XR200R Pit Bike Project

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JagLite, Jan 2, 2017.

1. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am reorganizing my shop to make room for my car to fit in and be worked on this winter.
    While I had the Pit Bike off the build table I put it on the scale and weighed it.
    Keeping in mind it has no gas or chain on it which will add a few pounds.

It weighs in at 190 lbs. :thumb

Oh, no skid plate either so that will add a few pounds more too.
    But all up without gas it should be right about 200 lbs. :ricky
    Rolling it around the shop it really does feel like a bicycle compared to the other bikes. :rayof

The Drifter felt like a 2 wheel tank and getting it up on the HF lift was a real job.
    It weighs somewhere around 750 lbs and it feels like it. :becca
  2. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Now you need some fat tyres for it @JagLite :1drink

You know you want too . . . . .

[​IMG]

3. JagLite

Oddometer:
    The 200 engine doesn't have enough power to be a good Big Wheel. :dirtdog
    I do have a few engines that will be much better for my BW project though. :evil
    I bought the swingarm and rear wheel for a BW last year for a future project...
    Pezz_gs and Fast Idle like this.
  4. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    I also bought a BW200 swingarm from an inmate here...
    I will make my own spindle and run an alloy quad wheels...
    I will need the measurements of the BW200 spindle and spacers one day…
    JagLite likes this.
  5. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Bump for updates?
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  6. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I have spent the winter working on my Miata doing rust repair, new suspension bushings, water pump, timing belt, brakes, etc.
    I finally pulled it out of the shop yesterday...

I hate working on cars!
    Everything is so awkward to reach, requires dozens of trips under the car then out to get another tool, then back under...

I love my motorcycle build table easy access and the simplicity of working on bikes.

I hope to get back to bike projects next week and the pit bike is at the top of the list because I want to ride it asap!
  7. JagLite

Oddometer:
    A rainy day so instead of riding I started on the brake caliper mount.
    First step was to use my CAD experience to make a 3D template that I transferred to a piece of 1/2" MDF.

Hmmm, no picture of my Cardboard Assisted Design, I must have forgot to shoot it.

Here is the MDF version:

upload_2018-7-30_12-54-22.png

upload_2018-7-30_12-55-11.png

upload_2018-7-30_12-59-37.png

I left the MDF oversize for now, once I add the brake stay block that will slide in the anchor channel I will trim away unneeded material, then transfer it to aluminum plate to make the real one.

I plan to drill for a press in steel spacer to fit the bearing seal and take the compression load of the axle bolt instead of the aluminum but that may change depending on what drill size I can locate.

The caliper mount and the sprocket spacer are all I need to finish the bike and go riding. :jkam

But it is nice and sunny now and I just can't work in the shop when I could be riding. :ricky
    (I'm at lunch from work so it may be raining by the time I get off work...)
  8. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    The aluminum should be fine. It is clamped when the axel is tight. Or float the bracket with the steel spacer and torque pin.

Don
    JagLite likes this.
  9. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I'm back in the shop now so progress will resume.
    Big changes in life this summer for us.
    We went from no children for 33 years to having twins.

Sort of, we moved my parents (87 & 88) up here from Maui to live with us since they can't live alone anymore.
    We call them the twins since they came together. :D

We remodeled the house to make an apartment for them and have spent most of the summer getting them settled in.
    All is going well and everyone is happy and adjusting to the new life. :jkam

My riding was very limited this summer unfortunately and now winter is rapidly approaching.

But I can finally get back to my projects in the shop after work a couple nights each week.

I cut the new caliper mount out of some 1/4" aluminum plate I have:

[​IMG]

I used my sabre saw to rough cut to shape and then used my grinder to trim to the lines.

Then drilled the caliper mount holes:

[​IMG]

Next I drilled the hole for the axle and mounted it on the bike.

To figure the length of the spacers needed to locate the wheel in line with the front wheel I needed to get the wheels centered.
    After thinking of various ways I could do it I decided to clamp a piece of angle iron on each side of the front wheel with the rear wheel off the table so that it could float side to side to self center:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That worked well so I could measure the spacer length needed to locate the caliper mounting bracket in the correct position for the brake pads to just clear the rotor and how long the spacer on the sprocket side needed to be to center the wheel. That gave me the dimension for the spacer between the caliper mount plate and the swingarm.

