XR250 hopeless, but at it again!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Dread_lion, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Dread_lion

Dread_lion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I previously started an XR600 thread that is still going after a few years. Its about 95 percent complete, but i cant seem to finish it.
    so what better way to complete it, than to buy another bike and start all over again, before finishing this one. Genius right?:lol3
    anyway, the XR600 is going to be sold when its done, i guess that's why i dont feel pressured to finish it right away, its slowly getting there. The XR250 though, is going to be my TET bike, as my XL600RM is too heavy and too powerfull for me (i'm small and lack experience offroad).

so, i've been working on this bike for a year now, but wanted to show you guys how much work it took. What did we start with? another crap frame, missing parts and needing some welding, and an engine in boxes... YAY! So, another project that any smart person would walk away from, but i like a challenge, and i like buying a bike bit per bit, so that i dont feel, or count too much how much in spend :D
    anyway, pictures of how it all started:
    owner wanted 150 for it, i told him half the bike was missing, wich talked him down to 75!! i have all the papers though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i got the engine bits in a box, along with various small parts. It was missing the brakes, discs, and loads more.

engine parts looking REAL bad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cleans up pretty nicely some of it though
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

frame is rusted, badly welded, so pretty fucked :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cleaned it up a bit and welded a bit better.

[​IMG]

might need some reinforcing in the future, but at the moment, i used a breaker bar to try and break the welds, and couldnt. (please keep in mind i suck at welding and only have a crap stick welder)

then i took apart the pro-link system and found a needle bearing stuck. these bastards cost a stupid amount of money, so i got lucky and found a replacement in my parts. Need to keep the cost down, as parts will be piling up very soon.

[​IMG]

then i started stripping everything else

[​IMG]

need LOTS of parts that where missing, so i got lucky and scored a lot from 1 guy that was parting out an XR600 in parts, luckily, a good few bits fit:

[​IMG]

so after all that, time to strip and repaint the frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was during winter, so i was warming the garage with a little zibro
    [​IMG]

warming up the primer in warm water:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pezz_gs and JimRidesThis like this.
  2. Dread_lion

Oddometer:
    now, for those of you wondering, i dropped my engine off at my friend and engine builder. All he does is RFVC engines, and he's done a few for me. So i figured he would love a puzzle :p.

on to more stuff!

respraying the damn frame with 2K lacquer. This shit is toxic!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

forgot to mention, this is what the back brake looked like, after a few years in the backyard:
    [​IMG]

this is what some work did:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i looked at the forks, stripped them down and rebuilt them with new seals, new oil, etc,...
    i wont bore you with the wrong forks i had (earlier years), that i had to drill out only to find out they where the wrong ones.
    correct forks where found a bit later, at the expense of more cash obviously :p

gory insides:
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]

seems like a lot of parts, but not too bad actually:
    [​IMG]

crappy brakes:
    [​IMG]

needed new pistons and seals, and a good cleanup:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

tried to clean up the plastics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

exhaust:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there where a lot more small things i didnt take pictures of. such as the rear brake, wheels cleanup, and so on.
    started reassembling after this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Dread_lion

Oddometer:
    NOWWWWW!!!! this stuff is going to get more interesting.
    most of the stock stuff is done. I need to check my email for the engine pictures, but in short, this is what happened:
    output shaft was ruined, as was the gearbox, clutch was completely missing. so i bought another engine in parts, and ended up buying a seperate clutch and pieces of a gearbox.
    The engine itself got a new conrod, wich was balanced professionally, also all seals and bearings where replaced. Piston rings where blown too. When i find the engine pics, i will post them.

in the meantime, this is where stuff is going to be a little different.

found a way to fit a LED headlight, sorry, forgot to take pictures of the brackets:
    [​IMG]

found through aliexpress, i modded it a bit so the red park lights would be white! will show more pics from that later too, the cutoff is awesome!

then i found a clarke tank for REAL cheap (75 euro's). as they are made of unobtanium in Europe, you can say i was pretty stoked. Only problem was, they didnt fit correctly!!

mockup:
    [​IMG]

made some brackets:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

small led blinkers, that hopefully wont get damaged in a fall because they are far enough in. If they do, they cost 5euro on Aliexpress
    [​IMG]

cardboard mockup for a custom dash:
    [​IMG]

trying to make it in stainless steel:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

koso speedo i had lying around + ram mount for phone as gps:
    [​IMG]

ignition switch added:
    [​IMG]

i also modded my stator, to use 2 seperate DC circuits, instead of 1 AC and 1 DC.

reinforced the dash, as i wanted to add a battery:
    [​IMG]

(yes i know my welds are crap ;) ).

[​IMG]

under the custom dash:
    [​IMG]

everything was tied together with aliexpress Honda connectors; cheap and easy, will have to see how they hold up.
    This is where i am so far, took nearly a year. The engine is being picked up this weekend. cant wait! still have some things to do to it, but i'm hoping the bike will be done in a few months.

so this is where it stands now. Electics are mostly tested and working:
    [​IMG]

if you guys have any questions about anything, let me know! its been a blast tailoring to my needs and wants, on a budget (even though i'm way over it allready ;) ).
  4. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've built a couple of XR's from piles of parts but never one in that bad of shape. Hats off to you :photog
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Great work. It sure is a nice hobby. Keeps you off the streets and out of the bars!
    brucifer likes this.
  6. Dino de Laurentiis

Dino de Laurentiis Working on it

Oddometer:
    Yeah, totally. Mostly because one spends all the money on the bike so there’s none left for hookers and blow.

