XR200R Pit Bike Project

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JagLite, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big wheel uses 16".
    Don
    JagLite likes this.
  2. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a way to start summer in Alaska! :wings
    It was 45 degrees Saturday which means Tee shirt weather outside in the sunshine. :jkam
    No more working on bike projects for a while, time to get the bikes out and get ready to ride. :beer

And have my first crash for the season... :muutt
    I believe in getting the worst over first, then I don't need to worry.

After starting and riding around the block on a couple other bikes I rolled the XR200RM out of the shop, added some gas, and gave it a kick.
    Then another... and another... :becca
    Nothing, nada, zipppp. :baldy

I took a break and did other bike stuff for a while before giving the pitbike another go.
    No success that time either.
    Or the next... :dirtdog

I could pull the plug and check for spark, and that is the next step, but before doing that I decided to bump start it.
    I got it rolling as fast as I could on the flat paved driveway in second gear then jumped on the seat side-saddle and dumped the clutch.
    Skid.... crash! :muutt
    Yep, the engine didn't turn over, the bike left a skid mark 2 feet long then tipped over the high side taking me with it for a tumble.
    I was glad I had my full riding gear on including helmet.
    Not a scratch, bruise, or anything on me but if I hadn't had my helmet on it would have hurt. :2cry

I tell you, this little 200cc engine is the hardest to kick start I have ever ridden. :shog
    My 650 twin Triumph is much easier to kick over than this little guy.
    If it wasn't too far I would take my pit bike to the local HD dealership and ask a few of the locals hanging out if they would help me start my bike.
    Even better would be if I got my wife to do it! :evil
    "Would one of you big, strong men help me? I can't kick my little pit bike over to start the motor..." :sweeti

Heh-heh-heh!
    Then when the 275 lb linebacker tries to kick it over I will have to have my video camera running. :gdog

This thing is a beast to kick over. :baldy
    The auto decompression doesn't work but it is only a little 200!
    I can jump on the kick start with my 200 lbs and it won't even move.
    I get it up to tdc and bring the kicker back up to the top then jump on it...
    Barely turns over once, slowly.

I will check spark next before I wear myself out kicking again to make sure it is able to fire. :thumb

No pictures but it was a glorious weekend here in Alaska.
    One of the earliest breakups on record, about three weeks earlier than usual. :happay

Riding season! :ricky

Action pictures coming soon I promise :beer
    Pezz_gs, AK650 and xr-nut like this.
  3. xr-nut

xr-nut Out Ridin' Around

Oddometer:
    I think you may have used them all in one post!
    JagLite likes this.
  4. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I try to do my best. :wave
    I talk like that in person so maybe a bit of my (weird) personality comes through. :pynd

You can't please everyone so you gotta please yourself...

Here, I'll sing it for you. :strum
    Sing along if you want, I'll even give you the words :robin

FR700 and Pezz_gs like this.
  5. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JagLite said: "One of the earliest breakups on record, about three weeks earlier than usual. :happay"

I hope you're right.

When I was in the USAF I was stationed at Eilson AFB, Fairbanks. My first break-up was full on, and on May 14, 1991 I went to bed excited, because May 15 was the first day 2 wheeled vehicles weren't prohibited (due to weather) on base. I wake up May 15 to TWO FEET OF SNOW on the ground. Because I was young and dumb (now I'm just dumb) I took the old XT350 out anyway. Got around the block, put it up, and went back to bed.

Great job on the pit bike, super cool! That much compression cold, how're you gonna start it hot?!?
    JagLite likes this.
  6. nedc

nedc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don't get that compression release working, you will break your kickstarter idler gear...ask me how I know!
    JagLite likes this.
  7. JagLite

Oddometer:
    A few years ago we had a huge snow dump in JUNE! :yikes
    Heavy, wet snow that was like cement on our steep driveway.
    Even our go-anywhere Subaru Outback couldn't climb the driveway. :pep
    Fortunately it happened on a Friday night so we just stayed home like most people.
    By Monday morning it had melted off enough to get my Miata up the slope and off to work.

We know winter can still hit us hard, but we are heading in the right direction and that makes everything so nice! :wings
  8. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about that last night in fact. :confused
    I will have to see what I can do to make it work without splitting the cases. :becca

A remote electric starter like a drag bike maybe? :hmmmmm
    I've seen trail riders with a chain saw strapped on their rack, maybe a chain saw bike starter? :rofl
  9. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fixed my XR200 starting issue by replacing it with a CRF230F engine !!!

