XR250L owners check in

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by slip, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Streak09

Streak09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking bike! I’ve got an L with R oil cooler as well. I still have an L carb, but with mostly R internals. Just installed an R header with FMF Q4. Anxious to get it out on the trails with the new exhaust.

What tank and pegs are you running? Been looking for some larger replacement pegs.
  2. Vincent_4466

Vincent_4466 Norm

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pa. 1st dirt bike, 69 Penton 125 6-Day
    Thanks - the tank is a Clark 4.2 GAL and the footpegs are generic, wider pegs from eBay that I intended to sharpen but they seem to work well the way they are. Your bike sounds nice - I’m sure it’s going to rip! With your mods I’m sure you’ll find power in all 6 gears. Fun little bikes for sure!
  3. Glade

Glade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice XRL! Thanks for the inspiration. I finally re-started the process of assembling my 96 XR250L. While the engine is out having the 277cc JE piston installed, I will be painting the frame and installing all of the newly rebuilt suspension parts and new frame bearings. I am really looking forward to having the old, simple to maintain but good performing and dependable bike out there again! Have a great riding season and thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

Attached Files:

Vincent_4466 likes this.
  4. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought some pegs off ebay listed for the 250L. Didn't fit, they sent me a second set for a 650L, didn't fit either.
    I cut the cage off them and welded it to the stock footpegs.
    Streak09 likes this.
  5. Skinneyxrlryder

Skinneyxrlryder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyway, Im on a bone stock (except for carb pumper mod) 1996 xr250l, love this little bike.

Im wondering what your favorite tires are? I've been running dunlop d606 and absolutely love the tires. Im not afraid to lean on slab or dirt, they do everything I could ever ask from a tire, except the front wears out twice as fast as the front. I get around 3800 miles from the front, thats hitting the wear bars. Good mileage too, I think.

What do you reccomend?
  6. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tires depend on location, terrain, street/dirt split, price etc...

I've run full MX knobbies when I lived in FL and rode sand and almost no pavment. I now run shinko 705's because I live somewhere else and ride 99% street.

I've run 50/50 tires on another bike but they kinda sucked at everything.

Where you at?
    Street?
    Trails?
    sand?
    clay?
    mud?
    rocks?
  7. Skinneyxrlryder

Oddometer:
    Im im the southwest, I run in all kinds of terrain. One ride ill be down low in the desert, the next one I'll be in the mountains in snow and mud. I usually have a minimum of 50 miles slab, one way, to get out of town and to the dirt.
    I dont think im ready to give up my knobby tires, but im thinking I want to go further on slab and check out new places.
  8. valvecrusher

valvecrusher tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer:
    Kenda K270.

Fronts are up to 20k tires on street only.
    Rears are 5.5k to 6500 miles on street only.

They do have a negative. When NEW, and you lean in curves at speed....they shimmy, and wiggle around....it's kinda unnerving.
    (the side knobs are tapered, long thin at ends, a thick base)

BUT
    When you wear down the SIDE knobs, when not getting worried about the jiggle, they wear down and become very unremarkable.

Most folks get too unnerved, and change them out saying.....they won't stick when leaning on the road.
    They do NOT let go in curves,
    but until you wear the 'chicken strips' by leaning it over, it's a wierd feeling.

If you ride a crapload of flat roads, straight lines the feeling of leaning is more pronounced but the tire NEVER lets go...it just wiggles.

Its a cheap, long wearing, great traction 50/50 tire that lasts a HUGE long time...

Very predictable traction.
    Skinneyxrlryder and Chico like this.
  9. Skinneyxrlryder

Oddometer:
    I have a set of dunlop d605's on their way, similar to the kenda k270. Thanks for the response.
  10. Dsgb031

Dsgb031 The older I get, the faster I was

Oddometer:
    Hey there gentlemen. Is there ANY way that one of you fine gentlemen could measure the width of the rear hub for me? I’m working on a project and I need a disk brake, Cush drive rear hub that will fit my swingarm. Here is a swingarm that a few of you might not have seen before, it’s from a Japanese market NX250 called the AX-1. Anyway, the width is about 8.25” at the axle. If you want you could just measure the distance between your sprocket and disc so that you don’t have to remove anything. Thanks a bunch guys!! image.jpg
  11. Carve

Carve n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello! Just picked up a ‘96 last month and have really enjoyed this bike on the trails chasing my kids on the tight northwest single track as they learn to ride. Surprising giddy up on the road and much more comfortable than I thought it would be.

