XR200R Pit Bike Project

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JagLite, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    Will a drill bit grab the housing from its inside? I'd try that by hand, without powering the bit.
    JagLite likes this.
  2. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the carb top cap came with the throttle cable.
    Seem to remember the last ones I got came that way.
    Could be why you couldn't get the cable out of the top....
  3. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, it doesn't look like it is attached in the parts fiche.
    And a new cap didn't come with my new (non-OEM) cable.
    I will get the old one off one way or another, I just didn't want to break it if I was missing some trick to remove it.
  4. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah I've been looking for a couple years, one came up and before I called on it it was sold. I saw one last week but it was a runner and he wanted 1700 for it. I could bend the frame back its just the subframe thats bent, may be what I do for now. I got one ride in with the new suspension and tires and sprockets and chain.
    Then again an XL250 frame with a title would be cool as well, hmmmm.
    your project is looking great!
    JagLite likes this.
  5. JagLite

Oddometer:
    More fun in the shop after work last night, 2 whole hours! :rayof

Unfortunately, I spent one hour just getting the old throttle cable ferrule out of the carb cap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It had a little snap ring holding it in place but I didn't discover that until I had drilled and ground away until there was nothing left.

The new cable slipped right in place and has a groove for the snap ring. I think I will use an o-ring instead.

My new lever assemblies arrived and they are beautiful. :clap

[​IMG]

Still waiting for my brake lines to arrive, then I will find out if the front master cylinder works as good as it looks...
    The levers only took a week to get here, that's quick!

I need to order hand guards too and get them on the way.
    ProCycle is by far the fastest shipper, but they don't have parts for my old XR200R unfortunately.

I installed the throttle, levers, and grips so my "end of day" picture:

[​IMG]

What a messy background! I don't notice until I see the picture.
    I need to clean up my shop! :dirtdog
  6. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Ha. You and me both.
  7. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are spending all of your time cleaning up, you don't have time to get it dirty !!!!!!!!!!

Don
    JagLite likes this.
  8. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I spent a couple hours polishing the swingarm better:

[​IMG]

Then I sprayed on 3 coats of clear:

[​IMG]

Which killed some of the shine of course.

Worse is that there are a couple sags in the paint.
    It is very difficult to tell how thick the paint is when it is clear on polished metal I guess.
    Oh, well, everything is fixable, and it is not a show bike after all.
    Te Hopo, sparkingdogg and Bananapete like this.
  9. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    getting close!
    JagLite likes this.
  10. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Awesome project Jag. Kind of a reverse MiniPit. :thumb

I have an XL185 motor and thought about putting that into a mini, I still might.
    Following this thread for ideas and guidance if I do. :beer

Sean :D
    JagLite likes this.
  11. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Last night I sanded the clear off the swingarm and started buffing it out again.

This morning I watched more videos on polishing aluminum so I am going to try a faster speed on my drill.

After work I stopped by the store to pick up white pigment to mix in the epoxy for the frame guards I will make.

Then I fiberglassed a shell on the ugly plastic gas tank using a different technique than I used on the shell I made on my DR.
    First difference was to fill the tank with water.
    The DR tank I did empty and the glass cracked in a couple places after I filled it and went for a ride.
    Second, I cut the glass cloth in smaller pieces and laid it on like paper mache with the pieces overlapping and running in various directions.
    Third, I mixed the white tint into the resin before adding the hardener.
    Fourth, I made the shell much thicker so that it wouldn't crack around the edges and cap.

All looking good (and hideous) until this morning when I woke up and remembered the tank shell is supposed to be BLACK, not white.
    ARGH!!! :becca

Oh, well, it is all getting covered with epoxy filler to fair it out smooth so I will mix my black tint in the filler.
    One good thing about the white is that it will be obvious when I have sanded through the filler.

I am glassing the tank so that I can paint it, just for appearance, it doesn't leak.

My new brake hoses arrived and they look excellent.
    My used brake caliper bought on Ebay arrived and it is in better condition than my good front one.
    I ended up buying another front brake caliper of the same year (02) so that I will hopefully remember what pads I need.
    I will make my own caliper mount to install it on the rear.
  12. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Pictures of the mummy wrapped tank progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sanded it after cleaning it just to get the worst of the stuff off.
    The epoxy won't stick well to the plastic so it isn't really necessary to clean the tank, I just make more work for myself...

Then I cut the cloth into pieces to have them ready to go:

[​IMG]

One side with the patchwork of glass on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other side done:

[​IMG]

That was yesterday and it hardened overnight so today I went over the shell with my sander to knock off the worst of the bumps, lumps, and edges:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I mixed up the epoxy filler and added the black pigment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now it sits to harden up. Hopefully I will have some time tomorrow to sand it down and add the second coat of filler.

