XR400 swingarm bolt

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DrLewall, Dec 11, 2009.

1. DrLewall

DrLewall Master of bating

Oddometer:
    if I remember right, I cut between the grease seal and the frame on both sides..that got the motor out of the frame..then I cut the swingarm behind the motor mount which made it easy to pry the swing arm off the motor mount..I then had to cut the rusted bushing long ways to get it off one side of the bolt..then the press was used to puch the bolt thru the engine mount..was pretty simple really :huh sorta..didnt cost me but a new swing arm (which I got a good deal on..lucky me)..good luck tho..I feel your pain!! Been there and done that and got the pix to prove it! :D
  2. Abominable

Abominable Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I've been attempting to cut through at the side of the Oil Seal and I'm still making no progress on the cut. Just burning through blades (Metal blades). I'm thinking that the blades are just too weak or I'm applying the incorrect amount of pressure. It seems that the blades are just rounding their teeth on the rounded surface of the bolt and not digging in. Any blade advice? Cutting oil? Magic?

Attached Files:

3. sporthog93

sporthog93 Sporthog93

Oddometer:
    air hammer probably would have taken it right out. I not had one resist yet.
  4. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    :eek1 YIKES!

Use some oil..any kind really..and not too much pressure..you dont hafta stand on it...just enuff, but not too much..and be patient..be sure you are not cutting into the frame or the motor..ok to distroy the seal tho, that can be replaced...and make sure you use metal cutting blades..that one blade in the pic is NOT a metal cutting blade :D
  5. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    hope you can see where to cut between the seal and the frame on both sides

[​IMG]
  6. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    This is why EVERY axle shaft, pivot or anything here in the salt belt gets slathered in grease in this garage. Also a great case for indoor storage of any machine!
  7. sporthog93

sporthog93 Sporthog93

Oddometer:
    OMG!!!!!!! that got expensive in a hurry!!!!
  8. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    Just pocket change to us Millionaires! :huh
  9. Abominable

Abominable Adventurer

Oddometer:

Well past the point of using an air hammer (although I did attempt this, a hollow jack, a treaded rod press, taunting it, and various other means). I picked up the bike in this condition from a guy who gave up on it. He had already mushroomed the head of the bolt, so there is no way it is going through now. I'll be making another attempt tonight.
  10. Abominable

Abominable Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Free at last. I was able to get a angle grinder with a cut off wheel in there. Now for Step 2: Get the bolt free of the cases. I ended up cutting on the other side of the oil seal (insides). The bolt is thicker there but I could get the angle grinder in at a better location. Unfortunately this has left me with the mushroomed threaded end of the bolt still in the frame! Only one more cut I guess.

Attached Files:

• back.JPG
      back.JPG
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
  11. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    in this pic you can see where I took a cut off wheel and cut length wise thru the bushing and thne I took a screwdriver and pry'd it apart and worked with it till it did..good luck

[​IMG]
  12. Abominable

Abominable Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the advise. In the end I cut through the bolt on the left side of the engine about 1/4" from the cases. The remaining bushing came right off but the bolt was still highly seized in the cases. With heat, a homemade puller, and some motivational taps with the little sedge, the bolt slowly worked it's way free.

Now time to split the cases, replace the main and counter shafts, buy a new swingarm, possibly rebuild the top end, clean away all the various metal filling that have made their way into the engine, and then I'm riding. Oh, and likely repaint the frame, rebuild the forks, and of course, put it all back together.

This weekend the head comes off. Any rebuild tips?

Attached Files:

13. DrLewall

Oddometer:
  14. sporthog93

sporthog93 Sporthog93

Oddometer:
    Ive got a swingarm I'll sell, $1800 and you can have the rest of the motorcycle too!!
  15. ibafran

ibafran villagidiot

Oddometer:
    In addition to using this as a test of PB Blaster, one could test the home-made 50/50 acetone/ATF penetrating solution.

Mount the bolt/bushings in the press and let us know which came off easier?

CARP! That mother was really siezed in there.

If the new parts do not slide easily, are they going to be relieved a smidgen to make it all a bit smoother? Will you use anti-seize instead of grease? Will you drill an oil drip hole in the top of the swingarm pivot and not care about trying to seal off the pivot bearing surfaces? I would be thinking of a serious retro-fit or re-design. Maybe cut some spiral oil ways in there? I hate it when the manufactures make something fast and easy for plant assembly only to have it haunt an owner a few years later.
  16. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    a little preventative maintence goes a long ways here...every six months, I pull the bolt and slather it up in goo, then put it back together..takes maybe 3 to 5 minutes, if that. :thumb I vowed to NEVER wrestle with a rusted up pivot bolt and I meant it! :D
  17. Tukata

Tukata ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer:
    So am I the only one who coats the entire swingarm bolt in anti-sieze?

I mean it exist for a reason:norton
  18. fuel-cycle

fuel-cycle 3 wheels or less 49CFR571

Oddometer:

After soaking the accessible areas with both automotive brake cleaner, and liberal applications of PB Blaster in between hitting the bolt with steam, a propane torch and a heavy mallet my '01 XR4 swing arm bolt would not budge, and I thought I'd have to cut it out at some point. But my trail boss said put it back together and ride on it, it might loosen up with all the vibrations.

Sure enough with several rides gone by, today with a few additional squirts of PB blaster and a good whack ... out it came.

You never know.
  19. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    Lucky you! I tried that too, for over a year..no go..gawd I hope I NEVER have to go thru that agn! I pull the bolt every 6 months now and grease it up :thumb

Congrats on getting yours out! must be nice! as you have read, mine was a real pain in the ass! :huh
  20. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    since i bought the bike several years ago, never taken the swing arm bolt out. didn't know there is a problem there until i read this thread....hahaha.

today i tried to remove the swing arm of my 03. like many of you guys, mine wont budge. the good, the bolt turns, just won't slide out after several pounding. need to get some pb blaster and soak it for a few days.

thinking of soak, heat, twist, soak, heat, twist, then pound it out. will give an update....with the good news...:evil.