XR250L owners check in

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by slip, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Streak09

Streak09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tinkered around with this the other day. Bought 200 assorted spring kit from harbor freight for $5. One of the smaller strong springs worked out well. It’s a tight squeeze to get it on there, I had to be creative with some dental picks. Right side cover needs to come off. The frame is directly in the way of straight access.

There is a notable difference in pickup from 0-1/4 throttle. I leaned out the idle jet and the bike seems to run great. Seems to have a higher top end as well, but that doesn’t make much sense. Probably just in my head. 9CDA8015-566E-421C-878E-C29382D6F525.jpeg 822F4062-F9BC-4C1B-B5BC-3C87C13E5AF0.jpeg 3FCDF37E-7E24-4377-8AB2-E26DF484BD78.jpeg
  2. MrFurious

MrFurious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, found a `94 250L for sale not to far from me today and am considering calling the guy tomorrow and possibly driving down to check it out, but one thing I want to know and can't seem to find a definitive answer to online is whether they have electric start or not. I've seen a lot of spec tables that say then did, but have also seen a few pages that said U.S. models didn't get the magic button. Not seeing any mention of a starter in the parts diagrams, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask those who actually own them since Google has failed me. Also, is there anything specific I should look for on these as a warning sign to walk away?

Bike has 13,000 miles and doesn't look too bad, but doesn't look great either. Pictures lead me to believe it was treated like most XR's were - meaning little to no maintenance over the years. Figure at minimum it will need all new bearings/bushings/races, fork oil change, chain/sprockets, oil change, air filter, tires/tubes and possibly a carb rebuild and a brake job.
  3. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    US models are kick only.

Only specific thing I'd check is pull an inspection cap and take a peek at the cam lobes. Head / cam parts are NLA.

go ahead an add a shock rebuild to the list if you buy it.
  4. MrFurious

MrFurious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I went and looked at it this morning - came home empty handed. It was rougher than even the pic's showed and the kid (early 20's) wasn't willing to come down at all on his price. Honestly I would have only been comfortable giving $800 for it in the condition it was in. He'd also never transferred the title into his name which was another issue.
    Streak09 likes this.