XR400 swingarm bolt

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DrLewall, Dec 11, 2009.

1. miguelitro

miguelitro I like the ads, in fact, give me more ads.

Oddometer:
    I dealt with this on an xr650r and kept dumping pb blaster in there and then riding and racing the bike. One time, after 6 months, i went to put more pb blaster on it and the damn thing near fell out!
    Mike
  2. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    when i took mine out, i had the same problem. the issue is not the swing arm bolt is seized, but there are sections of the bolt that is rusted and built up on the surface, thus the diameter is now too big to go through the bearing or bushing. the more i pushed it, the rust just get jammed inside and made it more difficult to slide.

i used lots of liquid penetrant, wd40, etc., then combination of hammering and impact wrenching until the rust powder dripped down. it took me 3 nights.

try not to mushroom the bolt end. i used a driver (similar to a punch with a step) that went inside the hole with a little shoulder resting against the bolt tip.

the swing arm bolt was pitted and thrashed.

good luck!
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    I've welded a slide hammer onto the head of a stubborn swingarm bolt to get it out. They work pretty well and compared to beating it out from the other end, the threaded area doesn't get deformed which has the potential to compound the removal problem. Used a 3/8 rod about 16" in length with a 3~5# weight. Unlike a hammer, you get a solid concentrated hit each time, doesn't tear up the frame where you miss with the hammer ether. Add lots of PB a couple times a day of a period of 3 or 4 days before hand.
  4. DrLewall

DrLewall Master of bating

Oddometer:
    Excellent idea! :thumb

I am gonna quote this in the first post so that those looking for help, may avoid the nitemare
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    It's all about sharing the knowledge, Happy New Year!
  6. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    So. Is the general consensus to try to get it out and keep it lubed, but if it's stuck, to just let it go and deal with it when it becomes unavoidable? I swapped out my rear spring a few weeks ago. everything else came apart no problem. Swingarm moves free, no issues, but I tried taking it out with no luck. Hit it with an impact a couple times and tried getting some PB blaster in on it, but nothing. I went ahead and put it all back together and figured I could find a way to just work on it over time, but I don't really see a way to get something like PB blaster to soak in and do any good without laying the bike on it's side and letting it work its way in. :scratch
  7. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb:thumb
  8. Purch23

Purch23 Dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    Same with my bike. Swingarm moves freely. I say yes just leave it for now until it becomes an unavoidable issue.
  9. Purch23

Purch23 Dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    How about this? Wrap safety wire around the end of the swingarm bolt and loosen the swingarm nut backing it into the safety wire. Maybe try and duct tape the nut and wire for added support so the nut doesn't fall off one day while riding. PB blaster the SA pivot points regularly. Keep riding the bike like that. Tension on the SA bolt and pivot points may eventually brake it free if the PB blaster penetrates well enough.

Thoughts?
  10. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    The problem is the area where the bolt goes through the motor, it corrodes which is like it's growing in diameter. I'd deal with it or plan on just leaving it forever, I doubt it's going to free up to where it gets easier.

Another removal method that might work is to get it in a press, with force applied to the threaded end, spin the bolt with an air wrench at the other end at the same time, maybe throw some heat at the engine cases too. The combination of some serious pressure and rotation might do the trick.
  11. mekros

mekros Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a similar problem on a different Honda (CRM250AR). I used a product called liquid spanner and had to lay the bike down on both sides to let it penetrate, it did the job well, I could just drift the bolt out and clean it up.

Can anyone tell me what the length of your swingarm bolts are, and the length of the threaded section?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk
  12. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. mekros

mekros Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thanks

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315b using Tapatalk
  14. Est650

Est650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting reading

I have a 1993 klx 650 which has never had its pivot bolt removed. I once tried to tease it out but now I know how stuck it really is :eek1
  15. mekros

mekros Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me the length of your rear axle bolt is, as well as the threaded section?
  16. G600

G600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Rear wheel axle?

[​IMG]
  17. mekros

mekros Adventurer

Oddometer:
    excellent, thanks
  18. hondahead

hondahead n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah it's stuck. I don't need it out yet. But it's stuck good! I have a new swingarm if worse comes to worse.
  19. CCTigers

CCTigers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a local guy offering a 97 xr400r for 900 obo. He says it runs great, has 2 new tires, but the swingarm bolt is not original, but he has one on order. Should I even go look at it?
  20. fuel-cycle

fuel-cycle 3 wheels or less 49CFR571

Oddometer:

Yes!

Then use this if you buy it. Kroil is amazing stuff.

[​IMG]