XR250L owners check in

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by slip, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 52 years ago

Oddometer:

Check here for more useless info I learned during the years I raced that engine https://advrider.com/f/threads/1993-xr250l-rags-to-riches.1054875/page-3#post-26626859
    Madscrapper85 likes this.
  2. Glade

Glade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks-I appreciate that.
  3. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    Did you ASK for help here? And no one pointed you toward me?

There is plenty of knowledge freely shared here, but we are not mind readers.

A little oil in the stator side is normal, iirc.
  4. Madscrapper85

Madscrapper85 There's a chance I just sharted

Oddometer:
    Yeah I did ask a few questions already not far back on the pages. Having an issue with my r carb not wanting to idle. It is what it is. No disrespect meant towards youor anyone really just haven't gotten many replies to any post and the few I did weren't very helpful.
    valvecrusher likes this.
  5. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    Well it could be because you did not give enough information for anyone to discern your problem....

All I see is 'bike won't idle, R carb, at sea level'....

How about telling us what jets you are running?
    Do you realize the XR-L head is different from the XR-R head, and therefore can NOT be fueled the same,
    for identical performance?

Bore stock? Jets cleaned? Idle adjuster set to proper RPM/Initial throttle opening? Stock header, etc?
    Carb seals are good. Carb checked for air leaks? checked for other air leaks?(manifold)

Do you have a STRONG bright spark at the plug? What plug you running?

You see, we don't know where to start sleuthing, but we need details,
    or else we presume YOU GOT AN ANSWER and no longer has issues..
    and therefore do not respond.

No offense taken, here. Just trying to help.
    (No one asks much off the RFVC XR-R thread, or the rare RFVC XL250R's either)
  6. Madscrapper85

Oddometer:
    Kinda of why I asked what guys are running in the R carb at sea as a base. Guy I bought it from went through the bike top to bottom he was turning it into a commuter. He was worried about heat mostly. I can't remember what jet size he told me I know I was surprised at how big he was running hence me asking what is being run as I would buy the Jets before I do all the work to get that damn carb out. If I'm going to re jet it I'm probably going to go through it just to see what he really did. Bike starts great normally first kick. It has a bit of a dead spot low but I think he's got it too fat.

Do you know a good place to pick up sprockets for these and a decent gear ratio for all around use but mostly dirt. He told me has a 15t on the front and I would need to shorten the chain to go back to the 12(?) stock setup so that being said is there a chain everybody seems to like on these. Always ran d.i.d chains on my Strom. I'm a tech by trade but never been great with carbs almost didn't buy it but FI wasn't in my budget.

To my knowledge it's a stock 93 XR250L block and head with an R carb and exhaust and a R oil cooler. Pretty sure he's got a K&N filter on it.
  7. Polebridge

Polebridge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool story man, you still riding the 250? I'm looking at getting one for my first bike.
  8. Glade

Glade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Emgo. I'm getting the engine ready for rebuild and wanted to know your opinion about using a copper head gasket instead of something like the composite Cometic. I'm going with a 76mm JE piston so a stock Honda head gasket is not an option.
  9. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 52 years ago

Oddometer:
    I think I always ran the stock head gasket. IRC I placed the gasket on the oversized cylinder, scribed it from underneath and then used a dremel or die grinder to remove the excess material then polish the rough edge with sandpaper.
  10. Glade

Glade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a good idea-thanks again. I should get the engine back by the end of the week and I ordered the top end gaskets today so I hope to be on the trails in a few weeks (also down to bare frame so a lot of other work to be completed).
  11. xrmike

xrmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best way to pull the carb? From the sides or remove the seat or tank and remove from above?
    Thanks
  12. xrmike

xrmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Obviously got it and now know what my starting/kicking problems is/was:
    IMG_1137.jpg IMG_1139.jpg IMG_1180.jpg IMG_1176.jpg
  13. GarageRat

GarageRat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody here looking to sell their XR250L? I know it may seem like a crazy question, but hey, one never knows...
  14. xrmike

xrmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doesn't seem crazy at all. Always better to go to the source.
    I'm in the process of a top-end rebuild always planned for this Winter. Nothing wrong but after almost 30 years and I guess 11,000 miles she's just tired. Maybe these XR's (all of them, not just the 250's) might well be the best products Big Red ever put out? But you can say that about a lot of their products.
    By fate I just picked up my 2019 CRF450L yesterday. Keeping the XR as a 2nd or buddy-bike is one option. The other is selling but happy she'll be good for another 30 years as long as there's fuel & oil.

Engine to the Machine Shop, Pipes to the stripper and heat treater, cases to the media blaster. Frame will remain the same except for rattle-can white:

IMG_1203.jpg
    Emgo likes this.
  15. Madscrapper85

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a affordable larger peg option? Was riding for a bit yesterday and after standing for 30 minutes even in my boots it's just too much pressure.
  16. xrmike

xrmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMS Super Stock

I had their Super Stock version on a TW200 and the build quality was much better than the stock pegs. The same goes for their XR one's. Much, much nicer build & quality. Save your originals/don't throw them out so you can always say you still have OEM take-off parts.

These pictures are from last April when I upgraded mine. Not so much because of standing but because after almost 30 years the OEM's were pretty beat-up and bent. But yeah... they are much easier to stand on. Compared to the OEM's they are "adult-size".

I think I got them from XR's only but now that you have the brand (IMS) & part # you can find and search for the cheapest anywhere. like Amazon or IMS itself.

Seems pretty incredible to find a new part still made aftermarket for such an old bike but the 250's & 650's shared a lot of parts and they made a lot of them:

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1038.jpg
  17. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. xrmike

xrmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Madscrapper85 has a '93 with stock pegs like the one's I have pictured?
    They are mild stamped steel, not like what already looks like thicker after-market that Rick welded or had someone weld on for him. Look closely at the one that you have pictured on the right-side, that's not Honda OEM. Really beautiful welds whoever did that BTW.

I suck at welding (and don't have any of the gear or equipment anyway) and even if I was good I'd have issues welding the nice stout steel to the flimsy looking and thin OEM. But that's just me of course.

Probably why it's easier to just buy the right part and be done with it.
    Have you done this with your bike?
  19. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought some cheap cast ebay pegs for a 650L. cut the perimeter off and welded to the stock pegs. I think it cost me $14 or so?
  20. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thread is dead. Lets post some pics.

Here is my old frankenbike 250L

IMG_20200515_104218502_HDR.jpg IMG_20200509_123719608_HDR.jpg
    Lajbi and Emgo like this.