XL500Scout- Restomod

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by shinyribs, May 12, 2018.

1. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize how gnarly this rim was. I knew it was scarred up, but it was seriously wobbly after initially lacing it up. It took the better part of an hour, but I finally got it pulled around pretty good.

By the way, for $45, these Tusk spoke kits are pretty legit. The aluminum nipples have hex sockets which are really handy. I recently ordered custom length spokes from Buchanans to the tune of $230/ two wheels. Quite a different in price, no perceivable difference in quality.

IMG_20200821_155334807_HDR.jpg

Was curious if the bike would look front heavy, but with the lower guards on I am really happy with the look. Anxious for a test ride but am waiting on brake pads to show up

IMG_20200821_171449635.jpg
    Honda-50, JagLite and DeepBarney like this.
  2. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Were you able to buy spokes by length from Tusk?
  3. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    The Tusk spokes for this front wheel were just replacement spokes for an '03 YZ250, not custom length spokes. RMATVMC had them in stock. The custom length spokes from Buchanans were for a XR400 I recently sumo'd. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that.

IMG_20200802_222927440.jpg

received_3123475301105863.jpeg

IMG_20200804_221314282.jpg

Interesting and unforeseen fact: The XL500 with the braced KLR forks and frumpy 50/50 tires will absolutely RAIL a corner compared to the XR on 17's. I did not see that coming.
    scot_douglas and JagLite like this.
  4. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks tough!
    JagLite and shinyribs like this.
  5. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Well, I've officially made money on this front end swap so far. That technically puts the total cost of this bike at about $700 :D Screenshot_20200822-160914.png
  6. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    Savor that. It almost never works out that way.
  7. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks!

I have an Aprilia SXV (SuMo) and I have all the parts to convert it to an RXV (Dual Sport) except for the rear wheel. I measured a CRF rear hub and fout it is exactly right except for the width - an RXV hub is 45mm wider. I figure since I'm a good machinist & welder, I'd just widen the hub and order 6mm longer spokes.

But I can't find the spokes, and was hoping not to spend the $$$ @ Buchannon.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the RXV wheelset on eBay for $500 2 years ago...
    JagLite likes this.
  8. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    You can get cheaper spokes and nipples from Buchanans than what I paid. I always do stainless for both pieces, but you can get plated parts cheaper. IIRC, it was closer to $90 per wheel vs $120.

Do you have an idea on what spoke length you need? Reason I ask is the sumo rims for the XR came with spokes/nipples for an RMZ 450. They're plated but brand new in bags. If the length is right you are welcome to them.
    JagLite likes this.
  9. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Maiden voyage time. Fingers crossed for greatness. And no deer :D

received_2165122646964038.jpeg
    JagLite, Navin and villageidiot like this.
  10. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Yeah, won't be an issues with spring rates with these forks. There's basically zero sag when I get on the bike. Didn't expect that.

There's no doubt they are MX forks. Maybe a tad harsh when deliberately aiming for trail trash, but they handle pot holes and washboards at speed very well. They are far from uncomfortable when plodding, yet worlds better everywhere else. Mission accomplished :thumb

Still haven't figured out a speedo situation. I really do not want to give up the stock speedo. It just looks so good on the bike. I'll figure out something, even if I have to drive it electronically.
  11. cedric

cedric Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can figure out the stock valving from a same time period WR250/450, that would probably suit your needs a lot better.
    shinyribs likes this.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black rims.... Retro Enduro Fanatic influence! :lol3

Looking good!
    shinyribs likes this.
  13. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I dig black rims. Tire lever scars included :thumb

Though looking at the state of the rear rim in that pic you'd never know there was any black under there. I haven't washed this thing once.
  14. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would be interested in seeing the widening of hub process. It would have never registered to me that that was an option.
  15. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    The first thing to do would be to run a test weld bead on the CRF hub.

There are some modern aluminum alloys formulated for die casting -- specifically for high-pressure die casting -- that are high in zinc, and IIRC, silicon which makes them completely unweldable. The goal of the alloy is to make the molten metal flow into the mold better, which allows thinner parts.
    JagLite likes this.
  16. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    Got in a proper test ride today. KLR master cylinder is too big, but they YZ MC didn't have a brake switch. I need an 11mm bore with a brake switch, which a XR250L uses IIRC.

Stopped for gas and saw a dude on a Goldwing checking his tire pressure. Shoot! It dawned on me that I never adjusted the pressure in the front tire after mounting and balancing it. He let me borrow his gauge. 45psi :lol3 Dropped her down to 18 and it's comfy now :thumb

IMG_20200826_193713565.jpg

Even with the dead lever feel the front brake is noticably stronger than the KLR setup, and there's basically zero fork dive unless you really pounce on it. Nice!

The 1.60 YZ rim does pinch the tire up to more of a crown and the bike is a bit less neutral feeling on initial lean in, but the MX valving works beautifully for this bike's mission. Bombing rough paved back roads and washboarded gravel roads vs trail plonking. I'm happy.

The fat bars suck as usual. Vibe city, as always. I miss the skinny bars. And the loud muffler is getting so old. Currently planning things to get the back end of the bike sorted out and hang some new mufflers back there. Not willing to park it any more for this season tho. I love this thing.
  17. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    JagLite, Roadracer_Al and Franque like this.
  18. shinyribs

Oddometer:
    I had bad luck with those on cars years ago. Are the ones used for bikes reliable to activate?
  19. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've never had an issue with them, installed on my old WR426 and never failed for the 10 years I've owned the bike.
    JagLite and shinyribs like this.
  20. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one of these you can have, new in the package, send me an address and I’ll get it out for ya.

It’s for Nissin brakes

ACCD559E-A8E7-4223-9428-CAA44F8B1265.jpeg
    JagLite, shinyribs and Marco Moto like this.