XR400 swingarm bolt

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DrLewall, Dec 11, 2009.

1. DrLewall

DrLewall Master of bating

Oddometer:
    Ed..I do not remember a bushing going thru the back of the motor. I do remember the bushing in the swingarm tho, those were the ones that were nature welded (rusted) to the pivot bolt.

this is one of those bushings that I had to cut off the pivot bolt to get it out of the motor

[​IMG]

and here is the pivot bolt still in the motor..note that on the left is the other swing arm bushing..I was able to drive the pivot bolt out from the right side of this pic

[​IMG]

Now this is the pivot bolt..where the rust spot is, is where it went thru the motor.

[​IMG]

If I remember correctly, the only 'bushings' on the motor there are the ones evident in the pix, and I think those are part of the engine case. I have and extra motor sitting in the box and I will pull it out and look closer at it so see if it is possible that they are molded into the cases..will get back to ya on that.

I lucked out when I had to cut thru the swingarm that there happen to be one on ebay and if I remember right, I got it for less than $200...OEM price was abt $500. Yeah it cost, but was worth it to me..I got tired of wrestling with it and wanted it off. Good luck and I will get back to ya on the bushing thing, unless someone beats me to it.
  2. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only bushing in the engine case are the locating dowels that align one side to the other. About 1" long.
  3. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now I have a good picture of what's involved. We'll start with drilling the ends if the SA bolt away to separate the frame from the engine+swingarm...that SA bolt is about 15mm OD

Then start boring the SA bolt out of the sleeves that are inside either side of the swing arm.

I managed to get a whole frame and swing arm as backup....except the frame I got has the tubes under the engine kinda mashed up...useable if ABSOLUTELY necessary....but you've shown the frame can be separate from engine and swing arm with little or no damage

That leaves getting that bit of SA bolt out of the back of the engine as the remaining tricky bit

Thanks , Ed
  4. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever had their swing arm seize on them or is it a common problem? I mean, I know it is good piece of mind and maintenance and all but man oh man I don’t think I would be hacking my bike apart until it would be absolutely the last resort. I’m pretty sure that half of the XR’s out there have a stubborn swing arm bolt and people ride on them forever without having any problem. I have a 96' XR250 and I'm not even going to look at the bolt until my swing arm seizes (which will probably be never). It functions fine now and I'm sure it could function better but I’m not going to go all Edward Sawzall Hands on it until I absolutely have to. Just for reference between myself and my cousins and uncles we have, and ride the crap out of, every model of full sized XR made including the 350 and 500. We are all sticklers for maintenance but have never taken the swing arm bolt out and have never had a swing arm seize. I'm just thinking this all may be a little "putting the cart before the horse" type deal. But hey more power to ya! :ricky
  5. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    What's it gonna hurt to 'try' and get it out? :dunno worst that can happen is it won't move..then you go with your plan to leave it till it seizes..BUT, if it comes out, even with a few whacks of a BFH or an impact wrench, you can then service it and not worry abt it never comin out..worth a try in my book..and as for 'last resort', been there and done that and posted the pix to prove it! :bluduh
  6. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    AC909:
    No fooling....my swing arm is fine and riding is not impacted....BUT....maybe I'm nuts. I've just completed a 350 mile adventure ride into north central PA with my 1996 XR440 geared up to run 65mph all day long. Now that it starts properly, I wonder if I need to spend $5000 to $10000 for a WRR Yamaha, a CRF250R Honda, or a 350 or 450 KTM. This old dog meets my needs.....so spending some sweat and a few bucks to keep it running for 5 years or so is a reasonable plan. Sure...I could leave it alone, but that makes me uncomfortable about a breakdown 50 miles from nowhere. I have access to a machine shop to do an involved bore-out of the swing arm bolt over the winter, so I think I can avoid the sawzall scene...even though I have one as backup, and I have a good used swing arm.
  7. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    I hear you guys believe me. My XR is my trustworthy stead. I took it on the TAT (see my sig line for the RR) and am about to do a weekend of riding in West Virginia's Hatfield McCoy on it. I will check the bolt now but if she is not going to budge I'm still going to ride it like I always have and not go hacking her apart. Now, when the time comes for the motor to be pulled, I suppose, I will have to deal with the bolt then like the OP. But hey, it’s a XR that day may never come! :freaky
  8. Wheedle

Wheedle I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer:
    Why would you need a CNC mill? Hell, someone who knows what theyre doing with piloted reamers and a good strong drill motor could do the job. You'd waste more time setting up the CNC than it would take to do on a good drill press...
  9. Johnny Lawless

Johnny Lawless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just changed the swingarm bearings on my 650R, and it was pretty fucking bad. That bitch is now going to get new swingarm bearings every year, whether she needs it or not.
  10. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    :clap
  11. hondahead

hondahead n00b

Oddometer:
    I just bought another xr400. Doesn't like like the swing arm bolt has been out for awhile. Wish me luck!
  12. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    Good Luck! :thumb
  13. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nightmare thread:huh
  14. xr400r

xr400r Long timer

Oddometer:
    very true.
  15. TMix

TMix n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Doc:

How about giving us your detailed instructions on your routine maintenance routine to pull that swingarm bolt. Bike on stand, rear wheel lifted, etc. It seems to me that the swingarm puts the bolt in a bind with the load when it is up on the stand.

I want to make sure I am giving my 01 her best chance of releasing that SA bolt before I go to the great lengths. It might be OK to ride till it siezes but I bet I have to replace the chain guide before then.

Thanks,

Tmix.
  16. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:

Seriously, I am already afraid of my Chinese press with minimal pressure. There was a thread on pirate 4x4 about those arbor plates exploding
  17. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    yes, get the rear wheel off the ground..I have not had any problems with things getting out of "alignment" when pulling the bolt out..I service and inspect it every 6 months..super easy to do (much easier than not pulling it. :eek1)..takes less than 3 minutes to pull, inspect, grease and install..and comparing that to the 10 hours of fighting it and cutting things up and replacing parts, 3 minutes every 6 months is a no brainer! :deal
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  19. DrLewall

Oddometer:
  20. Purch23

Purch23 Dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    I just checked my 2001 XR400 SA bolt, frozen. I let some PB blaster soak and hit it with the sledgehammer, nothing. Oh well. Gonna leave as is.