[​IMG]

When the three spacers were ready I bolted the wheel on with each piece in place and all looked good so far.

Next was to make the tab that would slide into the anchor channel on the swingarm for the caliper mount.
    I don't have any 1/2" aluminum so I decided to use what I have on hand which happens to be the 1/4" plate.
    I cut two small pieces oversize and glued them together with Gorilla glue

[​IMG]

That's them next to the little bottle of glue.
    After the glue dried I ground the piece to finish size with my angle grinder and finally with a file.

[​IMG]

Several trial fittings until it was just right in the channel:

[​IMG]

In that picture the caliper bracket is rotated down out of the way, it ended up like this:

[​IMG]

Once everything was fitting good I cleaned the aluminum and used more Gorilla glue and clamps to locate the tab on the bracket plate:

[​IMG]

Before you post that I am crazy to think glue will hold it together... :hide

I used the glue to hold the pieces in the correct place for assembly.
    I will drill and tap the holes for countersunk bolts to go through the plate into the tab to hold it together permanently.
    Trying to drill the bolt holes to get the location and angle of the tab on the plate would be impossible for me.
    Now I can easily drill and tap the holes without the pieces moving.

When that is bolted up I will do the final cutting, drilling, and grinding on the bracket to get rid of excess metal for a clean and light look.
    Hopefully tomorrow...

I am waiting for my new rear sprocket to arrive so that I can make the offset spacer block (sprocket carrier?) to move the sprocket out about 3/4" to line up with the engine sprocket.
    It will be made the same way as the caliper mount out of 3 pieces of 1/4" plate glued and bolted together.

[​IMG]

Cut with a sabre saw and shaped with a grinder.

Only the finest machining tools for me!
    The finest I can afford anyway. :dunno

They will end up just being rings about 1" wide to bolt to the wheel and sprocket.

I am thinking of drilling a bolt hole in the center to run a bolt through with a nut to hold it in my mini lathe to get a nice round cut on the inside of the ring that would be very difficult to shape with my grinder. I haven't cut a ring like that on a lathe where the ring would be cut free but captured on the lathe until I can stop it. :hmmmmm
    Proceed very slowly and carefully I think. :fpalm

It is nice to get back to my projects again :thumb
    dbarale, invisa-bill, nuggets and 3 others like this.
  10. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    :thumb

JagLite likes this.
  11. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like maybe you need to Google up "trepan tool" or "trepanning" on a lathe. Good look; bike is looking good!
    JagLite likes this.
  12. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Excellent!
    I read up on trepanning and found this picture under "face parting" and it is what I will be making:

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help :beer
    nuggets likes this.
  13. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    JagLite likes this.
  14. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Well....

[​IMG]

FAIL :muutt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So much for my idea to glue the plates. :dirtdog
    Or maybe Gorilla Glue, The Strongest Glue On The Planet, isn't. :(
    It did hold long enough for me to drill the two end holes and the third hole through the small tab plates and touching the anchor plate.
    That allowed me to bolt them together to finish drilling the third hole and the fourth hole through. :thumb
    I didn't have any bolts that fit tight so I used a transfer punch to line up the holes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything worked out and I was able to thread the holes and install the screws. :nod

Then I cut off some excess material and did a quick cleanup grind:

[​IMG]

Check the fit again:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tab slides easily in the swingarm channel and lines up as it should. :wings

Next will be some more finish work for appearance and call it good.
    I could probably remove a lot more of the aluminum plate since there will be little loading on the rear brake on this bike, on the other hand it won't make any difference to speak of for weight reduction... :hmmmmm

My sprocket is supposed to arrive Thursday so I can get started on that soon.
    There is a small chance that I will get to ride it this year before the snow arrives. :hide

There is snow on the mountains nearby so it will be here soon. :fpalm

I hope to get in a few more rides before winterizing my bikes.
    Pezz_gs, nuggets and Fast Idle like this.
  15. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the round part - If you've got a hole saw it'd make a good starting point - open your lathe jaws out into the hole, turn the OD, reverse the chuck grip to the now-to-size OD (by reversing the jaws), and finish the ID with a boring bar. Grinding a trepanning tool is a little tedious!
    JagLite likes this.
  16. Foxed101

