XR200R Pit Bike Project

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JagLite, Jan 2, 2017.

1. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is probably not related, but it is a cool story. In 1972, fresh out of high school, I landed my dream job: Work at the local Honda shop. One of my duties was to uncrate, set up, and service new bikes.

Z-50 was a hot model. The ones with legal road gear and street legal in Florida. I put one together, serviced it, added gas...…...and it wouldn't start. No Spark. I disconnected the kill wire. Checked everything, no joy. Owner's son, a very capable mechanic said "Let me show you how it is done". He changed out every single part of the ignition system, TWICE. No spark. Parked the bike in the corner for until the territory service rep showed up for his once a month visit.

Rep shows up. We put the bike on the service bench. Rep wanted an impact and a hammer. Took off the left cover, pulled the flywheel, Took out the two countersunk retainer screws that hold the ignition plate in place, Walked over to the bench grinder and wire brushed the crap out of the BACK of the two screws. Put everything back together, and it fired on the first kick. Bad ground because the screws had a problem with the plating. After brushing the plating off, they worked fine. True story.

I had an XL-350 that failed two factory ignition coils. I installed a 6 volt Volkswagen coil, and it worked great. Had the bike for 10 more years before I sold it.
  2. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Was the frame powder coated?

If so every ground point could still have residue on them, Battery negative goes to engine or frame? (Has it got a battery??)
    The mating surface and the threads need to be clean metal.
    Engine to frame mounting points need to be clean metal.
    Also where the coil bolts to the frame has to be clean metal and threads.
    Sorry if this has already been suggested!
    Quick test.... take a jumper lead from engine to coil body/bolt, batt neg etc to see if any improvement.
    (edit...coil grounds via frame and engine grounds to frame so they both need good grounds!)
    Cheers
    Dave
    JagLite likes this.
  3. wolfcreek rider

wolfcreek rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s not uncommon for the Stator or pulse generator to stop working when they get hot and check out ok when cooled off. It’s frustrating at times. I’m still sorting my son’s 88 xr600r and have swapped all ignition parts with my running bike except the stator. Going to buy a new stator. Good luck. I’ll be following.
    JagLite likes this.
  4. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the support and suggestions one and all. :beer
    Yes, the frame is powder coated so I had hoped it was a ground problem but when I tested for resistance from engine to frame ground point it was 0.00.
    No problem at all, excellent grounding.

I rechecked the resistance of the plug cap, 5k was in spec.
    Everything appeared to be as it should be so I reinstalled the tank and seat.

I rolled the bike off the lift and took it outside to see if it would start.
    I thought if I can get it started I will probably be able to see if the new jets help the off idle bog and lousy idle and choke issues (I had to keep revving the engine to keep it from dying).

:hide

First kick and running like new!

:eek2
    The genuine Kehin pilot jet was what it needed and that wimpy spark had no trouble lighting the fire in the hole. :wings
    Amazing, but it is a Honda, right? :rayof

I was shocked and very happy it fired right up and ran on full choke for a couple minutes while I put my helmet on, then half choke for a minute, and finally no choke and idling perfectly, revving up with no bog, and sounding great.
    I rode it up and down the street three times and the engine is running much better than it did when I bought it.
    It started raining so I didn't go riding today, maybe tomorrow? :ricky

I will see if the engine has ignition problems when it gets hot but so far it is excellent and I am stoked. :thumb

Problem solved? I don't know for sure but it did start right up and runs better than ever so I am hopeful there is no more problem, time will tell. :jkam
    dbarale, Pezz_gs, nuggets and 4 others like this.
  5. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    When you were checking the spark looking at the tip of the plug it may have been sparking behind the plug where you had the body touching the engine?