Don
    Fast Idle, Pezz_gs and JagLite like this.
  10. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I like how you think! :ricky
  11. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Take the spark plug out and see if it turns over. Pro Tip: don't have your head (either one of them) in line with the spark plug hole! Your petcock may have failed, filling the crankcases & cylinder with fuel.

Pro Tip part II. If that turns out to be the case, after you drain everything, you MUST get the valve cover off, hose everything down with liberal amounts of oil, the cylinder too, and turn the bastard over BY HAND a couple dozen times to lubricate it prior to startup. The gasoline washes ALL the oil off the cylinder wall, and it's just like starting a fresh rebuild with no oil... disastrous in plain language.

Ask me how I know, part II.
    JagLite likes this.
  12. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Oh, it turns over fine, it is just difficult to kick. :yikes
    I was thinking that maybe it isn't the problem, maybe it is my 64 year old leg? :hmmmmm
    But I have no trouble kicking my 650 Triumph over so that can't be the problem... :dunno

I will pull the plug when I check for spark and I will be turning it over then while I try to figure out what is wrong with the deompressor.
    I have the cable and end links so I will see if I can get it to work.

I didn't reinstall it because I didn't think it was working but I sure don't remember it being this hard to kick over when I rode it last.
    Maybe it does work after all? :scratch
    Hmmm, I do have the parts engine too, I will see if it has the linkage and cable on it.

I am not worried about gas in the cylinder because there has been no gas in the tank until I added it to start the bike. :thumb
    Thanks for the caution warning. Hydrolocking the engine would probably already have done damage. :baldy
    Glad that wasn't the problem. :dirtdog

It has a manual petcock and I had to put it on reserve to fill the fuel filter and carb float bowl because I only put a quart of gas in the tank.
    Roadracer_Al likes this.
  13. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The result of a compression check would be interesting.
    JagLite likes this.
  14. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    That sounds just like my perfectly-running xr200. If I don't bring the kicker all the way back up to engage the decomp, there's no way I can kick it over.
    JagLite likes this.
  15. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Ah! Thank you. :beer
    The voice of experience really counts. :thumb
    It isn't just me... :clap

That would be very interesting indeed, I will ask around and see if anyone I know has a compression gauge. :hmmmmm

Step one for the next shop visit will be to hook up the decompression cable.
    Step two will be to check for spark.
    Step three will be to start the engine.
    Step four: Ride! :ricky
    Pezz_gs, fast1075 and Fast Idle like this.
  16. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never rode an XR-200, but my '75 XL-350 (which never had a decompressor thingie) wooped a lot of people that tried to start it, and it broke 3 or 4 kick starter gears. Wish I had it back even though at 65 years old I most likely couldn't kick it anyway unless I put a stock crank and piston back in it. At 12.5 to 1 compression, with a 10mm Poweroll stroker crank, it was a gorilla.
    Roadracer_Al and JagLite like this.
  17. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Step one: Hook up the decompression cable, done.
    Step two: Check for spark, got it.
    Step three: Check compression... fail

upload_2019-4-6_18-28-13.jpeg

My friend loaned me a really nice compression test kit (thanks Bucky!) but there was no thread adapter small enough for the spark plug hole.

But, I know it has compression, that's the problem! :becca

I tried kicking it with the decompression cable hooked up and it started second kick! :rayof
    Not easy to kick, but much easier than it had been.
    Part of the problem is my bigger foot pegs, I have to kick with my toes or my boot will catch the foot peg.
    Maybe stretching the kicker a couple inches will help... hmmmm... :hmmmmm

Runs great, stops, shifts, and does what it should.
    I need to fine tune the carb and take it to the dirt for some play riding. :rayof

More pictures, out of the shop for the first time in a couple years:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I rode it to the end of our street and back several times to warm it up.
    I need to bed in the new brake pads and adjust the carb a bit to get rid of the off idle bog but it runs great at idle and once above 1/8 throttle.
    And check every nut and bolt. :nod

I also need to make a heat shield for the decompression cable since it is tight against the pipe, which is why the rubber cover on the cable housing was melted away...
    I cut a 2" piece of header wrap that I will wire around the cable.

I'm looking forward to trail riding my new little play bike. :ricky
    FR700 and Pezz_gs like this.
  18. cedric

cedric Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the small wheels it sort of looks like it has more suspension travel than ground clearance. Will it bottom out before the skid plate hits the ground?
  19. JagLite

Oddometer:
    That's what the skid plate is for... :evil
    I won't be riding it hard enough to bottom out the suspension. :ricky
    I will have to measure the clearance at full compression now that you ask. :scratch
  20. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes a stretched out spring makes a good heat shield. It keeps the innerds away from the pipe and lets air flow around it.

Don
    fast1075, JagLite and NoelJ like this.