After working on the tank shell I worked on polishing the swingarm some more.
    I switched from using my cordless drill to using my corded drill that spins at 2,500 rpm.
    It works much better than the slower (1,500 rpm?) battery drill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still not great but I'm calling it good.

My new bike lift arrived yesterday and it is so neat!
    I need to get two more so that I have one on each build table.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got it on Amazon with free shipping to Alaska even! And it is fairly heavy so shipping would have been a killer on it.
    LINKY

[​IMG]

A very handy tool to have in the shop.
    Highly recommended!
    sparkingdogg and GR0NK like this.
  13. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Second coat of filler on the tank after a quick sand of the first layer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put the electric heater near it because the filler is taking a long time to harden.
    I cranked the shop heater up to 80... but it could only get the temperature to 73.
    I also built a temporary box around the tank and heater to trap heat.
    The water inside the tank is probably slowing down the epoxy too so I will drain it out since I don't need it to hold the tanks shape any more.

And my last front fender arrived so I now have 4 to choose from (the one sitting on the front tire):

[​IMG]

Actually, only 3 are now in the running since the 4th is for a CRF50 and it is just too tiny.
    The one taped to the bottom triple clamp is for a 17" front wheel, the new black and white fender is for a 19" wheel.
    I will play with the fenders some and take pictures with each one in place once the tank and seat are on.
    But it is really just between the two in the picture, I like the size of the little one, and I like the black and white of the newest fender to go with the black tank and white frame.

Other views with the swingarm and rear wheel in place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also made a list of things to do on the bike still and it is fairly long... :yikes
  14. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its amazing how many little things a bike build takes. tons of hours in them. that's part of what makes riding them afterwards so satisfying. I am at a standstill on my bbr waiting on the swingarm. I have other things I can do but I lost momentum waiting on the swingarm. when I get than thing back I am sure I will get in a hurry trying o get it done.
    Roadracer_Al and JagLite like this.
  15. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I spent more hours working on the fiberglass wrapped gas tank sanding and filling, sanding and filling... and installed/bled the new front brake.
    Works great!

[​IMG]

I put the spare gas tank from my parts bike on it just so that it would look like I'm making progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to order another rear brake hose since these hoses are so stiff they won't make the tight radius I had planned to use.
    I did stick on my new fluid reservoir though...

[​IMG]

Ordered a part for my bench top lathe and when it gets here I can start making the rear axle spacers and caliper mount/anchor.

Then the exhaust midpipe and muffler...
  16. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Impressive!
    JagLite likes this.
  17. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Another piece arrived in the mail from my favorite online store, Amazon: :wings

The headlight. I can see now!
    [​IMG]

A bike without a headlight or number plate just looks wrong to me. :(
    One more step closer to being finished. :ricky

I sanded the latest layer of filler on the gas tank, then shot the first coat of primer on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the paint dried I sanded it down again and put on more filler for the small holes and scratches.
    Tomorrow will be more of the same, sand (400 grit) and primer, then probably some more small spots of filler.
    Getting very close to final paint though, finally.

The tank will be gloss black to match the front fender, headlight shroud, air box, and after I paint it, the rear fender.

I will also have the red tank, fenders and seat to switch out if I want a change.

I had hoped to have my lathe up and running to start on the axle spacers and caliper mount but the parts I ordered and waited for all week won't fit my machine so I am going to have to make my own apparently.
    ARGH! :baldy

But I'm not sitting around with nothing to do, I also worked on the Rickman oil supply lines and filters today.

You may have noticed in the pictures that now that I am done with the really heavy and messy sanding of the gas tank, I put the cover over my Drifter to keep all the sanding dust off of it. Duh! Why didn't I think of that when I started sanding! :becca
    I got covers for all my bikes specifically to protect them when I was making a mess.
    sparkingdogg and Fast Idle like this.
  18. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I called it "good enough for who it's for" (me) and sprayed the black last night:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will let the base coat dry today and if all goes well, tomorrow I will spray the clear top coat.
    I am using Spray Max (spray cans - $20 each!) since I have had excellent results with it.
    The 2K (2 part) clear coat is excellent for fuel tanks because it isn't affected by gas.

Waiting on parts for my lathe....
    NC Rick and sparkingdogg like this.
  19. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks pretty good!
  20. JagLite

Oddometer:
    The clear coat turned out nicely, so nice I probably won't buff it out. :jkam

It's a dirt bike right! :ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear fender however is pretty rough so I will continue to look for a rear fender I like, that is the right size and can be made to fit.
    New seat will probably be next on the list, along with welding up a new midpipe and making a muffler.
    On rainy days that is, the sun is shining, the snow is melting, and I was able to actually ride one of my bikes in APRIL!
    That's a first for me. Usually mid May is the earliest and some years not until June.
    Summers are for riding!
    Winters are for working in the shop on my projects.