Any hoo who cares, it's going!:clap
    JagLite likes this.
  6. wolfcreek rider

wolfcreek rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great! A fairly easy fix actually.
    JagLite likes this.
  7. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Another good ride on the pitbike on some fun trails.
    The chain derailed when my brother hit a root with the chain guide while he was riding the bike.
    Fortunately it did no damage to the engine even though the chain was bunched up around the counter shaft sprocket.
    I was able to get the chain out of the engine and by starting the chain on the top of the rear sprocket and rolling the bike backwards the chain was back in place and we headed back to the car to adjust the chain tension.
    It is a new chain and a budget chain so I expect initial stretch as it settles in.

Back at the car I saw what happened to the chain guide:

upload_2019-5-30_7-38-29.jpeg

The forward bolt ripped the forward hole in the mounting tab on the swingarm.
    Ah, well, time to design a stronger chain guide!

I loosened the bolt and rotated the guide back up and tightened the bolt again.
    Then we went for another hour ride. :ricky

upload_2019-5-30_7-42-15.jpeg

Running great and it is so cushy to ride thanks to the shock @NC Rick (Cogent Dynamics) made for the bike.
    Thanks Rick! :beer

It was a great comparison with the stock TW200 as we traded back and forth several times.
    The TW is easy to ride, slow and steady, but you have to stand up to absorb larger bumps, ruts, roots, and rocks.
    The XRM can roll over the same obstacles at the same speed without any need to stand up, and it can easily go faster over the terrain that forces the rider on the TW to slow down.

The motor is much stronger on the Honda too but I expected that.
    The bike feels so much lighter than the TW too.

Another set of wheels from the "Big Wheel" RM 85 (19" front, 16" rear) would be neat to try too so I checked out Ebay last night. :hmmmmm

We're going riding today with the XRM and my DR 650 scrambler...
    That's going to an interesting comparison.
    Results to follow. :ricky

Both bikes (TW & Honda) are great fun but the Honda isn't street legal... yet? :hmmmmm
    Navin, 79thunder and NC Rick like this.
  8. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words! I’ll admit to a bit of luck on the setup since there was some “guesstimation” involved.

Aside from the chain thing, it sounds like it was a good day out!
    JagLite likes this.
  9. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Another fine day for riding!
    As long as you don't mind riding in the rain that is.

We took the DR Scrambler and the XRM to the local mx track and had a good day with only one tip-over and one minor crash.

Clean bikes unloaded:

upload_2019-5-30_17-41-22.jpeg

There were only two other riders at the track but there was a Police car there:

upload_2019-5-30_17-44-0.jpeg

Wonder why he is here... let's go see:

upload_2019-5-30_17-49-36.jpeg

Huh?
    Why is there a car on the track??

A closer inspection revealed both front airbags were blown and the front fascia was torn off with pieces of it on the top of the table-top jump behind the car.
    And there was a divot on the table top where the car had nosed in.
    Stolen of course, but the officer said it hadn't been reported stolen yet.

Hmmm, no plates.
    Of course not because it is NEW!
    It has the paper temporary number in the rear window.
    And.... It is a Mercedes (E30 I think).

Talking with the officer he said he would bet money that "Mom and Dad" are out of town and "junior" borrowed Mom's new car to take friends for a ride.
    Then, as is often the case, the boys dared him to do various stupid things until they ended up at the mx track and finally the jump.
    The officer said it is likely that junior has two black eyes from the airbag that he will have fun trying to convince Mom & Dad that he fell or walked into a door.
    No, he didn't notice Mom's car was missing until the Police stopped by the house... Must have been stolen!

It happens more often than most people would guess the officer said.

With that excitement we started the bikes and headed out on the track in the rain.

Last time the bikes were clean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued...
    Navin, 79thunder, NC Rick and 2 others like this.
  10. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Testing
    Video testing...