I’ve got quite a bit of sketchy wiring to clean up by a previous owner, he got rid of the dash and added dual headlights that look cool but don’t work very well.

My plan is to clean it up, adjust valves, fix the wiring, reinstall a stock headlight and dash, dial in the carb, maybe some wider foot pegs and stiffer suspension (or lose 20 lbs ).

other bikes:
    99 KLR650
    2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sport
  12. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I measured with calipers, had to eyeball some surfaces so they are not exact had to add totals to get overall.
    swingarm I to I -----222mm +-3mm
    hub O to O -----------183mm +-3mm

I can measure the spacers and brake bracket if you need.
  13. Dsgb031

Oddometer:
    That would be really awesome if you wouldn’t mind. I’m pretty sure that I am going to pull the trigger. My swingarm is about 206mm I to I which is more narrow than yours however, the distance from sprocket to disc needed is a few millimeters more WHEN USING THE AX-1 brake system which I do not have. I’m wanting to use the 250L brake caliper and bracket which might solve both of my issues because from what I can see the 250L has a decent amount of space between the sprocket and the swingarm. The AX-1 chain line is almost to the limit of how close you can run to your swingarm, there is only a 10mm gap between the sprocket and swingarm so I’m hoping that I can simply trim the sprocket side spacer a few millimeters and be golden. Having those other measurements will really help me out though so thank you
    The first picture is my swingarm, the next two are pictures that the seller sent me. I may need to use a different caliper bracket to free up a little bit of room, I don’t know yet
    92757958-BF78-4547-9EB4-9312A4DF5DF8.jpeg 769FDADD-EC89-4081-B329-42700D26B73A.jpeg 39D4D0F2-5034-42DD-86EB-ECF772CFF831.jpeg
  14. Dsgb031

Oddometer:
    I don’t know how easily you could measure this but if you could give me an approximate measurement of the swingarm width where it bolts onto the frame that would be much appreciated. I know that it’s a LONG-SHOT but perhaps I could simply swap swingarms….. they are both pro-link designs, they are from the same timeframe, they have the same size mounting bolt, Honda loves using their parts bin…. It might make this stupid easy!
  15. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fished a tape through the frame.

swingarm front at frame bolt is ------ 8.5"

Brake bracket is --------------------------35.5mm
    Hub to swingarm gap L -------------------8mm
    Hub to brake bracket R -------------------8mm
    Those are exact measurements

The spacers are longer because the bearings are recessed into the hub. I cant measure those without pulling the wheel.
  16. Dsgb031

Oddometer:
    Wow….the swingarms are EXACTLY the same width up front…however, the 250L uses a different style of linkage. It looks like the linkage attaches to the top of the swingarm whereas the NX it attaches to the bottom. I don’t know if that could be done. Thank you SOOOO much for the measurements though. That REALLY helps me a lot in making the decision to pull the trigger on these wheels!!
    I hate to ask you for one more but if it’s not too much trouble could you please check the distance between the sprocket and swingarm as well as the disc and swingarm. Those are the last ones I swear!!! Thank you so much again.
  17. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Distance between sprocket and swingarm is --------27mm
  18. Dsgb031

Oddometer:
    Wow!!! That’s where I am going to narrow it up then!!!
  19. Dsgb031

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately the guy who was going to sell me his wheels backed out so if there is anyone out there with an extra 250L wheel that they will sell please message me.
  20. Streak09

Streak09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Everyone! Does anyone have (or would graciously take) a picture of the pumper carb spring arrangement. I lost the spring several years ago and haven’t bothered with it. Today I was practicing some low speed stuff and noticed it was very jerky off idle. I am thinking about trying to replace the spring to see if it helps things.

I welcome any other suggestions as well. My bike has mostly R model carb innerds (needle and jets), R header, and FMF R muffler. So, I may be well outside the typical situation.

Thanks!