMAHA lettering doesn't come off. That's where the anodizing has faded and that area was protected by a decal. I dunno if I'll get decals to cover it or what. In person it has a really neat "works" kinda look to it, I'm just not sure I can leave it.
    JagLite, Marco Moto, G600 and 4 others like this.
  5. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just rotate the logo towards the inside/back. No one will notice.
  6. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    That's not nearly complicated enough!
    JagLite, G600, chilejack and 5 others like this.
  7. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    oven cleaner then a polishing wheel?

chuck em in the large and scotch brite em?
    shinyribs likes this.
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see you swapping that engine into a GPX FSE250E eventually. Then reverse engineering that into a twin shock, conventional fork layout...
  9. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Sometimes with building bikes you see cases of putting lipstick on a pig. I can't explain why I enjoy this bike so much. It's one of those things I don't want to drop a lot of money on, but it's also a bike I think is worth improving when the opportunity comes up.
  10. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I considered stripping and re-anodizing them. It's something I would like to learn and experiment with. That may be a winter project later on the next times the forks need servicing. As they are, the faded beat up "patina" matches the rest of the damage on the bike :D
  11. Pressingonward

Pressingonward Looking forward to what is ahead

Oddometer:
    Very cool build!

I'll be following along from here. A coworker just gave me a 1976 XL350 bike-in-a-box, and I'm pretty sure I can steal a few of your ideas when I get around to working on it. My end goal is to keep some of the original vintage enduro look, but upgrade it a bit for riding back roads and gravel. Definitely going to do a front end swap - I'm not feeling the front drum brake :lol2

Got two other bikes in line ahead of that one though. Thanks for your gas tank cleaning write-up - process makes perfect sense and I'll be using it on my VT500FT Ascot.
    shinyribs likes this.
  12. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Thanks man, I appreciate that.

An XL350, an Ascot and two other bikes waiting in the wings ?.... You've definitely got the sickness!
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  13. Pressingonward

Pressingonward Looking forward to what is ahead

Oddometer:
    Don't say that! They'll put me in quarantine for 15 days...oh wait...15 days with nothing to do except keep to myself in my shop...*cough* *cough*

:lol3

To set the record straight, only one other bike besides the XL and the Ascot - a 1988 KDX200. It's just about ready to ride: IMG_20200811_203438257_resize_58.jpg

:photog ok, so maybe it needs a few things put back together. Sadly those are my only bikes...none of which are rideable. Hoping to get some traction on the KDX, then knock out the Ascot quickly - it runs but needs the carbs and front brake rebuilt.

To get back on topic slightly, here's the 76 XL350:

IMG_20200717_192003356_crop_15.jpg

Frame has a bit of rust near the battery box, but not too bad. Have all the rest of it - he parked it for a couple years after moving, a mouse made its home in the airbox, so he took it all apart and got in over his head. Motor needs a reseal but has good compression.
    JagLite, Richarde1605 and shinyribs like this.
  14. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Yup, I think I'd do up the KDX first as well. Never had the chance to ride a KDX 200 or 220, but hear great things about them. Would love to try one out some day.
  15. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Made a lower mount for the headlight. Can't make an upper mount until I figure out which speedo in gonna use. I LOVE the stock speedo and want to use it, but I can't find a speedo drive that will work for me. I know all Honda's use the same ratio speedo, any calibration for tire size was done in the drive. I need a Honda speedo drive from a 21" front bike and a 20mm axle. All the XR's were 17mm. If anyone has a lead on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Anyway, still plugging along. There's quite an assortment of doodads to power up that LED headlight. Pretty pleased with the outcome. 3M dual lock between everything so it can't shift around. 5052 aluminum so it will cold bend without cracking.

IMG_20200818_210434342.jpg
    IMG_20200818_213743870.jpg

IMG_20200817_214423924_HDR.jpg

Billet yoke and fat bars are heavily faded, so they fit the motif :D
    IMG_20200818_215418409.jpg
    JagLite and Bowler like this.
  16. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    I have an XL 350 motor that is excess to my needs. Yours for the price of shipping.
  17. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are good forks, I think you will enjoy them.

Keep up the good work, you're making us all jealous of your machining/fabrication skills! (And tools)
    shinyribs likes this.
  18. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Wow. That is quite a generous offer! This instantly brought to mind a dead project of mine that would be perfect for that engine. I'm not sure if I should say thank you or stay away :D I'll pm you when I get a chance!
    Roadracer_Al and villageidiot like this.
  19. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I've have a couple people tell me I'll need to revalve them, but I'm not so sure. I'm positive they'll be worlds better than what they're replacing!

Thanks for the nice words, but nothing too be jealous of here. A few hand files and some patience with a yard sale scrollsaw can go a long way with a sheet of aluminum :thumb
  20. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Put a kit in the caliper. Powder coated the hub and stuck in new bearings and seals. Pretty sure this YZ front end is the only time I've seen a floating rotor on a dirt bike?

IMG_20200819_180116085.jpg

Interesting brake line routing. I like it.
    IMG_20200819_221014166.jpg

Somewhat concerned with the size of these wheel bearings. They seem a bit small for street use/ prolonged periods at speed? Some quick research says they're good for 19,000 rpm with grease ( 23,000 with oil), though I was more concerned with longevity vs at what speed they explode :D I reckon time will tell...
    received_843517569386026.jpeg

Just painted the rim. Used this paint ( in white) when I redid my dad's XR250 a while back. It's epoxy paint meant for appliances. I was impressed with how is been holding up. And it cures with a nice hard shell vs being gummy like typical spray bomb stuff.

IMG_20200819_174757314_HDR.jpg

Fresh spokes and pads are on the way. Test ride time is getting close :clap