FAIL! :becca

Hummmm, I would think we would be able to embed videos from Smugmug but that is not the case. :dirtdog
  11. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Testing round 2, using YouTube:

Let me know if you can watch the video, all 15 seconds of it :wave
    Navin, Honda-50 and NoelJ like this.
  12. JagLite

Oddometer:
    So, we had fun riding with minor incidents that always happen. :dunno

After being very careful to load everything up I forgot to check the gas in the DR Scram even though I filled the XRM... Figures. :baldy
    But, I brought along the handy fuel siphon I bought from Pro/cycle a while back and had not even taken out of the package.
    I put the XRM on the trailer and parked the DR Scram next to it to get a good elevation difference.
    After quite a bit of up & down with the hose end in the full tank it finally started flowing well and I put a gallon or so in the yellow bike.

We traded bikes back and forth and raced around... at turtle speed. :ricky :ricky

Yep, the pitbike needs stiffer springs in the forks. :nod
    I could bottom the forks on the ramp of the jumps, forget about actually jumping. :yikes
    And they bottom out going over hard pack ruts too.
    No surprise there, eh Einstein?
    I'm sure the forks need to be re-valved for my weight too.
    (is re-valved a word?)

As they are now, the forks sag about half travel just sitting still so when riding and decelerating for a turn, the rake gets really steep and the front end is quite squirrely.
    Fine at low speed but a bit quick as you speed up.
    But the mx track isn't what I built it for so it isn't the best test ground perhaps. :loco
    We hope to go trail riding tomorrow if the weather will cooperate. :confused

Next week I go back to work before I get too comfortable NOT going to work. :hide

I rode many laps on both bikes and took three breaks to recover between laps.
    My brother tipped over in the pits when he kick started the pitbike... with the kickstand down.
    The suspension settled when he kicked which stuck the side stand into the ground and pushed the bike over with his foot still on the kicker.
    How embarrassing! Fortunately the few people there were all looking at the track, not at him.

And I managed to stuff the front end of the scrambler DR in the soft dirt at the end of a high berm corner.
    I think I was looking down at the front wheel in the soft stuff instead of looking where I wanted to go.
    If I had been looking ahead I would have been hard on the gas with little weight on the front wheel.
    But I was looking down and watched the front tire turn in and slide out then catch in the deep soft dirt and highside with me going over the bars and smacking my helmet a good one on the ground.

The only damage is a slightly bent clutch lever, tweaked forks and more dirt in my riding gear.
    I rode back to the car, stopped, straddled the front wheel and twisted the forks back straight.

After more riding we loaded up and drove home, unloaded and then I rinsed the mud and dirt off the bikes, in the rain, because I find it easier to do when I get home than waiting for another day.
    I wouldn't really call it "washing" the bikes, just hosing them off before the mud and dirt hardens up.

And here are the mostly clean bikes at the end of the day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clean enough for me and no bucket, cleaning cloth, or scrubber required.
    They aren't show bikes, they're dirt bikes! :thumb
    Ready to ride :ricky :ricky
    Navin, Pezz_gs, 79thunder and 6 others like this.
  13. tobiism

tobiism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome bikes! I'm planning to pick up a 110cc pit bike to teach my kids and wife to ride.
    JagLite likes this.
  14. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I think everyone should learn to ride on a small pit bike that is low, slow, and very light.
    An auto clutch with foot shift can help make learning easier too.
    Learn how to ride on something easy and fun, and off-road so there is no worry about cars.
    Also learning off road teaches about various traction surfaces, and that it is okay to let the wheels wander around some.
    Once we learn how much fun simple, slow trail riding is, transitioning to street riding is just learning how to expect drivers to do stupid and dangerous things and how to anticipate and plan what action to take if/when another driver does a dummy.

Make it fun and they will be much more likely to enjoy it and want to go riding with you.
    Far too many try to learn on bikes that are too heavy, too big, too powerful, and far too dangerous to learn on.
    Actually it is the friends who tell the prospective rider that they "need" a bigger bike to learn on or they will get bored with a small bike.
    Navin, Bt10, AK650 and 1 other person like this.
  15. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I measured the seat height today since I didn't know...

upload_2019-6-2_14-3-35.jpeg

I think the rider sag is 3" with me sitting on it.
    Navin likes this.