1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Xplore2Gether - California to Ushuaia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JimsBeemer, Mar 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    We stored the bikes today - strange feeling to walk away from them knowing we wont see them (for now) in California. We filled up with gas and Ed had some gas stabilizer (THANKS ED!). We also disconnected the ground from both batteries, and covered up the terminal with electrical tape so we don't get accidental re-connection. Not much else we can do - but fresh oil! I wish we could have done that, but it wasn't going to happen.

We are planning to go to the airport tomorrow (Friday) evening (our flight is 5:26 AM Saturday) and spend the night in the airport, because there are rumors that there may be a total quarantine starting midnight Friday, which could mean no taxis available. Sort of waiting to see what the news is tomorrow, but for now that's the plan.

Before disconnecting the battery, I took a picture of the odometer, and found the one from post #2, taken just as we left. We've come a long ways! But the trip isn't over yet :-)

20200319_151332.jpg
    And there they are - along with Eddie's bike. And there they will sit for some time. Our thought right now is that we will come back in January and spend another two or three months riding before shipping back. That assumes a bunch of stuff, but it is the plan at the moment.

20200319_135639.jpg
    My odometer, today, taken after we parked the bikes.
    20190116_140632.jpg
    And this one was taken on January 16, 2019 - that is 21,232 miles in 14 months. And counting! But the count will sit idle for some time to come, unfortunately. Yes - since the start of the trip I have taken to just keeping the bike in Dynamic mode, for those that noticed. Unless we are off road, then I switch to Enduro. Have not touched Enduro Pro because .. I am not (an enduro pro!).
    jowul, 95Monster, KLRalph and 6 others like this.
  2. RidewithAB

RidewithAB Just Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice report mate, hope you get home safe this weekend. cheers...AB
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  3. GoDoMore

GoDoMore life in the fast lane...full speed ahead

Oddometer:
    Been a great report..have enjoyed it
    Best of luck getting out and home safe
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  4. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really have enjoyed your posts! Good luck getting home,
    I look forward to the concluding stories.
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  5. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim, thank you for your trip report and for keeping us all informed. I wish you and Carol a safe trip home this weekend.
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  6. JimsBeemer

Oddometer:
    Looks real! We are checked in and waiting to board our flight to Panama, where I read that the airport may be closing tomorrow (Sunday). We have some trepidation about what we are flying back into, but it will be good to be with family.

Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with the many overland travelers stuck in Latin America. You should read the Panamericana Riders Association and Panamericana Travelers Association Facebook pages to get a glimpse.

Picture shows us wearing the latest in airport fashion! 20200321_033813.jpg
  7. JoeBiker25

JoeBiker25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Safe Travels!!!
  8. JimsBeemer

Oddometer:
    We made it! 28 hours door to door, three flights, but we made it! We are now in Los Angeles, California, where we are staying with our oldest son, Daniel, and his family. That includes three of our eight grandchildren, who where very happy to see us (and especially Carol :-) ), as we were to see them.

We will shelter in place with them for the time being. We are not sure what our short term plans are - but for sure this trip is not over, because we have to return at some point to pick up our motorcycles back in Buenos Aires. Our thought at the moment is to return in January, and then spend two or three months doing some more traveling (including going back north to Bolivia to go to the Salar de Uyuni, which we missed due to the political unrest). But those are very tentative plans that obviously depend in large part on how the current pandemic, and its aftermath, plays out. But we can all hope that the world has steered back towards "normal" enough by then that adventure travel will be viable.

So I'm not considering this trip report "done" yet - just more or less on hold, until we re-start the adventure at that time. As I sort through our photos and notes I may add a post if it seems relevent to the trip thus far, and also will update if/when plans for the second phase change or become more clear.

I really appreciate all the feedback, well wishes, advice and shout outs from the advrider community over the past 14 months (14 months! - wow.) Hope you hang in there and follow along when we continue!

20200322_085403.jpg
    Kyron, AngusMcL, TeeTwo and 21 others like this.
  9. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap

Thank you for taking us along, and keeping us informed!!
    pmmitchell and JimsBeemer like this.
  10. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Super news! Welcome home!
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  11. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent!! Glad you’re back home safe.
    Will await the next chapter.
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  12. danisOTR

danisOTR GO BIG OR GO HOME Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are glad you made it back safely. Enjoy the family.
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  13. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to see you re-united with your family. I am however surprised about how advise and rules are given to travelers returning to their respective countries. Total isolation for 14 days for those returning to their country and even for inter-provincial travel, is the rule in Canada. You never know if you are a carrier. Your future trip continuation certainly promises to be interesting.
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  14. pmmitchell

pmmitchell n00b

Oddometer:
    The best part of any trip/adventure/travel is coming home! Glad you are both safe and healthy.
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  15. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    jim carol thank you for this rr . glad you have made it home ok . now for the next serious ,unprecedented part of your adventure . hope you are able to continue the ride in jan in a safe world
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  16. SoosCreek

SoosCreek Angle of Repose... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you made it home safely. Your trip report was/is very informative to me and I appreciate the effort. I know how much work it is to provide your level of detail. Start planning the trip to get the bikes back!
    JimsBeemer likes this.