XPLOR event - Bonneville Salt Flats

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by gary5410, Jul 12, 2007.

1. gary5410

gary5410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just registered for the XPLOR event - Bonneville Salt Flats -September 2-6.
    Also signed up for the "Ride Whatya Brung" to make a few passes on the Salt Flats with my GS Adventure.....should be fun! :D
    Check it out on the BMW motorcycle website.
    http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/xplor/index.jsp
    You must have a BMW serial # to register and enter the XPLOR site.

The event is here
    http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2007_event/entry-07.html
    and is open to all.

The XPLOR (BMW) part is going to be in support of a BMW rider riding a K 1200 S turboed going after a speed record.

I attended the 1st XPLOR Event, a dualsport ride in the New Jersey Pine Barrens and had a great time.:lol3
    Gary
  2. gary5410

gary5410 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving for Bonneville Sunday 8/26 from PA. :lol3
    Gary
  3. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    See you there. Group leaving from Sac. Saturday a.m.
  4. bmwnewbie

bmwnewbie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving Calgary tomorrow morning through the US/Canada Border at Eureka, MT down over to Troy then first night Thompson Falls, Montana. Staying at the Rimrock Lodge.

Second night at Hailey Idaho at the Hitchrack Hotel, to expensie in Sun Vally or Ketchum.

Third night staying in Wendover, Utah at the Days Inn. I have registered for the event , howeve could not register for the "Ride Whatya Brung" as I do not have an AMA membership. I'll see what I can do to register when I am there.

From Wendover heading across to Highway 50 over to California and the Highway 49 heading North and then we shall see where our travels take us from there.

Maybe we will see some of you down there. I have an 04 Black/Yellow GSA with black Jesse Bags and will be wearing a black T Shirt and leather pants. lol

bmwnewbie
  5. EVILONE

EVILONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys be sure and do a ride report on your trips!I have been to speed week in 2002,and I cant wait to get back there.Have a good time and be carefull.

EVIL:evil
  6. Sanchez

Sanchez Team Blizted

Oddometer:
    You might want to rethink that getup! It's gonna be hot, hot, hot. I'll see all yous there, be riding a silver k1200r in the run whatya brung. BTW, AMA membership is only 39 bucks, a bargain anyway you look at it.
  7. bmwnewbie

bmwnewbie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got to the flats at 8:00 this morning what a place. Took in all of the sites watched one of the Streamliners Crash, I think it was the Acock Bike (Sp)?
    Driver s OK I think he crashed at apprx. 270

I did not take a run down the North Side (Run What ya Brung) not enough time as their were a ton of riders going down the course.

The salt was soft and a bit damp and it sure accumulated on the bikes, took mine back to the hotel and almost took it aoart to get all of the salt off, as I would like to be able to take parts off in the future as the resulting salt would rust everything.

Off to highway 50 tommorrow to Reno, staying their and then heading north back to Calgary.

bmwnewbie
  8. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. Sanchez

Sanchez Team Blizted

Oddometer:
    It was quite an experience wasn't it? So many people with a passion for motorcycles and speed, at such a legendary place. I had a most dissappointing run due to an engine problem and only got the kr up to 145, but it was really just about getting out on the salt and running WFO anyway.

The salt is much different than any surface I have ever run on and was kind of spooky (and wet!)... Very little traction and there was only a 1 mile run up to the flying mile so some traction managment was required to get up to speed. Then just keep the throttle wide open and enjoy the sensation of the bike drifting and sliding around under you!

Once I got used to the spookiness of that I was able to just relax and have a moment of peace watching the markers zip by as I flew over a white sea of salt, very surreal experience. If you ever have the opportunity you will never forget it...

Eric