Foxed101 Monkeywrench

Oddometer:
    The monkey juice may not be the best sticker, but it did the trick:gdog

Cringed a little at the sight of the Phillips screws. What a pain those will be if you ever need to loosen them:eek7
    Then realised they aren’t intended to ever come loose:doh
    Phillips-fobia for ya:pope

Hope you’ll swing a leg over it before first snow :beer
    JagLite likes this.
  17. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I was able to do a bit of work on the sprocket carrier Saturday:

[​IMG]

I need 3/4" thickness between the wheel hub mounting surface and the inside of the new sprocket.
    I am using the original worn out aluminum sprocket as a mast for the two pieces of 1/4" aluminum.
    First I cut out the bolt part of the old sprocket.

Then I copied by tracing on some scrap sheet aluminum I have on hand:

[​IMG]

(I used transfer punches to get the centers of the bolt holes)

After several hours of filing I ended up with this:

[​IMG]

Hah! :imaposer :jack

Just kidding. :D

I used several power tools to shape the aluminum plates as best I can:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I drilled a hole in the center of the plates and put it on the spinner:

[​IMG]

I bolted the original sprocket center on the front of the plate to see how it might work...

[​IMG]

It works! Well, sort of.
    :hide
    I need to grind a proper tool bit to do the actual cutting but so far it looks like it will work out as planned. :fpalm
    Hopefully I will be able to spend some time in the shop again later this week. :jkam
  18. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I was able to spend a couple hours in the shop last night and finished cutting the spacer plates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was just a thin area to file off and they are good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will do a little more filing just to even up the three spacers before (or after maybe) bolting them together.

Then on to the next part of the project.
  19. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Two steps forward and one step backwards....

I finished the sprocket carrier and installed the new sprocket with temporary bolts (new flat head socket bolts ordered).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I made the final axle spacers for each side:

[​IMG]

I decided to use one of the steel spacers I had and to press it through the brake caliper mounting bracket.
    That required drilling the bracket for a tight fit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And putting the steel spacer in the freezer and heating the aluminum bracket with a propane torch before pressing them in my vice:

[​IMG]

That was one tight fit!
    I thought I was going to have to make a cheater pipe to fit over the vice lever (arm? handle? whatchacallit?) but I was able to slowly sink it through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should have cut a shoulder relief in the plate but I didn't think of that, so the spacer doesn't quite sit flush with the plate but I don't think that will matter and the brake pads line up with the rotor so all should be good.

[​IMG]

^Notice the slight gap where the spacer head isn't flush with the plate?
    The shoulder of the spacer is slightly rounded and I should have noticed that, but didn't.
    I don't want to remove it now.

So, those were the forward steps, the backward step came when I went to install the chain.

The new rear sprocket won't work.
    It is for a 428, but I am using a 520 chain and cs sprocket.
    Duh!

Option 1: find a 428 cs sprocket that will fit the Honda engine and buy another new chain
    Option 2: have a custom sprocket made for the wheel.

I am going with option 2 and will have a 520 sprocket made that bolts onto the RM 85 hub.
    I added 4 more holes in my sprocket carrier that aren't used with the stock RM 85 sprocket so I may have a new sprocket made with 8 bolt holes instead of the 4 it uses.
    Of course, the hub is only 4 bolt so the other 4 bolts would only be holding the sprocket to the carrier so I don't know if it would be worth adding them.

Several places make sprockets so getting a 520 sprocket will be no problem, just an added expense.

All I have left to do is final torque of all bolts and adding a paint line on each one, filling the rear brake line and bleeding it, installing the new sprocket when it arrives and installing the chain, and make a small bracket to hold the rear brake fluid reservoir.

And then....

Start on my next project waiting for attention.
    A 78 year old bike

A 1940 Matchless G3L Africa Corps survivor.

From this:

upload_2018-11-19_7-38-3.png

To this:

upload_2018-11-19_7-38-29.png
  20. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually let the caliper plate float on the axle and the pads center it.

Don
    JagLite likes this.