@Dread_lion very nice work, keep it up!
    Junglejeff1 and XR4EVER like this.
  7. Dread_lion

Oddometer:
    @dino, yeah, thats exactly it :jack i spend all my money on my bikes, none left for anything else, that includes going to bars etc... :p
    but thanks for the kind words.
    i always start with a lot of motivation on these things, and then gradually learn how F*cked stuff is :p. thats when i decide to just keep going haha, i should know better by now :lol3
    brucifer likes this.
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    It’s autodidactic............there is no college for this.....
  9. Dread_lion

Oddometer:
    well let's just say i'm happy i didnt have to do the engine work on this :p. i generally don't want to dump a lot of money in an engine to grenade it later on, so i leave that to the pro's. The rest however, i've seen a few times before, and with the help of a good manual, you can go a long way. I've had a few friends with some very good advice too. I have been digging deeper into engines at times, and feel less intimidated by them allready.

but for these projects, most of all, you need 3 things, in no particular order: Patience, stubbornness to get through the hard stuff and money for parts that need replacing :rofl

i do LOVE modding and adding electrics. Where most people hate it, this is where i really put in the work to make it do exactly what i want. I did the wiring, including adding the blinkers in record time.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    When we were teenagers our ‘crew’ took many engines apart and only a few went back together. If you want to learn engines just take the ‘extras’ you have apart (and keep the pieces). I too have grown to like electrics. To me it’s fun.
  11. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    The beauty of the XR series is that you can just swap parts from a different model if you can't find the right ones.

My "250L" is a XR400,600,650L,250R,250L with a dash of XR350 for flavor.
  12. Dread_lion

Oddometer:
    ex250mike, that's true. the only problem arises when ordering parts. During this build, i noticed that the front brake on the bike was from an earlier type. i noticed this AFTER i had ordered new seals for the brakes, same with the forks. So i bought a correct set of forks and a correct front brake, so that when i order parts, i can just order the correct year and don't need to think about what bike/year it was for, as there are often small differences.
    for example, the earlier brakes had slightly smaller brake pistons, i think about 1 or 2 mm. same thing with the forks, 39mm for the older ones, vs 41 for the newer ones.
  13. Dread_lion

Oddometer:
    so, from a friend i could get some cheap handlebars, which i could'nt pass up. agreed they are EXTREMELY tacky, but the goal of this project was to get an affordable (read: cheap) bike done, that would be like new technically, but cosmetically i would try and keep costs to a minimum.
    anyway, it ties together well with the 80's-90's look :lol3:D
    the acerbis hand guards, i still had lying around. was missing a few brackets but i found some from a bent handlebar that worked quite well. For those of you who take a close look, you can see my led strips on the hand guards. They are Aliexpress specials :p just cheap led strips that can do yellow and white light. At the moment i have them wired up as blinkers only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the engine is at home, but i still have a LOT of work on it, its missing bolts, need to still take a look at the clutch and so on. so it will be while before i finish it!
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Keep going!
  15. Dread_lion

Oddometer:
    back at it after some delay! finally started working on the engine.

it needed a few bolts, and the bracket for the chain tensioner:
    [​IMG]

everything looks clean and good, my mechanic doesnt fool around!
    [​IMG]

new bolts for the engine, as it was a bit of a mish mash of bolts.
    [​IMG]

then came the fun part... my mechanic told me he didnt have the right tool for the clutch bolt, as he usually works on xr/xl600's, wich are different. I thought i bought the correct tool in advance, but it seemed like i only bought the basket holder tool from EBC.
    i could get the nut tool from aliexpress but that meant waiting at least 2-3 weeks, or i could order one in the UK, wich would also take 2 weeks. Not an option. read somewhere that someone modified a socket. Brilliant! lets go to work!

miscelaneous 24mm socket from the hardware store for 5 euro:
    [​IMG]

cut and grind in the right locations:
    [​IMG]

took about 5, maybe 10mins. easy peasy!!!

[​IMG]

like a gloooovvveeeee!!!!

[​IMG]

apply 60nm of force to finish, and then secure the nut. all done!!!

close with new bolts, tightened to 10nm
    [​IMG]

cleaned up the stator and stator cover:
    [​IMG]

oooh, shiny bolts on a dirty engine, gotta love the contrast :p
    [​IMG]

also cleaned up the oil line and sprayed it over a bit with some black paint. the engine is now about ready to install. i'm going to check the valves before i put it in.
    [​IMG]
    JagLite, Pezz_gs, plugeye and 3 others like this.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Good work man. Thanks for taking the time to post.
  17. Dread_lion

Oddometer:
    i'm glad someone is still reading hahaha. and i'm quite enjoying that i actually have the time to work on it right now. hoping the engine will be in the frame this weekend.
    JagLite likes this.
  18. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You going to drop that dirty motor into that shiny bike?

I'm rebuilding my 94L, some new plastics, frame paint etc... My motor looks about like yours. I need to do something with it but not sure what yet.
  19. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am impressed with the clutch tool!
  20. Dread_lion

Oddometer:
    Exmike: i'm not sure, i might clean it up a little, but to be honest, i'm not dumping a lot money in the looks. This bike needs to be functional, because i want to be able to thrash it without thinking too much about the cosmetics. Thats one of the reasons i dont like my other bike offroad, i'm too carefull as the plastics on those are almost irreplaceble. I only repainted the frame to prevent rust ;).

Fast1076, thanks! It came out easier than expected, and actually works quite well!
    JagLite likes this.